Oaks During the Rut

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jazzy66171

Oaks During the Rut

Unread postby Jazzy66171 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:28 pm

I am curious if anybody pays any attention to oak trees during the rut. I hunt mostly big woods and today I got up and started walking around trying to get back in the game. I came across a nice 20 yard x 20 yard clearing in the middle of large cut that is not visible on the map and doesn't show signs of being hunted. It has 5 nice white oaks in it. These are typically my go-to stands for early season as I think that if you have a good acorn drop in the middle of good security cover, it should be the first stop for most deer in that area. My question is, do any of you think that oaks play any role at this time of the year when most of the acorns have already been eaten up? One thought I had is that bucks could remember does being there 3 weeks ago and might run through the area to scent check. Or do you completely disregard oaks this time of the year? Looking forward to what folks have to say.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Oaks During the Rut

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:59 pm

I would say only if it's near doe bedding.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:59 am

Not sure the oaks will play a role at this point but if it’s close to doe bedding, it’s worth a sit especially if you can get downwind. A cruising buck should be scent checking that area.
Any other sign in the area?
Jazzy66171

Unread postby Jazzy66171 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03 pm

Yeah I mean it depends on what you consider the area. Within 150 yards there is sign all over the place but it’s on an access path.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm

So that’s likely all nocturnal sign if people are regularly on that access trail. Seems like worth a sit regardless if you have the days left I. Your season to burn a hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”