Lightweight hunting chair

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bay-fieldBowhunter

Lightweight hunting chair

Unread postby Bay-fieldBowhunter » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Before work last Friday I was scouting and slipped making my way up a draw ended up tearing my Meniscus and blew my shot at going on an early season North Dakota hunt. But i had surgery today and looks like I’ll be able to walk by the time Wisconsin’s archery season opens but I will still have six weeks of physical therapy to go through. Anyone have any recommendations for a light weight and quiet chair I can use to hunt off the ground normally I would sit in a stand or kneel on some knee pads but I can’t do that now. I thought about maybe just using my normal tree stand but only hanging it a foot off the ground in any trees I pick I can’t really spot and stalk or do any crawling. Any advice or ideas would be helpful

rs2893

Re: Lightweight hunting chair

Unread postby rs2893 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:52 pm

I dont have a recommendation but thought it was neat the ad tracker placed the perfect ad below your post.
9C2BEC59-3C23-4FAD-9B8B-13F261F78D7E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:56 am

I have tried every chair there is,,,,,, Ideally it would be a chair with a back, adjustable legs, with goose feet, and spin 360 quiet. I found one, but again, 7lbs is too much for run and gun. So what I do, is when in hill country of SW Wis, I use the Millenium Tree seat. on my back at 2lbs, if that, I am off and running. I carry very little with me....... When I hunt at my house in the UP, depends on the terrain. I usually am always hunting drainages, so the seat works.......... Because of available heavy cover, I usually also hang and hunt, but only use one stick. Quick and easy......

I tried the Waldrop seat, but could not shoot well out of it. At 73, I need a back, to when I am hunting, if I can,,,,,,,,,,,,,I recently had to give up the long bow, and went to a Hoyt compound with let off, set at 45lbs....... Works with my system................ Each hunter needs to develop a "system"
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:50 am

I’ve always liked those light weight tripod chairs with a back. You can dig a level spot for the legs with your boot heel. My experience is mostly with a gun with that type chair- but have used it in blinds with a bow. No arms to get in your way. It’s easy to strap to a pack and take off. They are generally fairly cheap.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:29 am

I have a alps tripod chair it's not bad to sit on for 15 minutes but I wouldn't try to sit on it for multiple hours.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:50 am

Bay-fieldBowhunter wrote:Before work last Friday I was scouting and slipped making my way up a draw ended up tearing my Meniscus and blew my shot at going on an early season North Dakota hunt. But i had surgery today and looks like I’ll be able to walk by the time Wisconsin’s archery season opens but I will still have six weeks of physical therapy to go through. Anyone have any recommendations for a light weight and quiet chair I can use to hunt off the ground normally I would sit in a stand or kneel on some knee pads but I can’t do that now. I thought about maybe just using my normal tree stand but only hanging it a foot off the ground in any trees I pick I can’t really spot and stalk or do any crawling. Any advice or ideas would be helpful

I just use a dove stool covered in stealth strips. Shorter the better. Attaches easily to almost any pack with a couple of 12 inch gear ties.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:51 am

AR Hunter wrote:I’ve always liked those light weight tripod chairs with a back. You can dig a level spot for the legs with your boot heel. My experience is mostly with a gun with that type chair- but have used it in blinds with a bow. No arms to get in your way. It’s easy to strap to a pack and take off. They are generally fairly cheap.

I must be built different, I can't sit in one of those for more than a couple minutes.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:21 am

I use one of these. I bought another for my uncle with back issues.
I have a portable ground blind (no roof) I carry with it.
I use it mainly for hunting big woods.
My uncle killed a nice 10pt in Iowa on his this year. Expensive but worth it.
Legs can sink in the ground on soft stuff.

https://www.rei.com/product/158005/helinox-swivel-chair
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:36 am

I tried a lot of hunting chairs over the years but nothing comes even close to the Waldrop. It’s pricey but the quality and thoughtful features make it worth every penny. It works perfectly for me and paired with a small pack connected on the back is extremely convenient. In the pack I carry by guille suit and other small items needed for a ground hunt. I love how it packs on my back like a pack frame. Can hardly even tell it’s there.

https://www.waldroppacseat.com/

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”