Scouting Question

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

codyklee2010

Scouting Question

Unread postby codyklee2010 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:51 am

I recently heard of a big buck that was shot on private, across the road from a piece of public that I currently do not hunt. Would it make sense to try to scout that buck even though I know he’s dead, to learn about how he used that area and use that as reference for big bucks in the future years?

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Scouting Question

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:57 am

It depends if I believed that public to hold good bedding areas. If so, I would most definitely scout that piece because odds are another buck will move in. What does t private look like? Does the private hold good bedding cover or was the buck there for other reasons?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:10 am

With a doubt I would check it out. That is like trailing a wounded deer into his home area. There is so much to learn. I would try not to mess up someone's hunt.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
codyklee2010

Unread postby codyklee2010 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:03 am

Northstar, looking at the maps I would say that the private the buck was shot on was a travel corridor between two good chunks of bedding. One chunk being on public and one chunk on private.
Ghosthunter, with season coming to an end, here in michigan I don’t think I will have to worry too much about messing up someone’s hunt.

I see a few points on the maps that I think would be spots that have potential for good bedding. When I get the time I’ll have get in there and see what I can find!
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:44 am

Way late now but I’d have to say if you are confident he was using the public side of that chunk of bedding, I’d definitely get in there and find his bed. Another one will move in for sure.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”