One thing I hate about public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

One thing I hate about public land

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:43 am

I love public land. Most of my hunting is done in vast National forest land. I rarely run into people but when I do they are usually friendly. I try to treat them how I want to be treated.

Every once in a while you run into a real jerk though. Somebody that is so fired up it’s about to be fisticuffs. Happened to me today just after I pulled into a public parking area. Some guy was coming out from baiting (illegally) I didn’t say anything but how are you doing today and man he was set right off. ( it was a great day until I showed up) etc

God forbid somebody else uses the same access spot for 4700 acres of national forest…

This area wasn’t very high on my list..
I just left as I was starting to get pretty hot myself. Sad thing is these stand off ish type guys usually win and people like me just move on to avoid dealing with their BS.

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Tribute80

Re: One thing I hate about public land

Unread postby Tribute80 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:43 am

The night before opening day have all your buddies park their car at that access point. Or go buy 20 cheap orange vest and cheap solar controlled lights hang them in the bushes for opening day.
Maybe mention to him your buddies told you the warden was starting an investigation into baiting on public property in the area.

Also you could just not let it get to you, some people suck. If it’s public do your hunting and ignore him.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:58 am

Wow! The day I get that mad about someone else on public land is the day I hope to quit hunting. Will take up bowling
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:02 am

This is not a cut on the original OP by any means, in fact he sounds like a guy I would want to hunt with. Sorry you had to deal with that dude...guy doesn't strike me as a real sportsman. I applaud you knowing when to leave sensing you were getting hot yourself.

I do however have a concern about the amount of posts I see about "not doing anything" when we see things happen that we know are wrong. Whether it's illegal baiting, leaving stands up, not picking up shells, over harvesting game, trespassing, stealing, etc. If we are stewards of the land and we love hunting as much as we say we do, then why is it so hard to say or do something to stop these things from happening? This is more of a philosophical thought than a criticism to anyone. I am starting my 20th year teaching and there is a saying in the classroom...what you permit, you promote. I don't always want to walk away from a situation and just let it be. I take pride in doing the right thing...it makes me feel good knowing that maybe I inadvertently helped someone I don't know. This "bystander effect" is everywhere...the assumption that someone else will do something or it is someone else's problem. It seems as if nobody ever wants to get involved. What I do hear a lot about is getting revenge. This to me doesn't stop the problems from happening; in fact it seems to escalate it.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:09 am

I've had a few bad experiences on public land also.
Hate to hear you had a bad experience.

A few years back I found a large buck and his beds.
When I went to hunt him two kids put a huge bait pile in the bedding area. Called the warden and he said noone could hunt near that area. Was probably his kids.

Of course the kids - 20s never got in trouble and the buck vanished to never be seen on cam again. I doubt they killed it they just got lucky in stumbling into what was once a good spot. Spots been bad since.

These same 2 kids were poaching on the guy down the roads bean field and killed a buck on his land. I explained to him they had messed my areas up also. Was a rough year due to the little tyrants.

I've had old men cuss me out for hunting in what they call their area. Public is definitely very toxic sometimes.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:19 am

Yeah I’m different.

I would go out of my way to find his setup and walk all over his spot. I would canvas the area till I found it, then I would make sure I was on his camera. If he’s got illegal bait it’s being videoed and reported. And I’m putting pink streamers all the way to his spot and back to parking lot.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Well, I do work for the dnr ;) In the fisheries division though. Not wildlife and not law enforcement. I was thinking if I wore some of my garb, how the guy would react to me then. He wouldn’t know the difference. Probly be crapping his pants. It would be fun to watch em squirm. but I’d have to read up on rules wearing work attire outside of work.

All in all I just like to do my thing and let others do theirs. Since I was a boy I was never real big on that “ I’m gonna tell on you” It would be an appropriate time to do so though. If I wanted to, I could keep the Local CO very busy with over baiting and atvs in areas not permitted. Usually it’s a combination of the two. It’s pretty rampant.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:11 pm

Sounds like he needs a visit from the local warden. Illegal baiting is the perfect reason.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:38 pm

I’m a individual who understands what JESS is trying to say. (I think) Folks get used to being able to bully or do what they want with no repercussions. The more they get away with the more they do. In my state wardens are stretched thin and over worked as it is. They simply don’t have time to Jack with piddly offenses. I have probably called in well over a 100 illegal hung stands and atleast that amount of illegal bait piles. Nothing was ever done. Those stands and bait piles are still there today.

