West Tennessee wma

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SwampySquirrel

West Tennessee wma

Unread postby SwampySquirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 am

Just wondering if anyone hunts any cwd areas in west Tennessee?I have been hunting a particular wma for about 9 years now.The wma i hunt is not to far from where they think it started at.The deer numbers are definitely down but the quality I have seen in the last 2 to 3 years is awesome.I have a couple questions if anyone could help.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: West Tennessee wma

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 am

Ask away I've hunted pretty much all of them.

My experience hunting and scouting ,cams in these wmas is this if your interested.
Chickasaw state park is a ghost town I've ran cams in it for years every year I had 2 deer worth hunting on cam in it last year but it holds very little worth going after.

Wolf river -ghost river units far as im aware still have decent deer numbers I hunted it for several years until cwd. Their is some nice bucks in wolf and ghost river units. Saw a booner in wolf river a few years back. The area can produce very large bucks.

I've hunted some manes swamp refuge still has nice bucks ,hop in refuge is decent , Natchez Trace deer numbers decreasing. Lbl deer numbers decreasing.
Grey's creek deer numbers are way down or it may be lack of sign I've scouted it a few times.

I've played around a little in other wmas like camden,white oak , the one in dyer county ive scouted trying to remember the name of it. but never hunted them much.

I've seen some very promising bucks in obion wma and big sandy wma. Probably shouldn't type this but most on here know I hunt big sandy often.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am

John Tully wma was the other I was thinking of.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am

I’m here too, ask away in a PM please. I’ve been to a lot of them.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:09 am

Oh almost forgot, I picked a bunch of milkweed, filled up a bucket with the stuff when I made a trip to Indiana this last weekend. Will meet you anywhere in Memphis if you want some.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 am

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 am

Sad that Reelfoot got hit with that monster tornado it used to be pretty good.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:13 am

Oh Indiana.

I was like I haven't seen any around here.

I'm good I picked some up from Kentucky.
SwampySquirrel

Unread postby SwampySquirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:15 am

I hunt unit 1 of the ghost,Not many people hunt this parcel. Honestly I think alot of people don't know the road to get to it.There is not much elevation at all except for the northeast corner and it's really not that much of a change.The rest is flat swampy bottomland that I can't figure out.I have ran trail cameras all over this place and just can't figure it out.Ive killed some decent bucks out of there but it was by pure luck I think.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:55 pm

SwampySquirrel wrote:I hunt unit 1 of the ghost,Not many people hunt this parcel. Honestly I think alot of people don't know the road to get to it.There is not much elevation at all except for the northeast corner and it's really not that much of a change.The rest is flat swampy bottomland that I can't figure out.I have ran trail cameras all over this place and just can't figure it out.Ive killed some decent bucks out of there but it was by pure luck I think.

Interesting I hunted it about 5 years ago i think .

That swamp is nasty in the summer ,early season full of snakes. I never saw anything big on cams in that area but i never ran allt of them though back in those bottoms that go on for miles along the river who knows what all is back their. I hunted this a few times.

Any transition near the river should have rut cruising.
They probably bed alot on the edge of the river due to the lack of elevation. Edge bedding.

I hunted the northwest corner of that elevation kinda near private passed on some small deer their but never killed any.
I haven't hunted it since they found cwd their.

Ghost rivers a decent area at least it used to be when I hunted it.
Since I don't hunt it anymore this was where I sat.
Screenshot_20220809-211652_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:31 pm

Have you checked out the oxbows along the river?
I'm sure it would be a nightmare early season but there's probably some good hunting back their. The map i posted may not be the same area you hunt not sure hopefully i didnt mess you up any if it was.

. I haven't scouted it since I found the beast I think 6 years ago i abandoned my wolf river and ghost river setups when they found cwd posted one of my wolf river setups last year.. This stand selection was before I knew anything about beast hunting and wouldn't be where I would sit now.
SwampySquirrel

Unread postby SwampySquirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:00 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Have you checked out the oxbows along the river?
I'm sure it would be a nightmare early season but there's probably some good hunting back their. The map i posted may not be the same area you hunt not sure hopefully i didnt mess you up any if it was.

. I haven't scouted it since I found the beast I think 6 years ago i abandoned my wolf river and ghost river setups when they found cwd posted one of my wolf river setups last year.. This stand selection was before I knew anything about beast hunting and wouldn't be where I would sit now.

That's over by the shooting range,When I first started hunting the wma that's where I was lol.I killed many of doe over that back food plot
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56 pm

Guys, y’all really should go to pm with this. Way too many buzz words that will pop this thread for years to come with a google search.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:00 am

thwack16 wrote:Guys, y’all really should go to pm with this. Way too many buzz words that will pop this thread for years to come with a google search.

How do you know it isn't by design to encourage people to hunt the area I posted. Seriously I wouldn't post it if I cared about it. It may actually help me. We could post every bad wma area and have hunters flock to it instead of our real areas. It would be hilarious to do a test of this and see how many hunters go scout the areas we posted.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:39 am

If anyone's crazy enough to go back here lol.

Screenshot_20220810-103802_onX Hunt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”