Crossing Mucky Creeks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

peteherbst

Crossing Mucky Creeks

Unread postby peteherbst » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:43 am

Any tips or tricks on crossing mucky creeks on public? I’ve found downed trees, tried to wade through, hip boots, chest waders, you name it. Thinking I might try to sink some rocks in there or something next. Just haven’t found anything easy yet. Wondering if anyone else has had experience. Muck comes up past my knees in some points.

“You have to pay your dues”
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Crossing Mucky Creeks

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:23 am

I use beaver dams in a few spots where available, but every other critter in the woods uses them too. The one I crossed this summer had a deer bed nearby the crossing I presume to keep tabs on me or what might cross the dam.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:56 am

I use the River App and keep tabs on smaller river levels that creeks I'm going to cross feed. Takes a few trips to pinpoint the levels, but it gives me an idea on Muck boots, waders, kayak, or not worth the risk for deep fast creeks.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:08 am

They suck, especially if they're more than a couple of steps wide. I try to find a shallow or rocky area, but usually end up crossing where you can step on downed timber/branches. I have thrown bigger type branches on the muck to help support my weight as well. Hip boots tend to want to suck you down, and knee boots want to pull off. Jungle boots do the best, but you end up a muddy mess :lol:
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:36 am

peteherbst wrote:Any tips or tricks on crossing mucky creeks on public? I’ve found downed trees, tried to wade through, hip boots, chest waders, you name it. Thinking I might try to sink some rocks in there or something next. Just haven’t found anything easy yet.Wondering if anyone else has had experience. Muck comes up past my knees in some points.

There isn’t an easy way that’s why the hunting is good on the other side for those willing to take the hard way to killing a mature buck.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:32 am

:mrgreen: Below is the correct answer. I can't tell you how many swamp bath's I have taken over the years, some hip deep, some, completely soaked. I usually have extra clothes back at the car just in case. I usually try to find a spot where there is a down tree, or a shallower area, but sometimes you just have to cross. if you are e-scouting, sometimes you can find spots that might be more conducive to crossing, but you still need to check them out. Knee deep muck is not fun, especially if you have a stand/pack on your back, plus a bow in hand.

szwampdonkey wrote:
peteherbst wrote:Any tips or tricks on crossing mucky creeks on public? I’ve found downed trees, tried to wade through, hip boots, chest waders, you name it. Thinking I might try to sink some rocks in there or something next. Just haven’t found anything easy yet.Wondering if anyone else has had experience. Muck comes up past my knees in some points.

There isn’t an easy way that’s why the hunting is good on the other side for those willing to take the hard way to killing a mature buck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:44 am

Just jump in and go. It’s only knee deep muck. :lol:
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:53 am

szwampdonkey wrote:There isn’t an easy way that’s why the hunting is good on the other side for those willing to take the hard way to killing a mature buck.

I’ve definitely come to terms with this. :lol:
“You have to pay your dues”
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:52 am

peteherbst wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:There isn’t an easy way that’s why the hunting is good on the other side for those willing to take the hard way to killing a mature buck.

I’ve definitely come to terms with this. :lol:

Wherever you’re going it sounds like a great spot. Best of luck this season!
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:18 am

“Take your pants off” isn’t something I ever envisioned saying to another man on the internet, but here we are.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:56 am

Depending on the width of it, but if there are downed trees in there, get some scrap wood and build a crossing off them. High water may be a problem, but if it's low- it may get you by for now. May run the risk of other hunters taking advanatage of it too, but if your on something good, you gotta take the chance. Also, run a rope from one end to the other to hold onto for better balance, safety etc.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:14 am

Perfect scenario for a Jet Pack also :lol:
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am

MichiganMike wrote:Depending on the width of it, but if there are downed trees in there, get some scrap wood and build a crossing off them. High water may be a problem, but if it's low- it may get you by for now. May run the risk of other hunters taking advanatage of it too, but if your on something good, you gotta take the chance. Also, run a rope from one end to the other to hold onto for better balance, safety etc.

I once considered (in a very similar scenario, and near a dam), hiding a 2x6/2x8 nearby in the brush to cross a certain mucky spot. Didn’t end up doing it, wasn’t even sure on the legality of something like that. Very mucky/deep but not super wide.
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 am

Some type of makeshift (or otherwise) walking stick could at least “warn you” of your next step, if you were really concerned about it & knew you’d be crossing some nasty stuff.
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:11 pm

Chooch2.0 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Depending on the width of it, but if there are downed trees in there, get some scrap wood and build a crossing off them. High water may be a problem, but if it's low- it may get you by for now. May run the risk of other hunters taking advanatage of it too, but if your on something good, you gotta take the chance. Also, run a rope from one end to the other to hold onto for better balance, safety etc.

I once considered (in a very similar scenario, and near a dam), hiding a 2x6/2x8 nearby in the brush to cross a certain mucky spot. Didn’t end up doing it, wasn’t even sure on the legality of something like that. Very mucky/deep but not super wide.

That chunk of lumber could be hard to find or expensive to buy. If I went this route I’d go for used pallets and try to stomp them under the surface of the muck, or pick up 3-5 old fence boards from the roadside and try to make them work. Free is best if possible!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”