Hunters Evolution

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Hunters Evolution

Unread postby Rich3006 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:23 pm

I started deer hunting 29 years ago. I leaned conventional tactics. My dad and I hunted funnel and food sources on private land or limited entry public. We had some success. We avoided walk in access land like the plague because we were told they were dangerous and didn't hold deer.

Dad missed a season because of surgery so I hunted with a buddy on his dad's place and a bit on my grandpa was farm. I killed 3 deer that year all within sight of houses in overlooked areas.

I killed a few deer on free permission areas over the following years still avoiding public. I hunted the same stands weekend after weekend watching them die out.

I got back from Iraq in 2008 and had lost my hunting spot. I killed my first public land deer while scouting for an evening sit.

As the years went on I learned beast tactics and found deer in overlooked areas. I hunt public almost exclusively and sometimes even pass up free permission because near by public is better. I really wish I had started hunting this way from the beginning.

The biggest thing I have learned is be confident. If you step into a new area confident you can find deer you will. If the slightest bit of discouragement sets in your done.

I spent over a decade buying lies from ignorant people about public land. Oh to have those years back.

I once yearned for land of my own but now I know even if it happens I'll still hunt public because it's that good and because I limit my sits.

I never thought I'd prefer public or hunt 5 counties in one week but both are true.

I love hunting public land and love figuring out new areas. There's something special about picking a spot you've never been to and figuring out.

I've also learned to keep my mouth shut. I once had a small area that I was successfully at and bragged to every one who would listen. Other guys started hunting and they talked to. Now it's so crowded you can't find a place to park the First moth of season.

There is just something magical about public land.

I'm not a stone cold killer by any stretch. If I can kill a deer on public anyone can but it's so much more fulfilling than the way I started hunting.

It's amazing how we change and grow as hunters. It gets better each year

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”