Parking Lot Etiquette

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

softedahl16

Parking Lot Etiquette

Unread postby softedahl16 » Wed May 04, 2022 3:28 am

Not sure how I thought of this, but thought I'd throw it out to everyone. I was just thinking of public land parking and interactions with others using that land. I'm just wondering if there is standard way of working with the others there in terms of where you will be hunting or how long? Does it fall to whoever pulled in first? Also, if you do arrive before anyone else, would it be worth leaving a note on your car or other signage there stating where you will be hunting? I just don't want to run into other people and ruin their hunts and I don't want the same to happen to me. Thoughts?

Buckharasser150

Re: Parking Lot Etiquette

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed May 04, 2022 3:49 am

I don't want to let them know where I am hunting... Especially when hunting for bucks.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 04, 2022 4:17 am

Loose lips sink ships...
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed May 04, 2022 4:51 am

Go were you intended to go, now if someone happens to be there or close by then move on. There is places I hunt were public is on both sides of the road, with only a parking lot on one side, a lot of times the vehicles that are in the same parking lot are not even hunting the same side of the road as me.

It's public land your gonna have instances where you run into people and vise versa, just have to deal with it.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed May 04, 2022 5:07 am

Also I would NOT be leaving notes or telling people where your hunting in the parking lot
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 04, 2022 5:17 am

Leaving a note where you’ll be hunting is a sure way to have some company. There’s always a certain group who thinks hunting is like a fishing hot spot.
softedahl16

Unread postby softedahl16 » Wed May 04, 2022 5:46 am

Glad I reached out. Thanks for your responses.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed May 04, 2022 5:57 am

Obviously this is going to come down to peoples own thoughts and opinions but If I see people in the parking lot that are getting ready to hunt, I almost always make it a point to introduce myself and try and gain as much intel as I can about where they are planning on going. I have found most people will pull out their phones and show me exactly where they are planning on hunting but that is not what I am really looking for. I am just trying to understand their access route and the general area they will be hunting. I do this mostly to make sure I am not going to be hunting on top of someone else without knowing it and I also want to make sure their sent trail doesn't mess with my hunt. Sometimes I use their access as a way to set up differently and maybe even kick a deer my way.

I totally respect those decision not to share those things but I am amazed what people will share when I simply ask. When I am asked these same questions, I am very generic with my answer, I usually say something like "I am going to still hunt my way in and see if there is anything I see that I would like to set up on"
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed May 04, 2022 6:36 am

when theres only one area to park, ya just slide in and do your thing

If I come up on someone, I usually ask them where they are going (which trail head direction, or general area etc, not specific) I'll usually say, "great we'll be fine" and all is happy
If I come up on someone already set-up when I get to my stand area....i'd just back out.

I'd hope the same would happen if theyve noticed me.

I had a couple buddy's turkey hunting this year. They were set-up EARLY.
2 dudes came in on them in the dark. They got about 60-75 yards from my buddy. My buddy's were flashing their head lamps to get their attention. The other dudes appeared to back out.

At shooting light my friends are hitting some calls. they see some movement. And what do they see.....those two other dudes trying to sneak up on my friends spread.

LOL

Its public land, stuff happens no matter what you do. I'm not sure a note would help or hurt but its up to u
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:42 am

Deer hunting, I don't divulge or I'll move on to plan B or C.

Turkey hunting, I try to work with guys so we're not on top of each other. People get shot every year. It's pretty annoying when a guy is tight lipped in the parking lot, then busts into your set chasing a gobble, or "sneaking in on a hen".
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed May 04, 2022 9:24 am

Just a tidbit of info I had never thought of before: I have heard that people who own land near public will often park their trucks/cars in public land parking lots the night before opening day of gun season just to discourage others from hunting there. Pretty dirty, but I hear it happens often down here.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am

The areas I've turkey hunted this year have been busy, but people have been pretty respectful to the first person in. I did have someone blow out a tom when they drove into the parking area, but I can't fault them for that as there was no direct line of sight to the parking area and no way for them to know there were two turkeys 50 yards from the lot.

I got this note on my truck once after hunting a new spot. He must have been the same guy who dimed the song Chicken Fried on the road when I was hunting. I got on a buck and was real close to scoring on it. Would have been awfully sweet to drag it out in front of the guy...

1067 (1).jpg

Public land.

He must have forgot that I own the land too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by greenhorndave on Wed May 04, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am

Park on the side of the road you are hunting on. Don't try and be sneaky and park on the opposite side thinking people will think you are hunting over there. I don't want to be walking in on your hunt, and you probably don't want me to either.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 04, 2022 12:10 pm

greenhorndave wrote:The areas I've turkey hunted this year have been busy, but people have been pretty respectful to the first person in. I did have someone blow out a tom when they drove into the parking area, but I can't fault them for that as there was no direct line of sight to the parking area and no way for them to know there were two turkeys 50 yards from the lot.

I got this note on my truck once after hunting a new spot. He must have been the same guy who dimed the song Chicken Fried on the road when I was hunting. I got on a buck and was real close to scoring on it. Would have been awfully sweet to drag it out in front of the guy...

1067 (1).jpg

Public land.

He must have forgot that I own the land too.

What a tool. So just because he lives on that road he thinks he has exclusive rights to hunt it? What a deal. His very own chunk of land paid by taxpayer dollars. :roll:

Might be a good place for Dan to take 25-30 people for the next scouting workshop. :mrgreen:
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed May 04, 2022 12:54 pm

I'll be figuring this out this year I'd imagine now that I have a good amount of the public by me scouted. My personality I think I'd move on if cars were already there, unless I was onto a good buck in that spot. I'm going to make a point to get out early for evening hunts and give myself plenty of time, but then there is always a chance someone will walk through on you.

As far as running into people in the parking lot, I'll be polite and talk with them and hope for the best. I would vaguely communicate on hunting plans if they are willing to, just so I know we won't be stepping on each other's toes. I'd hope if you communicate and show respect that you will get the same in return, but some people are just out for themselves so you never know. I'd never go into specifics about my hunting spots though, or if I saw a shooter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”