Another Parking Lot SLOB

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cutter

Another Parking Lot SLOB

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Here's the scenario. 190 inch buck is running around the public I hunt and he's not in the main section. I'm mortally convinced he's a deer that's 1. Watching the parking lot or 2. In the small patch of cover next to an access point no one ever hunts. I've narrowed it down to two spots and 1 of these has everything: security cover, wind advantage, water, food, and an escape route. I'm planning on taking a swing on where I think he is. The spot I think he's in has one access point and if you go in you might jump him and he runs across the river. Now I think I can slip in on him, but I've got a question. This river runs west to east. It's fairly wide, water speed is decent. I think he's bedding in there on a North/North West wind. With the water going west and the wind coming from the north. It seems bullet proof in my mind seeing that there might be a constant swirling wind for him almost all day. With that combination of variables has anyone experienced a significant swirling wind? Whether you have or haven't, how would you go about beating that swirl considering the land is flat other than a steady slope heading to the river?

P.S. No one here knows the car I drive right? :lol:

BRoth82
500 Club

Re: Another Parking Lot SLOB

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Would it swirl on a calm wind? It should draw down to the river at least in the evening
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Water flowing creates it's own wind flow.

Learned that in advanced firefighting, you can breath air off water blowing out from a firehouse.

My thinking if that river has deep enough water and is flowing good that it will help draw your scent away from the area if you use the river for access.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:42 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:Water flowing creates it's own wind flow.

Learned that in advanced firefighting, you can breath air off water blowing out from a firehouse.

My thinking if that river has deep enough water and is flowing good that it will help draw your scent away from the area if you use the river for access.

It is pretty deep, and I'll have to back door him from the river and likely setup pretty high on a trail he's using to cross. I would like to think he'd be within 80 yards from the water for escape and thermal purposes and not directly in the center of the bedding area.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:54 pm

BRoth82 wrote:Would it swirl on a calm wind? It should draw down to the river at least in the evening

I'm hoping it will go straight downstream and I believe you are right. I've just never thought of what two perpendicular winds might do when they meet. Considering the north wind from upstream will carry down stream heading west and meet the north wind that's blowing out of the bedding cover. There's a bend in the river there, not an oxbow, but a decent turn. Behind that is a ridge that's essentially a cliff. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it's an interesting idea and a part of the whitetail madness that's infected my brain.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:40 am

Cutter wrote:P.S. No one here knows the car I drive right? :lol:

I'm not sure.. send me a picture of it just to double check that I don't!
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:55 pm

I thought this was going to be about guys leaving trash and turds in the parking lot again
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Cutter, so what happened? I imagine you've gone in there by now.

If not, I would take my milkweed in binoculars and be floating that river, hugging the opposite bank to reduce my noise. Keep in mind that the rivers are going to create an edge. This can swirl the wind where the trees meet the open air above the water. I feel like that's more of a disturbance to airflow then the movement of the water itself. Kind of like an open area in the middle of the dense woods that causes swirling winds.

No way to really learn and know without just going.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:13 am

Motivated wrote:Cutter, so what happened? I imagine you've gone in there by now.

If not, I would take my milkweed in binoculars and be floating that river, hugging the opposite bank to reduce my noise. Keep in mind that the rivers are going to create an edge. This can swirl the wind where the trees meet the open air above the water. I feel like that's more of a disturbance to airflow then the movement of the water itself. Kind of like an open area in the middle of the dense woods that causes swirling winds.

I went in there last night and hunted it. I waited for a NE/E to make a move. Theres a big rub on a cedar tree about 6 inches around and very high up just across the street that's facing the proposed bedding. The rub looked like he sandwhiched the tree with his brows and raked it up and down. I looked back at the weather data and correlated when it was made. A lot of the sign was laid down during 2 of the cold fronts we got. Based on the rub, I aged it to be the from the first front. On that front we had a N wind. So I went in last night and hunted a transition edge where there's an active scrape. The winds did behave to a certain point, but I still got some swirling. There's a good one in there, Hard to say what buck it is right now. Across the street on top there is a big oak flat where the food is, Likely why that rub is where it is. I put a camera on that trail five feet off the road, I'll know who is using it this week when I go check it. As for the hunt, heard some blue jays raising , but 0 deer. If he's not on camera crossing the street, I'll have to move on. Part of the process is hunting where they aren't to find where they are.
westbound

Unread postby westbound » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm

Cutter wrote:
Motivated wrote:Cutter, so what happened? I imagine you've gone in there by now.

I went in there last night and hunted it. I waited for a NE/E to make a move. Theres a big rub on a cedar tree about 6 inches around and very high up just across the street that's facing the proposed bedding. The rub looked like he sandwhiched the tree with his brows and raked it up and down. I looked back at the weather data and correlated when it was made. A lot of the sign was laid down during 2 of the cold fronts we got. Based on the rub, I aged it to be the from the first front. On that front we had a N wind. So I went in last night and hunted a transition edge where there's an active scrape. The winds did behave to a certain point, but I still got some swirling. There's a good one in there, Hard to say what buck it is right now. Across the street on top there is a big oak flat where the food is, Likely why that rub is where it is. I put a camera on that trail five feet off the road, I'll know who is using it this week when I go check it. As for the hunt, heard some blue jays raising , but 0 deer. If he's not on camera crossing the street, I'll have to move on. Part of the process is hunting where they aren't to find where they are.

Hopefully the camera has the big boy on it for you. But, just in case you do decide to move on I wanted to let you know that you can PM me the coordinates and I can try to find out for you whether he's really in there, or not. Free of charge, of course. :dance: All kidding aside, I think you've got a solid plan and hope you smack him someday soon. Good luck and happy hunting!
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:00 am

westbound wrote:
Cutter wrote:

Hopefully the camera has the big boy on it for you. But, just in case you do decide to move on I wanted to let you know that you can PM me the coordinates and I can try to find out for you whether he's really in there, or not. Free of charge, of course. :dance: All kidding aside, I think you've got a solid plan and hope you smack him someday soon. Good luck and happy hunting!

Hahahaha so the plot thickens yesterday i went to the point off the tree planting and sure enough there's a bed with a cedar next to it gored up to my chest. I figured it would be best to just know rather than waste hunts. He's not going to get blown out forever, but he might run circles around me if I educate him enough. I was right there just by map scouting and doing what I learned here, he's got 2 exits. Picking the right tree is the trick. He told on himself when he rubbed that tree by the road. Moved cam to a scrape nearby, he's going to come it.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 am

Good job jumping right in. I think the knowledge you gained was well worth it.

Since I have limited time available, jumping in seems to be the correct answer for me. Patterns change and places go cold. With the rut coming up , you just don't know when he will start roaming around and get killed. And since its public land, you don't know when somebody else will move in and booger it up.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 am

Hope you catch up with that Slob!
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:31 am

Consider a morning sit on a north wind. Maybe you'll catch him settling in around 8:00ish to watch hunters filter into the woods. But move out of there before the thermals pick up and the wind begins to swirl. Good luck, hope you get him!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:52 am

Saw him yesterday, 60 yards, bow in hand. No shot....biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”