Another Parking Lot SLOB

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ranger12
500 Club

Re: Another Parking Lot SLOB

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 am

Bummer..

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 am

Bummer man. Good work getting on him tho. Don’t give up
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 am

Chuck B wrote:Bummer man. Good work getting on him tho. Don’t give up

He came up to bed that cliff. He was walking, I put it on him and pulled the trigger. Didn’t stop him before I shot. Clean miss, I’ll take that over white hair and a fading blood trail any day. We are really cat and mousing each other now. Honestly, it’s my favorite part!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 am

Cutter wrote:
Chuck B wrote:Bummer man. Good work getting on him tho. Don’t give up

He came up to bed that cliff. He was walking, I put it on him and pulled the trigger. Didn’t stop him before I shot. Clean miss, I’ll take that over white hair and a fading blood trail any day. We are really cat and mousing each other now. Honestly, it’s my favorite part!

Correct, clean miss any day of the week. So much better.

Tom and Jerry here ya go!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 am

Dang! That stinks.

So I have to ask… you went from feeling a step behind him to shot opportunity in one week. How did it all go down? I’m assuming glassing with the spotter? Let’s hear some details…
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 am

Lockdown wrote:Dang! That stinks.

So I have to ask… you went from feeling a step behind him to shot opportunity in one week. How did it all go down? I’m assuming glassing with the spotter? Let’s hear some details…

Nah man I wasn’t glassing with the spotter. So I’ve seen this buck three times. The first time was in the same spot I missed him at the other day. I had a gun. It was a cold rainy day. A big front was going to push through that day and I went to that cliff expecting him to be skirting the bottom and then heading up to bed on a bench. At 730 I saw him coming, but he was to far down and I couldn’t shoot. I lost him underneath me at about 90ish yards. The second time I saw him I left the gun at home and brought my bow out. I just thought it would be cool to shoot a booner with a bow. Now I know when you’re talking about the big book of b and c you get out the boom stick and finish it. That day was as clear and high pressure as you could get, but the temps were in the 30s wind speed was around 10+ mph. I just finished a call shift the night before and something just told me I needed to get out and take a strike. As I was walking to my tree something just told me today was it and I was going to see him. The conditions were perfect. I get set up in a double trunk tree at 2pm trying to blend in expecting him to wrap around the ridge and go right under me. At 2:45 he comes from the other direction going where I thought he’d come from I grabbed my bow getting ready to kill him at 20yds and he saw my bow move because I was skylined from his point of view at that was that. He trotted off quartering away. With a gun he would’ve been toast. 3rd time it was the same conditions as the first sighting. I call it dynamic weather. It’s my term I just made up. I’m just noticing the conditions that make the magnums move from last sightings I’ve had here in my hills. Big front moving in, lots of wind, rain, partly cloudy with the sun breaking through at times. I had pulled some weather data on when I had seen him and when he was on certain scrapes in the past. I thought about what the weather was doing currently and I went for it. Call it luck, call it instinct. I’ve hunted public land my whole life and I’m still pretty young, 24, so if anything this buck is teaching me how to hunt magnum caliber deer. So far he’s not dead, but I’ve learned an absolute ton along the way. And it’s not over yet.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:16 am

Cutter wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Dang! That stinks.

Nah man I wasn’t glassing with the spotter. So I’ve seen this buck three times. The first time was in the same spot I missed him at the other day. I had a gun. It was a cold rainy day. A big front was going to push through that day and I went to that cliff expecting him to be skirting the bottom and then heading up to bed on a bench. At 730 I saw him coming, but he was to far down and I couldn’t shoot. I lost him underneath me at about 90ish yards. The second time I saw him I left the gun at home and brought my bow out. I just thought it would be cool to shoot a booner with a bow. Now I know when you’re talking about the big book of b and c you get out the boom stick and finish it. That day was as clear and high pressure as you could get, but the temps were in the 30s wind speed was around 10+ mph. I just finished a call shift the night before and something just told me I needed to get out and take a strike. As I was walking to my tree something just told me today was it and I was going to see him. The conditions were perfect. I get set up in a double trunk tree at 2pm trying to blend in expecting him to wrap around the ridge and go right under me. At 2:45 he comes from the other direction going where I thought he’d come from I grabbed my bow getting ready to kill him at 20yds and he saw my bow move because I was skylined from his point of view at that was that. He trotted off quartering away. With a gun he would’ve been toast. 3rd time it was the same conditions as the first sighting. I call it dynamic weather. It’s my term I just made up. I’m just noticing the conditions that make the magnums move from last sightings I’ve had here in my hills. Big front moving in, lots of wind, rain, partly cloudy with the sun breaking through at times. I had pulled some weather data on when I had seen him and when he was on certain scrapes in the past. I thought about what the weather was doing currently and I went for it. Call it luck, call it instinct. I’ve hunted public land my whole life and I’m still pretty young, 24, so if anything this buck is teaching me how to hunt magnum caliber deer. So far he’s not dead, but I’ve learned an absolute ton along the way. And it’s not over yet.

Saying it’s the weather that clued me in might sound generic, but it’s big woods where I hunt and the big big bucks don’t lay down a ton of sign and they use several beds. There’s another guy in my area that absolutely gets it done and a huge part of his strategy and success is weather conditions. Starting to think he’s onto something.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:06 am

Any late season updates?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”