Best Place for good bucks, on Public Lands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Best Place for good bucks, on Public Lands

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:27 am

The season is about to start, and I thought I would give some advise to our younger hunters, on where to go. Of course, these areas I am talking about, can best be scouted, after freeze up, but they will give you at least a start. I am talking about Wisconsin. To kill decent bucks, they have to be there, and alot of areas just dont support big bucks, that is a fact. I always said with all the gadjets, gizmos, and tricks, you read about, its still comes down to this,," Its not so much how you hunt, but Where you hunt......................

I am talking about SNAs. State Natural Areas,,,,, This is land set aside, but always clearly posted as SNA, that is preserved for the simple reason, to stay natural. These little jewels in our state, I found, to hold some really great deer, because I missed my share of them, and also got lucky a few times. These areas are good for big bucks, because they provide all that is needed for their existence, and the fact, that they are rarely disturbed. Also they are not developed. No parking lots, no clearly marked entrance areas, but if you can find a way in, you got some great land to hunt. Parking was always my big issue, so I either was dropped off, or had long walks from the truck.

90 percent of them are WET, and to me that is my number one priority, big bucks and wet areas go hand in hand. You will also find some SNA next to great private properties of food sources, and a little shining at night in the summer, will prove me right....... Getting a deer out is a huge chore. In the 90s, I started to hunt these spots, frustrated over the pressure on most public. Back then deer drives were still being made, so then SNA would see some pressure, but drives dwindled over the years. Some hunters hit the edges, thinking that the cattails etc, should be left alone, as a sanctuary. I went right in, and yes bumped deer. But I found, that after the initial bump, they settled down, and came right back around....................

I also learned to cut natural lanes, however subtle, in the "tails", sit on a bucket, and you would hear the deer before you ever saw then, in the shooting lane. I also used a 4 foot step ladder, I made a seat for.... However, suitable trees were found in some lands, so where there was a will, there was a way........ I stayed in these areas, for one reason, I saw some great bucks......... Wis is blessed with alot of State Natural Areas, today, with computers and technology, finding them is easy. You dont have to use pen and pencil, and visit DNR offices to gain intel....

Good luck this season, but with strong young legs, if your looking for big buck areas, try out the State Natural Areas, you can hunt them all......................

KLEMZ

Re: Best Place for good bucks, on Public Lands

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:01 pm

Great post!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:35 am

Would you find the sign coming out of the cattails and sit it the same day, in season scouting?

This is something I'd love to do and remember some of Dan's vidoes on it, but he set up the spot ahead of season.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:57 am

I like to be standing in water when I climb my tree or very close to it. The one common factor for my kills or encounters with good bucks on public land
softedahl16

Unread postby softedahl16 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:26 am

Are all or most of the SNA areas available to bowhunt? Or is it specific to the area?
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:18 am

I have never found one, that I could not hunt. However, contact the DNR, they have a great web site, and will easily give you all the information you need, if there is any closed, but I doubt it. Heck I hardly ever seen anyone in there, in fall, and especially late season,,,,,,,, I only hunt one now, because its near one of my houses,,,,, there was a time, I traveled all over the state, to hunt them, especially in Central Wis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
LCAHOONE
Facebook: Lawrence Cahoone

Unread postby LCAHOONE » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:17 am

What conditions make bucks switch swamp and high ground bedding? I have seen several times in October/November bucks in late afternoon going FROM high ground/acorns TO swamps, and in other spots, coming OUT of swamps TO higher ground in the morning. I set up over scrapes near swamps in the evening, and they come from behind me. Why? Shouldn't they be spending the night where the best food is? Swamps means security, not the best food. What am I missing?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”