Wanted: Creek Crossers!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Wanted: Creek Crossers!

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Dewey wrote:Just do it. Dump your boots out and wring the water out of your socks and pants after you cross. It’s only water and the cold is only temporary.

Whenever I wear hip boots I seem to almost always end up in waist deep water. Never has stopped me from going where I need to go.

I understand this methodology for September and October but I have a hard time keeping my feet warm in November and December when they are dry in Minnesota. But I have pretty bad circulation to begin with.

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Nolte

Unread postby Nolte » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:57 pm

If you're close enough to the creek or river, wait to gut it until you're on the other side. I've done this a few times with times with bear, but a deer would be the same. In fact if its early enough in the season I'll just take the critter downriver and plan to be soaked. It makes for a much easier extract than humping back through whatever crap hole they tipped over in. If you can make it a two man operation, even better. Then just make sure you've got a spare set of clothes and boots in the car.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:21 pm

If it’s a rocky bottom stream I take a towel. Take off boots and socks and roll up or take off pants. Wade across barefoot, dry off your legs and feet, then put the stuff back on and you’re all set. I never tried this trick in a muddy bottom stream.

I’ve shimmied across many a fallen log also. Not an icy log though!!. I attempted this at the end of a bear drive once in a haste to cross the stream. All my buddies were standing on the other side and witnessed me falling off that icy log and going in over my head, rifle and all. Im still the brunt of a lot of jokes over that one many years later.
Big Tracks Matter
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 pm

DeadHeadSpread wrote:If it’s a rocky bottom stream I take a towel. Take off boots and socks and roll up or take off pants. Wade across barefoot, dry off your legs and feet, then put the stuff back on and you’re all set. I never tried this trick in a muddy bottom stream.

I’ve shimmied across many a fallen log also. Not an icy log though!!. I attempted this at the end of a bear drive once in a haste to cross the stream. All my buddies were standing on the other side and witnessed me falling off that icy log and going in over my head, rifle and all. Im still the brunt of a lot of jokes over that one many years later.

Great story! I actually really like the towel idea. Seems like no matter how cold it is outside, I end up getting hot trying to find a spot to set up on.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:53 pm

Just depends.

Sometimes I pack in my extra pair of neoprene waders for duck hunting and just stash them once across.

Other times if i can put in up stream, I will drop my canoe in and float down to the area, and then paddle or strolling motor back up to the put in sight.

If I have to get a deer across, like when i wade across, i typically stash a life jacket and some para cord and just float it back across. But we dont have fast moving waters here.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:08 pm

The stashing can be fine but I’ve also killed quite a few deer wearing hippera or waders. Hiking in neoprene chest waders can get hot but they’re also really warm on stand.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm

I usually wade wet unless it's frigid, then I've used either hip boots, neoprene chest waders, or waist high gortex type waders which I wear under my hunting pants.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:48 am

You can get a pair of redington waders that weigh about as much as a sweatshirt. Look at what e fly fisherman use just go for the low end models to save cash

Much better than wet wading when it’s below freezing. Or even near that temp. I’ve known some tough guys but I haven’t seen any that were doing so hot a couple hrs after getting soaked to the bone in cold weather. Once you stop moving and just sit there.. a couple hrs maybe but idk
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:37 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:You can get a pair of redington waders that weigh about as much as a sweatshirt. Look at what e fly fisherman use just go for the low end models to save cash

Much better than wet wading when it’s below freezing. Or even near that temp. I’ve known some tough guys but I haven’t seen any that were doing so hot a couple hrs after getting soaked to the bone in cold weather. Once you stop moving and just sit there.. a couple hrs maybe but idk

I thought about getting a $50 pair of TideWe waders just for crossing creeks but the weight penalty associated with carrying those around doesn’t sound great. Unless it’s legal to leave them laying on the bank for half a day? I should look into the regs…
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:47 am

NorthStar wrote:
Dewey wrote:Just do it. Dump your boots out and wring the water out of your socks and pants after you cross. It’s only water and the cold is only temporary.

Whenever I wear hip boots I seem to almost always end up in waist deep water. Never has stopped me from going where I need to go.

I understand this methodology for September and October but I have a hard time keeping my feet warm in November and December when they are dry in Minnesota. But I have pretty bad circulation to begin with.

I used my trash bags again this weekend. It was 28 degrees outside, the water was starting to freeze over, but the swift current kept ice from forming overnight. Waded through a 6-14" deep creek, about 30' wide. Worked great! :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:01 pm

NorthStar wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:You can get a pair of redington waders that weigh about as much as a sweatshirt. Look at what e fly fisherman use just go for the low end models to save cash

I thought about getting a $50 pair of TideWe waders just for crossing creeks but the weight penalty associated with carrying those around doesn’t sound great. Unless it’s legal to leave them laying on the bank for half a day? I should look into the regs…

I know what you mean. I wouldn’t be afraid to leave em though. It would be pretty low to harass you for that.. those boot doors are heavy The stocking foot style waders are like 2.8lbs. The “stocking foot” is thick neoprene. Fisherman wear them in boots. I’ve used mine a lot w out boots. Still waterproof just no solid sole underneath.

If you’re still looking check out cabelas I think they have a stocking foot style available for like 80$ at 3lbs it wouldn’t be bad. White river series or something like that I think.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:32 pm

I bought a pair of Chota stockingfoot breathable hip boots for scouting a couple years ago. I love scouting in them.....very lightweight and comfortable. I just wear them with my Simms wading boots. But for hunting this fall they were kind of a pain dealing with separate boots and hippers. Plus with boots they are a little heavier to carry in.

I have been thinking of going with oversized Crocs to wear with them for hunting.......lightweight and easy to pack on the stand. Not sure how well they would stay on going through muck and all that stuff though.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Ack wrote:I have been thinking of going with oversized Crocs to wear with them for hunting.......lightweight and easy to pack on the stand. Not sure how well they would stay on going through muck and all that stuff though.

I think a pair of neoprene scuba diver boots (oversized to fit the chota booties) may be what your looking for. They have a snug fit so muck will not be an issue. They zip on. They have rubbery bottoms for grip and durability.

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/evo-5mm- ... neEALw_wcB
Last edited by KLEMZ on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm

I’ve got spots I wear hip boots in, I’ll just wear them the entire day if I’m goin into those spots. They keep the wind off your legs, if it’s wet or raining, out, legs will stay dry. My problem is, I tip over every so often due to griping on someth8ng under water, or muck grabbing a foot and not letting go. No swamp baths this year, but most years I’ll take at least one. I always have a 2nd set of dry cloths in the car. :mrgreen:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:57 pm

NorthStar wrote:

The cheap tidewe waders are not for anyone with larger calves. I have a once worn green nylon size 12 pair that wont fit my calves that ill gladly send someone for $25. I wish they used a stouter guy for their mold. The bottom boot part fit, the calf part dug into my calf.

Glad i only bought 1 pair.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”