Got to the point I felt it’s a waste of time to report such. I don’t mean to come across as a anti Debbie DoGooder. But truth is if I took the time to report every illegal act I see on public I wouldn’t even get a chance to hunt. It takes someone special to really tick me off. In such cases I go out of my way on a daily basis to make their life miserable. I get a satisfaction of doing such that no buck could ever match!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:41 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I’m a individual who understands what JESS is trying to say. (I think) Folks get used to being able to bully or do what they want with no repercussions. The more they get away with the more they do. In my state wardens are stretched thin and over worked as it is. They simply don’t have time to Jack with piddly offenses. I have probably called in well over a 100 illegal hung stands and atleast that amount of illegal bait piles. Nothing was ever done. Those stands and bait piles are still there today.

Got to the point I felt it’s a waste of time to report such. I don’t mean to come across as a anti Debbie DoGooder. But truth is if I took the time to report every illegal act I see on public I wouldn’t even get a chance to hunt. It takes someone special to really tick me off. In such cases I go out of my way on a daily basis to make their life miserable. I get a satisfaction of doing such that no buck could ever match!

Yeah...you got it!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:15 pm

Jess wrote:This is not a cut on the original OP by any means, in fact he sounds like a guy I would want to hunt with. Sorry you had to deal with that dude...guy doesn't strike me as a real sportsman. I applaud you knowing when to leave sensing you were getting hot yourself.

I do however have a concern about the amount of posts I see about "not doing anything" when we see things happen that we know are wrong. Whether it's illegal baiting, leaving stands up, not picking up shells, over harvesting game, trespassing, stealing, etc. If we are stewards of the land and we love hunting as much as we say we do, then why is it so hard to say or do something to stop these things from happening? This is more of a philosophical thought than a criticism to anyone. I am starting my 20th year teaching and there is a saying in the classroom...what you permit, you promote. I don't always want to walk away from a situation and just let it be. I take pride in doing the right thing...it makes me feel good knowing that maybe I inadvertently helped someone I don't know. This "bystander effect" is everywhere...the assumption that someone else will do something or it is someone else's problem. It seems as if nobody ever wants to get involved. What I do hear a lot about is getting revenge. This to me doesn't stop the problems from happening; in fact it seems to escalate it.

The flip side to that is turning someone in and nothing happening, which is even more frustrating. And has happened to me and others alot. Whether the game warden doesn’t investigate it or the guy just may be really hard to catch. Sure you know who’s doing it but it’s very hard for a warden to catch them in the act and it has to stand up in a court of law, they can’t just write someone a ticket based on a tip. County I’m in we have one game warden for 700 square miles so he can’t do it all. So I do ignore some things and they are things I know the warden will also ignore or not have time for, other things I turn in if they are bad enough.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:16 am

I’d find his stand and leave about a weeks worth of dirty socks in the trees all along the perimeter. Treat people as you want to be treated goes both ways in my book. I’m always courteous and respectful to other hunters out there when I see them but I have a real hard time letting a jerk just skate and continue to be a jerk without consequence.

Fortunately I find these type of people to be pretty rare out there. I think I could count less than five times in 30 somethng years I’ve had to deal with stuff like that and it’s mostly been Landowners neighboring public who think they own everything adjacent to their property as well as opposed to other public land hunters.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:36 am

to strangewilderness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hey I bought my house in western UP in 2013..... I fish alot, you guys and gals, do a great job,,,,, had to give a shout out,,,,,

What MI needs is habitat mgt, more than deer mgt,,,, with that said, I have met some really nice people on public up here. One day I ventured into an area, that some group had been hunting for over 30 years,,,, it was a good area, that was for sure..... They had a big camp. I am always solo, for the most part. They met me at the parking lot, we shared a sandwhich and soda, and they showed me all of their spots, so I would not screw anyone up, for rifle season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We got out the maps, and I picked out a spot,,,, they said, "If you ever need any help", just get us at closing,,,,,, nice group,,,,, I moved on from that spot, but still grouse hunt the area,,,,
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:50 am

Jess wrote:This is not a cut on the original OP by any means, in fact he sounds like a guy I would want to hunt with. Sorry you had to deal with that dude...guy doesn't strike me as a real sportsman. I applaud you knowing when to leave sensing you were getting hot yourself.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:06 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Yeah I’m different.

I would go out of my way to find his setup and walk all over his spot. I would canvas the area till I found it, then I would make sure I was on his camera. If he’s got illegal bait it’s being videoed and reported. And I’m putting pink streamers all the way to his spot and back to parking lot.

That's unproductive for your own scouting/hunting time. Tell the warden and move on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”