Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Raptorman

Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

Unread postby Raptorman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:54 am

Alright here is my issue. I scout with my stand on my back just skirting the areas that I have scouted in the winter/spring. Friday I got into an area early found scrapes and trails in the leaves that appeared fresh on the edge of a bedding area. I found a fresh scrape and a scrape that had leaves in it. I set up with them about 10 yards from my tree. Last 30 min I have 2 does come out but by the time they are in view and before I can hear them they are on top of me. ( No shot). Was blown out by the does.

Fast forward to last night. I let the area cool off over the weekend with the rain and poor weather. I snuck back in and hunted the down wind side of the same bedding area. From the opposite direction a 8 or 10 point came in which I could not hear due to wind and they are sneaky. It was the last 10 minutes of legal(less visibility) This deer came right up to my tree but again with under growth and limbs I had not shot.

My questions??? How do you go about picking the correct tree so this does not occur. Do you hunt within the sign or slightly off of the sign?

As far as the tree I like to have some cover around me so I am not easily seen but that cover becomes hard to shoot around. I was 3 sticks with aiders up in the tree.

Positives I took away! I can find deer. I set up quiet enough for them to not be disturbed. My confidence in my area selection is improving and I am seeing deer on purpose.

Quest1001

Re: Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 am

I think it comes down to experience, which you are making great progress.

I’m finding as my experience grows I’m learning more from these actual encounters compared to what I may have read or advice from the forum. I don’t mean this in a negative light, it’s just the woods and deer act specific to the properties I hunt.

Again, not trying to say others response isn’t valuable but I think you’re making the right moves and it’s just fine adjustments based on specific situations. The game continues.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:57 am

there's really no cut and dry answer. Good thing is you got eyes on one and hes around. I would focus on where he came from, what the wind was that day etc. and adjust accordingly. The scrape isnt a bad spot to set up near, but for me only after it rains. Otherwise I would push in farther if possible without making too much noise. This time of year- I would also start focusing on those does and see where they are bedding. They usually have a pronounced trail coming for their bedding area and I would set up downwind of it. The buck (or bucks) are usually not too far from them to where they can either hear or see them get out of their bed. They'll start to trail them
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:47 am

I like to be at least 15 yards away from the expected trail, and a maximum of 25 yards. I don't like the steep angle of a 10 yard shot if there are other options for a better angle. And I like to have at least one clear shooting lane to it, preferably more. A place where trails criss cross is even better.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”