First nice public land buck

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

First nice public land buck

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:11 pm

Here the story of my first nice buck on public land.

I have hunted this piece of public ground for over 20 years. I know it pretty well.

Several years ago I took the first two days of bow season off and that gave me Thursday Friday and Saturday to hunt.

Opening day I got stuck in a down pour about 2 hours before dark. I decided to quit and go dry off. As I walked out several deer were in a far corner of a cut corn field. I snuck up a field row trying to get a better look. One was a nice 8 point. I watched untill dark and snuck out soaked.

The next evening I did an observation sit and the deer came out again, including the buck. I watched where the entered and exited the field and made my plan.

I would have to hunt from the ground. I dug up my ghillie suit and a bag chair.

I went in 4 hours before dark and sat in thick cover about 100 yards from the bed. About an hour before dark a doe and fawn came out. Next was a six pointer. Then my 8 pointer. He chased the doe like she was in heat (this was Sept 17). She finally ran off and he bagan feeding. He slowly fed my way for 20 minutes or so. He finally stopped at 50 yards broadside. I raised my crossbow and squeezed of my shot. The deer lunged at the shot and my hit was back. I found my arrow covered in guts. I looked to my right and he was needed and struggling to keep his head up. He saw me and stood up but was real Shakey. He staggered off. He could barely stand as he got out of sight.

Another hunter saw me shoot the deer from the other side of the field. We waited an hour or so and went in real slow. He was dad 100 yards from where he first beaded. My arrow cut an artery in each ham as well as intestines. He was my biggest buck at the time. Probably. A 2 1/2 year old 8 pt. Scored 106 inches. My first hundred incher.

The other hunter helped me drag the deer out. As I write this it still brings a smile to my face. Great hunt, great buck. I've killed bigger since but this is one of my favorites. I walk past his rack in my living room and smile every time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: First nice public land buck

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm

That sure is a beautiful deer, good story too!
Ryan
Trav

Unread postby Trav » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:36 am

Great buck! Way to get it done. Looks bigger than 106. Thanks for sharing.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:42 am

Awesome, congatrats!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”