Opinion in strategy here

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deltaninja

Opinion in strategy here

Unread postby Deltaninja » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:58 am

42352169-C94B-498D-9EC8-A34D455A32F6.jpeg

I’m trying to upload a screenshot to get some thoughts and inputs. Private ground that has produced some good deer. I’ve seen some recent trail cam pics of some good ones. Here’s the setup. Private ground/ag fields to S and W. Public big woods to E,N. Predominant wind direction is SW-N,NE. Oaks scattered everywhere. Lots of terrain as you can tell solid timber with a few select cut areas scattered everywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Opinion in strategy here

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Lots of great terrain features and options. Great looking place. My favorite spot is the two clear cuts coming together in that creek bottom. It has 4 perfect points coming together in the hub. If there isnt deer sign there then I quit! Lol
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:22 am

Would evening only sit be best way to hunt that bottom? Winds will be swirling in there. My approach would be to hunt evening and hope thermals would flow down creek channel to the SE. only thing is I’m not sure if the creek has enough water to pull them out? It’s basically a run off drainage? Thoughts?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:18 pm

I wouldn’t rely on evening only during the rut. I would hunt the spot DK mentioned and get close to where those trails merge. U will go over top of most. And during rut u don’t know which direction a buck will come from. Drop milkweed repeatedly throughout the day so u no where u gotta shoot him and roll the dice. Now if u do know bedding or a favorable travel route pick a wind that doesn’t defeat your purpose. In my experience down in those bottoms deer rely more on thermal than wind direction. Something u might wanna consider when picking a tree. Those valleys and drainages act like air ducts
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:18 am

Thanks for the advice fellas!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”