Corner Crossing in WI Legal?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Corner Crossing in WI Legal?

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:23 pm

In WI where there are two public pieces kiddy corner (checkerboard), is it legal to cross? Probably calling the warden is the best route but wanted to ask here first.

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: Corner Crossing in WI Legal?

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:25 pm

I have always been told no, but I am interested in seeing what other know about this.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:32 pm

Same as Swede
I know there is a big kerfuffle about it out in the Western states but I never fully understood (or looked into it much) in WI
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:53 pm

There is no real info in Wisconsin that I can find on the matter, sounds like hundreds of thousands of acres of public land out west is land locked to this, I think that is complete BS. Any two pieces of public land that touch should be accessible!
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:08 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:There is no real info in Wisconsin that I can find on the matter, sounds like hundreds of thousands of acres of public land out west is land locked to this, I think that is complete BS. Any two pieces of public land that touch should be accessible!

Yeah I wasn't able to find out information on this. I did find the articles about what has happened out west like Wyoming and Colorado. I honestly don't know how to feel about it. As a public land hunter I really want it to be legal, but I would understand how land owners wouldn't want this.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:19 am

I always wondered about it in Michigan also. I’ve seen a couple spots like that where it’s heavily posted right on the corners.The landowners must of had problems with it
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:39 am

Also interested in this. I’ve checked places out around home that are like this and they’ve all had multiple no trespassing signs around the corners so I’ve just never looked any further into it.
“You have to pay your dues”
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:58 am

Difficult question.
It would depend on its layout and if it is posted.

In my state landlocked wma properties by law the landowner infront must give access.

Wisconsin may be this way I dunno.
May want to read your Wisconsin land laws.
A warden may not know all the laws.

My story on this issue.

I had a property I really wanted to hunt it was land locked.
So I spent alot of time reading land laws in Tennessee.

By Tennessee law the landowner has to give access to public behind their property if it is landlocked.After reading the law i went to the landowner which in this case was a landowner who rents out too a hunting club.

I did talk to the landowner and explained it to him . While he seemed angry after I brought up that I would file a lawsuit against someone blocking access to public land he said ok only I can access that part the wma through the property. .

never have seen a public hunter in two seasons back their.
I think the hunting club guys hunt back their sometimes but its a really long walk and their 4 wheelers aren't allowed.

Last year I stopped said hi a few times talked polite conversation with the owner and club guys. They are elderly x military who rent it together to deer hunt. We became friendly again. No issues since. I stay to where we agreed I walk and keep no weapon loaded while walking that path.

Technically the way our law lays out the landowner gets to select the path taken. In my case it was down the property line edge. Seems he chose that path to make me cross a big creek with steep banks but its fine its his choice where I walk.

If it is a situation of landlocked public you may want to read your regulations and state laws closely. In my case it worked me reading Tennessee property law.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:23 am

Personally I don't feel any state should allow private property owners to block a landlocked wma property. Basically the landowner would own the entire wma all to themselves. So the state buys it the landowner infront controls all the state land. That isn't fair to the state, game and fish or public hunters.

The state , ,game wardens still need access to that wma it is part of what they purchased with citizens tax dollers. I could see some huge lawsuits over this. Even threatened to sue someone myself over this happily it didn't go that far. We all deserve to hunt public land.

As a property owner I wouldn't like people walking all over to access public but I do feel that anyone who ask should be given a path they can walk into public the way my state does.
Giving hunters a 2 foot wide path to walk isnt that big of a deal.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:29 am

Time to start touching up on your pole vaulting skills!!
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:02 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Time to start touching up on your pole vaulting skills!!

Either that or rent a helicopter or hot air balloon.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:08 am

Thought WI sold all of those landlocked properties awhile back. :think:

Such a load of crap if it’s illegal. As long as the properties are touching access should be allowed in a very narrow corridor.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:09 am

I sent an email to the warden that works the county where the property is. I asked him about corner crossing.

This is not a joke and exactly how he responded. :lol:

"You may have to hop, but if you don’t set foot on the adjacent lands you wouldn’t be considered trespassing."
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:12 am

Dewey wrote:Thought WI sold all of those landlocked properties awhile back. :think:

I guess it depends on what the definition of landlocked is (which I don't know) :lol: . This property has some DNR easement access. But two of the chunks are kiddy corner and it makes more sense to come from the other public land rather than the easement which is by water access.

I'm also looking at another chunk where you can only access the public through boat. In my opinion, that is considered landlocked.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:09 am

Dewey wrote:Thought WI sold all of those landlocked properties awhile back. :think:

Such a load of crap if it’s illegal. As long as the properties are touching access should be allowed in a very narrow corridor.

The Wisconsin outdoor news had an article only around a year or so ago saying between WI and MN there is over 300k acres of land locked public land that is inaccessible.

I know of a few good size chunks in northern WI that are completely land locked, not even a water access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”