Using Cameras Before and During Season

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

softedahl16

Using Cameras Before and During Season

Unread postby softedahl16 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:20 am

It's my first time using a trail camera on public land. I guess I have questions on how to properly utilize the picture information starting in summer and transitioning throughout the season.

In the beginning of the summer, I set up a camera along a trail leading into a bedding area. Plenty of does coming in from the crop fields during the AM, leaving in the PM, and a few bucks sprinkled in there. I guess my question is, can I expect this doe movement to remain the same throughout the season and for bucks to eventually find these does, or are they more likely to switch things up as the seasons change and I will have to adapt? I feel the answer is the second part, but I still feel I need to ask.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: Using Cameras Before and During Season

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:28 am

I think it depends on food sources....if the sources remain in area does could stick around. Here they move around with whatever food is available. If there is food around they will stay if not they move.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:57 pm

If you’re not sure, let the camera soak for the entire season and you’ll have your answer. Certain travel areas are only good on certain days or during certain weeks, and the easiest way to figure that out is leaving the camera for a season.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:03 am

The only thing that will change a doe groups behaviors or bedding location is changing food sources and pressure.

Bucks are more solitary after the summer months but they’ll certainly find all those does come rut.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:03 am

No - once the crops are harvested, the deer change the patterns and will focus on food, security, and the rut.

They'll be in the area, just using it a little diff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”