Another fat chick spot

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Another fat chick spot

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:39 pm

Went rabbit hunting a few days ago. As I approached a thick spot I have had luck in in the past I noticed several heavy deer trails. I looked more and found a great bedding area

This place is within easy eyesight of the parking lot and 20 yards from the main walking trail. As I looked around for a tree to hunt and how to access it without spooking deer all I could think was this is crazy. This is truly one of those spots everyone walks past without giving a second look.

It's a very small patch of thick cover. Open fields to the left and right. Woods and a walking trail directly in front. A grown up drainage as a quick escape route. If there's a monster on this property it's gonna be here.

Next year will find me here early season. Gonna be tricky with wind but I'm stoked. Can only hunt it with a North or East wind.

Can't wait.

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Another fat chick spot

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:13 pm

I also found a spot last week. I knew it was there, but never thought much of it till last spring when I decided to check it out. it is a 5 ac. cattail marsh 50' from the road and the marsh is oval. I walked it last week and did not take long to kick one up. It is so close to a US highway with a frontage road that is even closer that I am concerned someone will see me in the tree and figure it out. I hunt there tonight on a perfect wind. I didnt see any in the stand by 5:04 when it closes . By 5:08 I am down and 5 deer come behind me just after close. I was darn happy to see deer this late in the year. I have never hunted this late but I know those deer are there.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:51 pm

That's a couple of great finds fellas. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:17 pm

Once you open your mind and accept that they bed and live in this manor hunting and scouting can become pretty exciting...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:59 pm

I’d have to imagine rabbit hunting is a great way to find such spots
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:01 pm

dan wrote:Once you open your mind and accept that they bed and live in this manor hunting and scouting can become pretty exciting...

Dan, It caused me to remember a long time ago when you hunted in some Willow tree and got a big buck 4 yrs in a row and was 100 yds off the road. It is one of those spots that are so stupid simple that noone thinks about it and I never saw a car parked there neither. They hut 300 yds down the road by the oak trees. Do you ever go back to that willow tree?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:06 pm

ihookem wrote:
dan wrote:Once you open your mind and accept that they bed and live in this manor hunting and scouting can become pretty exciting...

Dan, It caused me to remember a long time ago when you hunted in some Willow tree and got a big buck 4 yrs in a row and was 100 yds off the road. It is one of those spots that are so stupid simple that noone thinks about it and I never saw a car parked there neither. They hut 300 yds down the road by the oak trees. Do you ever go back to that willow tree?

Almost all of my once great spots have been figured out by people who watch the videos for the wrong reasons... Now a days most of the spots I have to hunt are new. Its the cost of making these videos....
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:52 am

I found one walking out this year scouting. I hit a spot early season that was loaded with acorns. The whole area was dug down to the dirt and had a bunch of big tracks. It was 100 yards before pulling into a parking lot of a busy recreation trail. I wound up setting my tree stand maybe 40 yards from the white line of a two lane road. My trail cam was about 20 yards from the road. I got 5 different bucks on camera and three bears. It's a little open oak flat with some green briar on the edges. I couldn't believe the bucks that were hanging out there in daylight.
Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:40 am

dan wrote:
ihookem wrote:

Almost all of my once great spots have been figured out by people who watch the videos for the wrong reasons... Now a days most of the spots I have to hunt are new. Its the cost of making these videos....

My best spot got figured out this year. I don't think it was from videos. Pretty sure it was from guys that saw me drag the deer out. Any way I found a few more and will keep looking. I have 2 spots that I can see my truck from. One thing I learned from you is when a spot gets ruined I look for a similar spot on the same property and usually there's a good deer there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”