Illegal stands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: Illegal stands

Unread postby Ack » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:01 pm

Ranger12 wrote:In regards to the dumb MI rule of being able to leave your stand up the whole season.. it still must have your name, address and drivers license number on a sign big enough to read from the ground. And, anyone can legally hunt it as it does not guarantee a personal reserved spot, according to the DNR.
So if it’s not labeled in MI… get the snips out and hack it down. Don’t break it or steal it, but I don’t see why we can’t lower it if not following the rules.. am I right?

Legally it can also have just a sportcard number instead of all that personal information.

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Ack wrote:
Ranger12 wrote:In regards to the dumb MI rule of being able to leave your stand up the whole season.. it still must have your name, address and drivers license number on a sign big enough to read from the ground. And, anyone can legally hunt it as it does not guarantee a personal reserved spot, according to the DNR.
So if it’s not labeled in MI… get the snips out and hack it down. Don’t break it or steal it, but I don’t see why we can’t lower it if not following the rules.. am I right?

Legally it can also have just a sportcard number instead of all that personal information.

Even then, maybe a dozen or so of the stands I've marked have any required info on them.
Let's go Brandon!
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:48 pm

In regards of how dumb it is to leave your stand in all season in states that it's legal, I think there's a lot of selfishness going on.. I hunt mainly norther wi on national forest, where it is legal. Think of bear guides having 40 different baits, no client is going to want to put in and take out each day, that's why they hired a guide.

Rifle season is just rifle season to me, that being said my little 8 yr old nephew loves to tag along ,and I enjoy taking him, I have some two man ladders stand up for that. I sure as heck am not packing in a two man ladder to set up and take down each day. You guys think that everytime someone wants to take kid hunting they should have to sit in a ground blind? Those are just a couple reasons I don't think it's a dumb law.

Don't take hunting away from the kids or anyone else, I have yet to see a sign in a public parking lot that says beast hunters only.

Now all that being said I do find it irritating when people dont follow the rules and leave them in all year..
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:14 pm

Exactly, follow the rules. Remove it when it’s suppose to be removed, in legal states, and make sure it’s labeled and visible. Also, when you get to that stand and someone is in it or next to it, don’t get disgruntled as if you have a reserved spot on public land. Just follows the rules… but no, 90% of the “hunters” are lazy and do not follow the rules and I find that very selfish.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:42 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:In regards of how dumb it is to leave your stand in all season in states that it's legal, I think there's a lot of selfishness going on.. I hunt mainly norther wi on national forest, where it is legal. Think of bear guides having 40 different baits, no client is going to want to put in and take out each day, that's why they hired a guide.

Rifle season is just rifle season to me, that being said my little 8 yr old nephew loves to tag along ,and I enjoy taking him, I have some two man ladders stand up for that. I sure as heck am not packing in a two man ladder to set up and take down each day. You guys think that everytime someone wants to take kid hunting they should have to sit in a ground blind? Those are just a couple reasons I don't think it's a dumb law.

Don't take hunting away from the kids or anyone else, I have yet to see a sign in a public parking lot that says beast hunters only.

Now all that being said I do find it irritating when people dont follow the rules and leave them in all year..

I think they got this law right (for once) as there is just not the pressure up north, so I am glad that they allow stands up all season up there for the exact reasons you stated. Southern WI just has way too many hunters for the public land available, if people could legally leave them up all year down here there would be more stands than trees!!
WiscoDisco

Unread postby WiscoDisco » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 am

Walk them out to the parking lot and put a free sign on them :)
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:53 am

In PA you can leave a stand in a month before the season to a month after the season. To that point most people let their sets up year round. Makes it easier to scout because when you find a obvious spot you look up and usually see a stand so you keep scouting.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:03 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:In PA you can leave a stand in a month before the season to a month after the season. To that point most people let their sets up year round. Makes it easier to scout because when you find a obvious spot you look up and usually see a stand so you keep scouting.

Yeah, I miss the stands back home made it really easy to pattern deer of the pressure. I've only found one stand left so far here in Wisconsin and it was a ladder stand someone had already cut the straps on and left laying on the ground.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:22 am

Ranger12 wrote:Exactly, follow the rules. Remove it when it’s suppose to be removed, in legal states, and make sure it’s labeled and visible. Also, when you get to that stand and someone is in it or next to it, don’t get disgruntled as if you have a reserved spot on public land. Just follows the rules… but no, 90% of the “hunters” are lazy and do not follow the rules and I find that very selfish.

Yep. Follow the rules. It’s not difficult.
Take em down and put them up based on the regs

If you’re allowed to leave them in the whole season then have at it.

I’ve encountered them many times too. To be truthful most are just off the marked hiking trails

I do HATE flagging tape. Most don’t remove it.
I ignore it now. It’s everywhere. I go in and hunt tape or not.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:32 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:
Ranger12 wrote:Exactly, follow the rules. Remove it when it’s suppose to be removed, in legal states, and make sure it’s labeled and visible. Also, when you get to that stand and someone is in it or next to it, don’t get disgruntled as if you have a reserved spot on public land. Just follows the rules… but no, 90% of the “hunters” are lazy and do not follow the rules and I find that very selfish.

I’ve encountered them many times too. To be truthful most are just off the marked hiking trails

I usually walk out with pockets full of orange tape especially up north. It’s such an eyesore. Really bad during the gun season. I gotta laugh how some guys have it every 10 yards right from the parking lot. My gosh if your that afraid of getting lost you probably should either learn how to read a compass or splurge for a gps. :roll:
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 am

Dewey wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:

I usually walk out with pockets full of orange tape especially up north. It’s such an eyesore. Really bad during the gun season. I gotta laugh how some guys have it every 10 yards right from the parking lot. My gosh if your that afraid of getting lost you probably should either learn how to read a compass or splurge for a gps. :roll:

I take found litter home with me, too.
But I have a rather evil hunting buddy who simply moves marking tape a quarter-mile further down the logging rods!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am

KRONIIK wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:

But I have a rather evil hunting buddy who simply moves marking tape a quarter-mile further down the logging rods!

I have may or may not have done that with reflective tacks. :shifty: :lol:
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:18 am

Dewey wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:

Not me, I've never done anything like that. ;)
Let's go Brandon!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:10 pm

mihunter101 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:

Not me, I've never done anything like that. ;)

I have been known to go through several roles of orange flagging tape during early bow season.

Marking easy to find trails right of the road that led to nothing lol.

Still surprises me after all these years that someone will be gun hunting this trails every day during gun season lmffao.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Never understood people’s penchant for flagging tape set every 5 ft right from the parking lot either? You seriously cannot figure out where you are on a 200 acre plot of public when you barely stray 30 yards off the hiking trails????

That being said, i know of a nice flagging tape trail in SE WI that leads right from the parking lot to a guys illegal salt lick right next to a pine he obviously de limbed and goes up and down with a climber. Man that’s stealthy illegal baiting :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”