Someone in your treestand?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

Re: Someone in your treestand?

Unread postby seuss79 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:11 am

Not sure if it has changed but.... I know of several areas that allow stands to be left out during season within a couple hour drive of Chicago in Illinois. At 2 sites I know of, it was posted at the sites unoccupied stands may by used by others as a first come basis. Not sure if they still post it on the info boards or not. I didn't see it in the hunter fact sheets online.

Whether right, wrong, or morally correct this has always given me the assumption that this is how it is on Illinois public property.

Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:26 am

I’m not gonna weigh in one way or the other as far as legalities. I do think it comes down to each guy out there to be responsible, and courteous, again.. results may very. I’m with some of the others as far as not leaving anything up. I’ve had things stolen on private in the past so it leaves a sour taste.

At any rate, a buddy of mine had a sweet private property that him, his brother and his ol man had sole rights to as far as hunting. He had a permanent stand up, several of my memory serves me. Opening day of rifle he walked in a fair amount before dark, to find a guy up in his stand. He gave the guy the boot , and couldn’t believe the nerve. He went on to climb up there, to find yet another guy up in his stand. He gave that guy the boot, and if I recall was so frustrated I don’t believe he set up after that.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:30 am

I didn't want to put the cart before the horse so I waited to post this until I double checked.

Here is another site that states it in Illinois. Yes, this one's a little different and you have to shoot (qualify) to use but anybody has an equal opportunity to hunt here. (Makes it public in my mind.) Sorry but I blacked out some info. I'm not trying to make location known to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red

Unread postby Red » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:29 pm

I'm not a fan of putting up a permanent stand on public land. Found one in one of the better spots I know of this year. A spot that I give 2 or 3 sits per year all in November. It's a fail proof spot for the predominant wind. Usually see a good buck every time I hunt it. It's a perfect terrain feature that that the mature bucks use as an escape route from an oak flat. On my way in I noticed the area looked void of life. Not a track, no scat, no scrapes or rubs. I thought to myself some one has had to be in here for it not have any deer sign. Sure enough on the exact tree I climb was a brand new ladder stand. I just turned around and left. What amazed me was the spot is almost 2 miles back. I can't image someone packing a ladder stand in that far
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Ryan549 wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:Perhaps it would be harassment but I don’t see how they could make you leave your stand and steps for them. To me that’s a risk they’re taking sitting there.

Personally I hope a lot of people keep the “my spot” mentality because then I know where they are and I know they aren’t burning other areas. Easier to plan around.

I had posted a thread either this spring or last. Some guy was waiting for me in the parking lot to let me know I was in his spot. I walked 9 miles that day. That’s a pretty big spot. I just let them speak and then do my own thing. I was beat to a spot this year opening day of gun. What could I do? I turned around and walked a few hundred yds away and sat.

I suppose I was referring more to fixed tree stands.(the one spot hunter) Just easier to see where they are hunting. That’s the type of hunter I run into almost exclusively.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:53 pm

Boogieman for president !!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:51 am

Tear it down and start hang and hunting. I don’t see any issue with the rule, even though that guy is a tool, and this is from a guy in MI who pushes public often. You will have people who come along and hang a stand every 20 yds just to claim an area if you don’t have this rule. You cannot look at the world through the lense of how you would handle it, especially if you’re ethical, because unethical people are everywhere and will do anything to get a leg up.
Benb

Unread postby Benb » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:25 am

Sometimes people don't have the cash to buy a stand, or their dad just died and they go out into a new spot of public land and literally happen to find a stand on accident (they are new hunters) and sit up there and grieve in the woods. Or their nephew is all excited to go with his uncle and since they don't own land they go to public. The nephew with type 1 diabetes finds a stand and climbs up in it. No damage done to any stand. Before you start condemning them as if you have the same amount of authority as the Lord, remember... Everyone is fighting a battle you know absolutely nothing about. It's not illegal.us Americans get so distraught over piddly stuff. Hang and hunt or take down the stand. Not too difficult to figure out. Grow up and shoot a deer. Thank God He allowed you on His land. Remember He is watching and taking note.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:38 am

Stands on public land are for public use. That’s the law, generally speaking. If that doesn’t work for you, pack in and pack out.

Individual morals are irrelevant because not all people share them. What is relevant is the law.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:30 am

I can’t think of ANY public properties in IL, state or Federal, that let you leave a stand up all year. Also noted was it only gets hunted gum season. IL only has a 7 day season. Leaving one up all year is only meant to claim an area as “yours” on public. Stand was hung outside the legal timeframe according to the original post (said spring) as well. Who knows maybe the guy that was going to hunt it found it while scouting in the spring and figured it was abandoned? Follow the rules and you shouldn’t have problems or pack it in and pick it out as many mentioned. Personally, I think all leaving one up does is attract attention.

Bio1

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”