A really fat chick?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chooch2.0

A really fat chick?

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:31 am

~38 yards from a parking lot seems a little TOO fat of a chick to me… but I imagine the answer will be “if the sign is there, it’s not lying”. Large lone worn down bed full of hair. Very thick brush with 1/maybe 2 very small trees in the vicinity. It truly, truly doesn’t seem real. You can see the main human trail heading into the big woods. ~38 yards just seems too close for comfort once the October army/waterfowlers start showing up daily. In a sense, I’m new to fat chicks….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
mag1
500 Club

Re: A really fat chick?

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:27 am

you just never know. I have had a decent buck bed less than 15yds from my car before. I was walking about around 10am, just about to the car, and the stinker took off, he was under a tag alder on the edge of the ditch. it can happen.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:14 am

Two years ago I hunted a set like this. Closer to 100 yards from parking but still very close. Was expected the buck to come from the strip of woods along side the lake. Nope came waltzing in from between me and the parking lot. Unfortunately he was just out of range
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
mpernest

Unread postby mpernest » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:14 pm

I set up about 50 yds from parking once last year, and about 20 mins later a deer slipped up from behind me and spooked crossing my wind. That means the deer was closer to the parking lot than I was and somehow I’d gotten by it on the way in. I later traced the trail the deer was on into a thick swamp and found bedding. I only hunted that one more time at the very end of the season, but otherwise let it sit unmolested (at least by me anyway). That’ll be my first sit this season.
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:26 pm

So don’t count this dog out of the fight is what I’m understanding. “He” could see the parking area IF he stood up and picked the right opening. Great horizontal cover. This is a brand new find.. my first thought was wind blowing across parking toward bedding would be optimal, but because he could hear and/or see anything from the parking lot, I’m wondering…

Get in there, fail, and figure it out, right?
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Give it a shot. I’ve seen deer and some nice bucks come out of bedding from downwind of a human trail. They’re probably bedded within 30-40yds. The deer smell them walking by but they don’t head that way in the evening.It’s my neighbors the trail is right on the property line.They walk right by it all the time and they hunt a lot. My side is very thick.Probably more pressure than some public lands have
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:00 pm

Heck it’s worth a sit! Thanks, all.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:10 am

Early season spot before all those hunters get in there. Waterfowlers mess up plenty of bedding once their seasons open. He won’t tolerate nonstop traffic at 38 yards if it’s a super heavy access.

I have a couple spots like this where i can see the top of my truck from my stand. Once duck opens i’m outta there and so are the deer.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Absolutely morbidly obese. Get in there
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Solo7

Unread postby Solo7 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:45 am

Interested to see how this turns out. I started looking into scouting near roads etc...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:07 pm

It's worth a shot. It could be a night bed...but I would hunt it.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:44 am

Heck yeah, go for it. I have a buddy that was 50yrds from the parking lot and killed a nice. Believe me the place he was hunting has plenty of pressure!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Diamondback

Unread postby Diamondback » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:35 am

We were hunting a new area a couple years back. Park at the road and me and 2 grands were on the tailgate while my son made a loop down in a swamp to scout. Just as he was coming out thru a thicket a buck jumped up maybe 10 yards from us and took off. He was content with us there talking and making noise with stands until the son almost kicked him up. This was heavily pressured area and the buck looked maybe 1 to 2 years old and already knew how and where to hide in daylight
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:07 am

absolutely worth a try. if the place has pressure, that may be one of the spots he feels he can go to monitor everybody that comes in and out of the place. Just have to figure out when is a good time to give it a go.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:07 am

It's not uncommon here in MA to see stuff like this. Our setback requirements are pretty far from buildings and houses and it's like the deer figure out you can't hunt them there...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”