The importance of in-season scouting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: The importance of in-season scouting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:47 am

I always enjoy your stuff Todd. Just went over and smashed the subscribe button, sorry I didn't hit it sooner. Been lost on the BEAST and YT all morning, I just loaded it up to watch later. Then you know I will come back and give you another glowing review. Youda man.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:10 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I always enjoy your stuff Todd. Just went over and smashed the subscribe button, sorry I didn't hit it sooner. Been lost on the BEAST and YT all morning, I just loaded it up to watch later. Then you know I will come back and give you another glowing review. Youda man.

Thanks Lou! I'm still hoping to hit the woods with you up in the UP someday!
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:19 am

This year life will happen and I'm not going to get out much in the spring so most of my intelligence is going to come from inseason in the moment sign vs figuring out where they like to be from old fall sign. I'm going to have the benefit of hunting areas I have history with and I know everything early depends upon the white acorn crop. If the whites are falling I know I will have encounters early. I won't have the luxury of finding a buck and learning his specific patterns. In a way it's a good thing cause I will constantly be on hot sign.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:44 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:I always enjoy your stuff Todd. Just went over and smashed the subscribe button, sorry I didn't hit it sooner. Been lost on the BEAST and YT all morning, I just loaded it up to watch later. Then you know I will come back and give you another glowing review. Youda man.

Thanks Lou! I'm still hoping to hit the woods with you up in the UP someday!

I would like to do that as well. Your tracking has always intrigued me, as a still hunter I should be able to take the next step, but I haven't yet.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wally124

Unread postby Wally124 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:15 am

Great video! I am consistently still learning how to hunt beast style and your breakdown both via OnX and in person was the icing on the cake to help solidify how important it is to hunt the sign!
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:50 pm

This was a great breakdown of the process you followed. Especially showing the onx map and then showing the sign in person. Great deer!
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:47 pm

Great thread!

Going to watch the video tomorrow morning to start the day! 8-)
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:18 am

Im a believer. Scouted my way into a new area following this plan and setup on sign i couldnt pass up on a similar edge. Didnt see the buck that made the rubs i was sitting by but saw 4 others and heard another bunch get up and walk around the thicker bedding. Most confidence I have had for being in the game with a nice buck so far this year.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:45 am

I am huge believer in this tactic as well. I usually can't afford the time to spring scout and even when I do, I am not experienced enough to know when that sign was laid and when it should be hunted in season. I have been giving myself extra time during the season to get to my spot and get back to the truck. I have been bumping deer when doing this but I am having much more encounters than ever before.

Part of me feels a little guilty about walking all over these areas during the hunting season but I am seeing the results first hand!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:12 am

I say to myself every year I am going to do this more because I don't get out for spring scouting at all anymore. Then last year I shot my target buck on the third day of bow season so I didn't go out to any new areas to hunt. But this year I think I'm going to have to.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Danny boy

Unread postby Danny boy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:24 pm

I was going to set up on a transition but didn’t feel good about the set up and sign. I hiked 500y until I started seeing fresh tracks . I set up in the tree. Lots of straight trees, but I got up in a poplar choked with cedar. When I got up I noticed fresh rubs. Previous hunts have told me there was lots of doe movement. Sure enough I tagged a buck, and had quite a show. I could have set up where I wanted but the sign said otherwise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:11 am

This a really fantastic post. I always enjoy your content but this is so fitting. From mid September to October to November and beyond the location of deer activity is always changing. I’ve gotten away from guessing where I’ll set up and instead just focus on fresh sign. You really nailed it with this one, great advice.
Persistence is undefeated.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:18 am

The swamps I hunt are nasty and hard to go in there to look for in season sign then set up. You have to have a plan to get in there from winter and spring scouting. It pays off every once in awhile. Maybe a cell camera would shine in this situation. I don’t own one. Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”