Hunting bottoms in western wisconson hill country

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite_od16

Hunting bottoms in western wisconson hill country

Unread postby Elite_od16 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:15 am

What is the best time to hunt bottoms, morning or night

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Hunting bottoms in western wisconson hill country

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:04 am

Are you familiar with thermals? It’s all dependent on the area and travel routes of deer and your entry.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Elite_od16

Unread postby Elite_od16 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:03 am

Yes thermals rise in the morning when the sun starts hitting the hill sides and fall at night when its cooling down, they run like water, just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences and how it worked out, agriculture fields are up top and bottoms empty intoa lake and a river, 2 different pieces, dont have a lot of topography change in indiana
softedahl16

Unread postby softedahl16 » Wed May 04, 2022 3:16 am

I am from Western Wisconsin but have recently moved to Milwaukee, WI. I have typically seen most action hunting bottoms in the morning on different public pieces I've been on in that area. The only real problem I had is access route and not getting in soon enough as I would often run into the deer coming off the AG fields.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed May 04, 2022 5:23 am

My only experience with this is during rut. I have found bucks paralleling the trout streams at the bottoms. Looks for cutting a track at a creek crossing and then looking for fresh buck sign to set up on near by. Be prepared to have to cross water to get on the good stuff!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed May 11, 2022 4:48 am

Its all situational based. Wind direction, wind speed , cover, elevation and terrain features are factors. Also depends on the bedding situations. A good general rule for hunt is Low in the AM and High in the PM, very situational though.

I check the wind conditions every time I scout it to see what its going to do.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:15 am

I am no expert, but I have about 50 years of learning, and this is what I find. I have a cabin and land in Vernon County, with a partner. I hunt at my house in the UP, and my other house, in the N Kettle Moraine area, SE Wis,,,,,,,,,, When it comes to hill country, there is little predictability, as to the thermals. I use a bic lighter, constantly for easy way to catch wind, when I am on the move, and milkweed, when I am picking a spot....... On our own land, we never go in it, until we hunt, and we "think" the winds are right. We have not tree stands on that land. We have dug out pit blinds, and they are on the bottoms, and always on a turn, or point. I have found, these blinds, keep me with better scent control, than being in a tree, no matter how high you go.......

There is more pressure today, of course, but I hunt some spots that you would think is ridiculous. It might be a patch of weeds, and junk trees, and only 7 acres, but they are always along a trout stream,,,,, Like the UP, drainage usage is overlooked, by alot of hunters. They are all parked along the road, and all head up, and usually carrying too much junk..... I may not like listening to traffic, or watching a trout fishermen go by, but some of these little stream spots, can be very hot, in October,,,,,,, water, food, and no one bothering them, "down in the junk".... So check those spots out, you have nothing to lose

I also walk the streams, not with a fly rod, but with a bow,,,, this is how I scout,,,,,,, I have gotten some strange looks that is for sure, ,,,,,,, I have been busted a hundred times, the western hill country, is just plain tough, when it comes to thermals,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am always open to ideas, always learning, but the morning, evening belief, is not absolute,,,,,,,,
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:13 am

I personally like either A. Really windy = greater than 20mph prevailing B. My favorite is light wind, cooler temps, with blue bird sky = strong rising thermal C. Sometimes when u get near flowing water = river or a creek it can create a suction effect with the wind/thermal. The only way to dial it is experience and milkweed. No two spots are the same….
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:13 am

That being said… bottoms are difficult to hunt. WAY higher odds hunting high on the ridges :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:31 am

Bucky wrote:That being said… bottoms are difficult to hunt. WAY higher odds hunting high on the ridges :D

Higher odds of not getting busted?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:43 am

NorthStar wrote:
Bucky wrote:That being said… bottoms are difficult to hunt. WAY higher odds hunting high on the ridges :D

Higher odds of not getting busted?

Correct - less wind swirl higher on ridge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”