Shawnee State Forest (Ohio)

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dopo87
Facebook: N/A

Shawnee State Forest (Ohio)

Unread postby Dopo87 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:10 am

Hey guys a group of us have been hunting the Shawnee during the rut for the past two seasons. Really struggling to get our finger on what it takes to hunt it as it’s not like Pennsylvania. We’ve watched all of Dan’s videos and still are coming back with negative sightings. Any advice or direct messages would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

roosterstraw

Re: Shawnee State Forest (Ohio)

Unread postby roosterstraw » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Shawnee is pretty tough to hunt and the deer density is very low. If you’re hunting during the rut you would have to use rut tactics, not buck bedding tactics. I’ve hunted 4 all day sits there this year and seen 1 dink buck.
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:53 am

I spent many rutcations in Shawnee . It’s getting more and more pressure every year we went. I didn’t go this year but I have friends that went and they said it was the toughest year yet. Out of 4 guys only 3 buck sightings the entire week. Everyone they talked to said same thing.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:08 am

Dopo87 wrote:Hey guys a group of us have been hunting the Shawnee during the rut for the past two seasons. Really struggling to get our finger on what it takes to hunt it as it’s not like Pennsylvania. We’ve watched all of Dan’s videos and still are coming back with negative sightings. Any advice or direct messages would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What's been your scouting process? What do you mean it's not like PA? I am a PA res and hunt Ohio public too.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:19 am

dang, I was planning on going down there next year.....
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Dopo87
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Dopo87 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Dopo87 wrote:Hey guys a group of us have been hunting the Shawnee during the rut for the past two seasons. Really struggling to get our finger on what it takes to hunt it as it’s not like Pennsylvania. We’ve watched all of Dan’s videos and still are coming back with negative sightings. Any advice or direct messages would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What's been your scouting process? What do you mean it's not like PA? I am a PA res and hunt Ohio public too.

I mean it’s not like where I Hunt in PA which is Ag and farm country. Shawnee is big woods, hills, and clearcuts. A whole different ball game than what we are accustomed to.
MikefromOH

Unread postby MikefromOH » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:13 am

I haven't hunted Shawnee but have backpacked and camped there. I have hunted other southern OH public land with very little ag.

Deer density is low, so I would suggest hunting does and hope for some trailer buck deer. Finding food sources in the bottoms that they'll definitely be traveling to in the evening, but you're probably want to be hunting the tops or a ways from where they come down to that food. Seemed like I would always set up too close to the food, and then hear a crowd of them come down after dark :(

Clear cuts, the state forests publish info on the state website about where they'll be cutting. Also, it might pay off to do some walking in edge areas and find some trails leading off public property to feeders. Best luck to y'all.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:24 am

I scouted there a few winters ago. Deer density did look low but it looked like an area deer could get to old age with how steep the terrain. Everywhere I saw green briar it was browsed. Lots of oaks with acorns still on the ground. I did find some decent buck sign on the tops
HUSQVARNA

Unread postby HUSQVARNA » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am

Where I hunt Ohio it is low deer density and no crops just hills and hollows. Best results I got was hunting the terrain. Saddles, benches and especially deep gully’s. I go early November and try to catch a big boy cruising.
HuntingHamrick

Unread postby HuntingHamrick » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:20 pm

Thanks in advance.

Deer densities are low in that part of the state, which makes it seem like there aren’t any deer at all. It only takes one though. How many days are you hunting? How much are you bouncing around scouting and hunting? What elevation/sign are you hunting?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”