The Wizard - Michigan Public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: The Wizard - Michigan Public

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:17 am

Good luck! I had a couple questions:

1) Have you seen him?

2) How far of a hike is it from parking? Not specifically of course but is it a short easy hike? Long (mile or more) difficult hike? I ask because I believe in some level that deer do think to some degree. I have observed enough behaviors that lead me to this conclusion. They at least have different personalities for sure. I think some bucks prefer to stay as far away from human intrusion as possible and other bucks prefer to be close to where they can see human intrusion and then react accordingly if they are getting near.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 am

mheichelbech wrote:Good luck! I had a couple questions:

1) Have you seen him?

2) How far of a hike is it from parking? Not specifically of course but is it a short easy hike? Long (mile or more) difficult hike? I ask because I believe in some level that deer do think to some degree. I have observed enough behaviors that lead me to this conclusion. They at least have different personalities for sure. I think some bucks prefer to stay as far away from human intrusion as possible and other bucks prefer to be close to where they can see human intrusion and then react accordingly if they are getting near.

I challenged myself with scouting new areas this spring, spots that I have never set foot on previously. All the public land bucks I will be hunting are in those spots.

I have never laid eyes on him but will have a trailcam where it will not influence his bedding when the time is right. He's an old buck and I'm hoping he hasn't started to go down hill. Even so, I'll take a very mature going downhill buck over a younger buck with a much bigger rack. The older a buck gets the more difficult it is to hunt them.

How far in... about 3/4 of a mile from a spot I can get my truck to. The takeaways are he can't be approached within his sensory area and you have to go quite a ways from his bed to get to a tree that will hold a saddle or treestand. I will be hunting him on the ground with the hope I can see daylight movement on the heavy pressure public land.

The public land in this area is a circus of hunters.

Bridge.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:42 am

Another take away that I didn't mention with this buck is that all the other deer go well around his bedding area. It was very noticeable, no rubs / tracks / droppings from other bucks and very little doe sign. It's pretty rare for a buck to get to this age and size on heavy pressure public land and the other deer are giving him a wide berth.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Another take away that I didn't mention with this buck is that all the other deer go well around his bedding area. It was very noticeable, no rubs / tracks / droppings from other bucks and very little doe sign. It's pretty rare for a buck to get to this age and size on heavy pressure public land and the other deer are giving him a wide berth.

So he’s the king and everyone know it?

Do you think you’ll get a crack at him this fall?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Another take away that I didn't mention with this buck is that all the other deer go well around his bedding area. It was very noticeable, no rubs / tracks / droppings from other bucks and very little doe sign. It's pretty rare for a buck to get to this age and size on heavy pressure public land and the other deer are giving him a wide berth.

So he’s the king and everyone know it?

Do you think you’ll get a crack at him this fall?

Pretty much, I've seen this before with other big bucks. Some of them are more tolerant than others.

Whether I can be on stand and get him to move a hundred yards before dark will have to wait to be seen. I have several mature bucks I'm going to rotate around when the conditions are right. This particular buck I have a good chance of getting him on trail cam to get a closer look but again not where it will impact his bedding.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:42 am

This is the kind of information I love the Beast for! I have never read or seen this anywhere. I have seen situations similar to this but never put it together that deer are avoiding a buck. I have posted several times on the Beast about those obscure tips and asking how guys put things together which is what I all too often have a hard time doing. Thank you!

Btw, I think ground hunting for mature bucks is a great strategy. It’s my belief that they have evolved to look up and are more alert to hunters in trees than they are the ground in highly pressured areas.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:49 am

mheichelbech wrote:

This is the kind of information I love the Beast for! I have never read or seen this anywhere. I have seen situations similar to this but never put it together that deer are avoiding a buck. I have posted several times on the Beast about those obscure tips and asking how guys put things together which is what I all too often have a hard time doing. Thank you!

Btw, I think ground hunting for mature bucks is a great strategy. It’s my belief that they have evolved to look up and are more alert to hunters in trees than they are the ground in highly pressured areas.

There is a definite percentage of mature bucks on heavy pressure public that have 2 things putting them where you cannot hang a stand or saddle... First, their life experiences of having a bullet or broadhead sent their way every time they are around tree's greater than a couple of inches in diameter... and Second, it is an area devoid of human scent for most of the year with minimal human intrusion. Ground hunting is the best way to get at these bucks.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:19 am

Good luck with the Wizard Scott. I just went over to YT to view and realize that I was not subscribed, so I smashed the subscribe button for you.
Hint to our BEAST community, for those out there that bring us content like this it really is the least we can do to support.

Smash that subscribe button, Bridge is a BEAST :!:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:48 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Good luck with the Wizard Scott. I just went over to YT to view and realize that I was not subscribed, so I smashed the subscribe button for you.
Hint to our BEAST community, for those out there that bring us content like this it really is the least we can do to support.

Thanks Lou, much appreciated !!
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Good luck with the Wizard Scott. I just went over to YT to view and realize that I was not subscribed, so I smashed the subscribe button for you.

What do I search on for you tube?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:24 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

What do I search on for you tube?

Singing Bridge Outdoors, my little hobby spot.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 am

Couldn't help but notice some red oak leaves in the bed. Maybe that'll give you a direction of travel to work with. Best of luck on this Scott!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am

Wetfoot wrote:Couldn't help but notice some red oak leaves in the bed. Maybe that'll give you a direction of travel to work with. Best of luck on this Scott!

Thank you Wetfoot !!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”