Hunting around lakes/reservoirs

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tdhorner

Hunting around lakes/reservoirs

Unread postby Tdhorner » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:50 pm

So I’ve been doing some e-scouting on some lands around decent sized lakes and was curious as to where to look for needing around them. The main area I’m looking at is essentially big woods hills that butts up against the lake. Will they be more likely to be on the tops with backs to the lake like an ox bow in a river? There are some other lakes in a different part of the state that is more flat land and I’m assuming they’re more swamps. Thanks for any tips.

PApublic1187
500 Club

Re: Hunting around lakes/reservoirs

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:41 pm

Oxbows are always a good place to start, and also water security is also good place to look for bedding. I’d pick some spots that peak your interest from e-scouting, and then get some boots on the ground in there! 8-)
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting around lakes/reservoirs

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:21 am

They like the thick aeras around lake edges but have to have good escape cover... Lakes dont make for good escape so they need a different escape. When you have hills against the lake expect thermals to drop down the hill right to the lake... As far as hills vs lake edge for bedding? which one has more pressure or less cover...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”