Public land trail cam use inquiry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: Public land trail cam use inquiry

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:06 am

I'm not a big trail cam guy but I've used them for future intel. I like setting a few up on spots I have hunches about and let them run from Sept to late Nov. Then check them when I hunt the area only or when the season is over. I know they dont capture everything that is happening but if I see good buck movement on those cams at the right times, I know those are spots I want to hunt the following year. I'm real low key with them and dont rely on them for much.

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 am

I guess that’s stuff I don’t worry about much... I’d prefer a random trail camera over big brother any day and I’m sure he’s watching :whistle:
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:53 am

I put the cameras up and would rather do that than kill the deer. I just thoroughly enjoy checking cameras. I have so many cameras and so many 150+ deer I won’t be able to hunt them all and I still want more.

I don’t really care if I walk by someone else’s or not because I figure they’ll do exactly what I do-delete the picture and not think much about it. A group of three guys walked by a $200 camera of mine over a mile in the woods and didn’t touch it. 9/10 people will not steal them
tricospinner

Unread postby tricospinner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I know - who is going to hang a tc and take it down before nightfall???
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:08 am

There is no provision for privacy on public land. A game camera, another hunter, the kid from down the block may all unintentionally capture stuff.

In my line of work, we are required to take photographs to document things. Some folks get all antsy at photos being taken and as long as I'm on a sidewalk, in a public park, or some other public area, can legally photograph anything that is visible. Imagine the Google car - it drives along videotaping everything is goes by.

Say this not to alarm anyone, but to inform. We have little true privacy.

Down here we have a refuge we hunt that has the dawn to dark rule for trail cameras and it is crazy. Otherwise we can hang em and run them. Just want to know what time the deer come thru - if it is 0900 or just before dark. That way I'm not in the stand stinking up the area.
Wind Gypsy

Unread postby Wind Gypsy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 am

Swampman wrote:I just read through the 2020 Minnesota hunting regulations. I do not see anywhere that says trail cameras are allowed on public lands. I did find that trail cameras can NOT be left overnight on WMAs or Federal lands in Minnesota.

I cant seem to find anywhere that it wholesale says they are illegal on federal lands. I've seen WMA's and WPAs but not so much USFS.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Have 2 cameras I keep meaning to put out as I haven’t shot anything yet and with post rut, post gun, late season hunting here it’s tough to find a good buck on public.

Usually locate deer by scouting with a stand on my back. Have few new areas pretty far in I may try a camera or too.

Have used on private for years and near my house for fun and to see how deer are moving (can’t hunt there).

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Have 2 cameras I keep meaning to put out as I haven’t shot anything yet and with post rut, post gun, late season hunting here it’s tough to find a good buck on public.

Usually locate deer by scouting with a stand on my back. Have few new areas pretty far in I may try a camera or too.

Have used on private for years and near my house for fun and to see how deer are moving (can’t hunt there).

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
Rhlde80

Unread postby Rhlde80 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:10 am

Regardless of your opinion its best to contact the local game warden to clear up any questions you have about regulations. I spoke with our local Warden a few weeks ago about this very subject and was informed it is not legal in Minnesota to leave them overnight. He gave me his card and asked that I share any I find with him on OnX.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:17 am

Rhlde80 wrote:Regardless of your opinion its best to contact the local game warden to clear up any questions you have about regulations. I spoke with our local Warden a few weeks ago about this very subject and was informed it is not legal in Minnesota to leave them overnight. He gave me his card and asked that I share any I find with him on OnX.

Not legal on state land, federal land, or not legal on any public land?
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:04 am

Pudster wrote:
Rhlde80 wrote:Regardless of your opinion its best to contact the local game warden to clear up any questions you have about regulations. I spoke with our local Warden a few weeks ago about this very subject and was informed it is not legal in Minnesota to leave them overnight. He gave me his card and asked that I share any I find with him on OnX.

I think none of the above.
Rhlde80

Unread postby Rhlde80 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 am

Pudster wrote:

We only talked about WMA, SNA and other state owned lands. There are no state forest or federal lands in his jurisdiction. I asked about SNA's (Science and Nature areas) specifically as I have ran into a pile of cameras on one specific SNA in our area. I was also looking for clarification, so when I ran into the Game Warden I figured who better to ask.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”