One thing I hate about public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drich

Re: One thing I hate about public land

Unread postby Drich » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:29 pm

"A wise man punishes not because a misdemeanor has been committed, but so that it is not committed in the future." --Plato

I see plenty of illegal things in the woods that doesn't bother me too much and do not report them. A common one lately is camping spots where no camping is allowed, usually with evidence left behind of a young couple in love. There are other much more severe things that I have reported, and been thanked by the CO after the individual was arrested.

It does help to know your CO's pet peeves. I know one of my CO's despises people not wearing enough blaze orange during gun season. Let him know about someone breaking that rule and he is staking the location out. Tell him about baiting though and he shrugs it off.

SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:06 am

Just tell him hey bud there's plenty of room for me and you to share or there's plenty of room for you, me and 10 of my buddies to share which do you prefer.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:02 am

SILhunter wrote:Just tell him hey bud there's plenty of room for me and you to share or there's plenty of room for you, me and 10 of my buddies to share which do you prefer.

:lol: That’s a good one. I mentioned it to a few folks and they’re are several planning on driving into that parking lot and dinking around there anytime their in the area.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:11 am

There is one thing that gets me fired up more than any illegal stands, bait piles, etc…. The public wma’s within what I consider reasonable everyday driving distance are small in acreage size. Hence they have a small parking area. These small parking areas are the absolute only place to park. Nothing ticks me off more than pulling in to park only to discover a tour bus of an rv has completely taken up the entire lot. Signage specifically says no camping and it happens atleast once every single year.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 am

I've heard alot of stories about negative encounters, but every encounter I've had with other hunters on public land has been great. Yes, I hate it when someone else ends up trying to hunt the same spot as I do, but that's just something we have to deal with on public. Here on state land you aren't allowed to use cameras, but I see it all the time. I just ignore them, including leaving the cameras alone and not looking at their cards... I just wouldn't do it. I see stands left up on state land, where it is also illegal, but still, I just ignore it. Those are things I just take as "people sign" that tells me other hunters are using the area, so it helps me to adjust accordingly. Quite frankly, if they're in there it's probably not somewhere I want to be anyway. More hunters are going to mess up an area and run the deer away, than will harvest the buck you're hoping for. I have never seen anyone baiting on our public, which is also illegal, but that is the one thing that would probably tick me off enough to say something if an officer came around.
Dauntless55

Unread postby Dauntless55 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:12 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:Yeah I’m different.

I would go out of my way to find his setup and walk all over his spot. I would canvas the area till I found it, then I would make sure I was on his camera. If he’s got illegal bait it’s being videoed and reported. And I’m putting pink streamers all the way to his spot and back to parking lot.

I think we just became best Friends!!
szwampdonkey wrote:I’d find his stand and leave about a weeks worth of dirty socks in the trees all along the perimeter. Treat people as you want to be treated goes both ways in my book. I’m always courteous and respectful to other hunters out there when I see them but I have a real hard time letting a jerk just skate and continue to be a jerk without consequence.

Fortunately I find these type of people to be pretty rare out there. I think I could count less than five times in 30 somethng years I’ve had to deal with stuff like that and it’s mostly been Landowners neighboring public who think they own everything adjacent to their property as well as opposed to other public land hunters.

So you guys would oppose the illegal baiter by littering the woods with socks and streamers ? :think:
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 am

Dauntless55 wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

I would go out of my way to find his setup and walk all over his spot. I would canvas the area till I found it, then I would make sure I was on his camera. If he’s got illegal bait it’s being videoed and reported. And I’m putting pink streamers all the way to his spot and back to parking lot.

szwampdonkey wrote:I’d find his stand and leave about a weeks worth of dirty socks in the trees all along the perimeter. Treat people as you want to be treated goes both ways in my book. I’m always courteous and respectful to other hunters out there when I see them but I have a real hard time letting a jerk just skate and continue to be a jerk without consequence.

Fortunately I find these type of people to be pretty rare out there. I think I could count less than five times in 30 somethng years I’ve had to deal with stuff like that and it’s mostly been Landowners neighboring public who think they own everything adjacent to their property as well as opposed to other public land hunters.

So you guys would oppose the illegal baiter by littering the woods with socks and streamers ? :think:

Yes, his responsibility to clean the socks up too.
Dauntless55

Unread postby Dauntless55 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:03 am

:lol:
szwampdonkey wrote:
Dauntless55 wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Yes, his responsibility to clean the socks up too.

:lol: Fair enough.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”