Leave Your Stand On Public - Would You?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Leave Your Stand On Public - Would You?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am

Ranger12 wrote:look what I found this weekend…
Ladder stand on the absolute edge of private facing the public/ private line. Bow hanging and arrow nocked tipped with mechanicals. I could not believe what I had found. It was raining and snowing for the last two days and no one had been back there, as there was no vehicle tracks in the fresh mud. I honestly looked for a dead hunter at the bottom of the tree but found nothing. This was located about 100 yards from the parking lot.

1532AD09-A374-47B3-B146-AB6A898D753B.jpeg

That's crazy; wonder what the story is on THAT one!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:25 am

KRONIIK wrote:
Ladder stand on the absolute edge of private facing the public/ private line. Bow hanging and arrow nocked tipped with mechanicals. I could not believe what I had found. It was raining and snowing for the last two days and no one had been back there, as there was no vehicle tracks in the fresh mud. I honestly looked for a dead hunter at the bottom of the tree but found nothing. This was located about 100 yards from the parking lot.

That's crazy; wonder what the story is on THAT one!

I don't get it. :think:
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:14 am

Wow, that’s completely nuts!
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I know, insane right? it was a newer PSE bow.
There was another older stand about 5 yards from it that had a new bow rope hanging down too.
9AAD89CF-E65D-4935-9335-A117F2B11A5D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Maybe 10 yards, but either way. I’m not sure what was going on there but I’ve never seen a bow left in the treestand with arrow nocked, quiver and all, on the hanger. Unbelievable. All they are missing is the release.. should of left that too!
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:37 pm

I think I'd consider setting up a discreet trail camera there, covering both stands.
Something screwy going on there, for sure and for certain.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Do you think so kronik? Are you suggesting I report it? or what were you thinking?
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:40 am

Ranger12 wrote:Do you think so kronik? Are you suggesting I report it? or what were you thinking?

I don't mean to be paranoid about it or jump to any conclusions, but it just seems weird enough that I'd kinda want to find out more if I had found it, or planned on hunting near there again.
But who would you report it to anyway?
I doubt the Sheriff's Department would be interested in walking out there without a dead body or at least real evidence of a crime of some sort.

Does your State have laws against leaving stands up on Public?
If so you might want to call it in to the Game Warden and just explain that the situation is a bit unusual since he left the bow, etc.
Let them decide if it warrants more investigation.

I suppose it's probably just a case of a Father/Son hunting in adjacent trees; kid shoots deer, Dad leaves stand to track/drag. They leave woods with deer, intending to return for bow, forgets about it later, etc.

Other more-far-fetched scenario is some hothead has another hunter move in and set up on him, goes nuts, somebody whacks somebody and drags body to nearby ditch?
I know that sounds crazy, but worse things happen hundreds of times every day.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 am

I hear you and agree, it’s possible. I’m in Michigan, and you are allowed to leave your stand up, but you are supposed to have them marked with ID which of course, they never are. And no one enforces it, so therefore I find it hard to believe that any warden will do anything about the situation. I would like to know what’s going on there as well, but as I did from the start, I’m just going to chalk it up as lazy hunter syndrome, haha!! Not sure what to do really.. and I don’t plan on going back. I was just speed scouting a few spots for the gun opener, and I didn’t see anything promising at that location.
DeepSouth50
Facebook: Sara Faye Lawton

Unread postby DeepSouth50 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Never, ever. What I take in, I take out.
Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Gen. 27:3
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm

Ranger12 wrote:I hear you and agree, it’s possible. I’m in Michigan, and you are allowed to leave your stand up, but you are supposed to have them marked with ID which of course, they never are. And no one enforces it, so therefore I find it hard to believe that any warden will do anything about the situation. I would like to know what’s going on there as well, but as I did from the start, I’m just going to chalk it up as lazy hunter syndrome, haha!! Not sure what to do really.. and I don’t plan on going back. I was just speed scouting a few spots for the gun opener, and I didn’t see anything promising at that location.

Did you ever come to any conclusions on this deal?
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm

I did not. I never went back there, but I do find it incredibly odd that someone would do that..
dan99

Unread postby dan99 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 am

I've never done it since I bought my first climber. I don't want to be tied to one specific location.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Ranger12 wrote:I did not. I never went back there, but I do find it incredibly odd that someone would do that..

I suppose it could be a decoy maneuver.. put that up on the property line and nobody is gonna set up around it. Not saying it’s right but it could be someones theory
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:51 pm

I don’t care where I’m at I’m not concerned leaving something in the woods overnight… I mean.. Wow

Also this season I started thinking a few presets for the rut could be a very good idea. ESP slipping in on some am hunts.

I live in gods country. while on stand and walking to and from locations this past fall I seen 1 hunter. I think it was several yrs between bumping into another hunter.

I mean no offense but the vibe I get from some of the places you guys hunt is similar to the vibe I feel hearing about areas your catalytic converter gets cutoff and if you have aluminum siding it’ll be stollen off the house from the ground 6-8’ up.. :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”