Bowfishing, I'm hooked

• Advertisement

HB Store

ckprax

Bowfishing, I'm hooked

Unread postby ckprax » Tue May 31, 2022 3:29 pm

I had my first successful bowfishing outing today. Went in a rowboat with my neighbor. The carp were spawning and there were thousands of fish jumping, splashing and just tearing up the lake. They were very skittish and with the muddy water it was a lot of snap shots.

I started the day with a few misses. My first successful shot was a double. I'm using a 30lb recurve but it seems to do the job and is much faster than my neighbor's compound.

I ended up getting 5 and had another 3 that came off the arrow.

While rowing back in we spotted a massive tail and fin. We slipped in but lost track of the fish. After a bit I spotted it just under the surface and we drifted in to about 10 feet.

I had a head on shot and took it. She took off with my arrow sticking straight out of the water. I started to pull on the line and was not sure if it was still on. A few seconds later it took off and was pulling us around. It took about 5 minutes to get it to the boat. A second arrow from my neighbor took the fight out and allowed us to lift it in. She was 44lbs and 46inches long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Bowfishing, I'm hooked

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 31, 2022 11:32 pm

Congrats that’s a big carp! I bowfished for years my biggest was 24lbs. I saw one that was 40lbs taken. Our state record with hook and line is 41lbs. Bow kill record is 60lbs
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:44 pm

Waydago! :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:00 am

Just curious - what do you do with the carp? We used to catch alewife and carp and till them into the garden for some huge veggies.
ckprax

Unread postby ckprax » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Rich M wrote:Just curious - what do you do with the carp? We used to catch alewife and carp and till them into the garden for some huge veggies.

I'm no expert but everyone I talk to either uses it for fertilizer or dog food.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:02 am

ckprax wrote:
Rich M wrote:Just curious - what do you do with the carp? We used to catch alewife and carp and till them into the garden for some huge veggies.

I'm no expert but everyone I talk to either uses it for fertilizer or dog food.

It is excellent fertilizer. Dog food is a good idea too.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:27 am

I read there is a way to slow cook carp in your oven and the meat will fall off the bones. They are a rough fish and have tons of bones and a mud vein you have to cut out. I’ve personally never tried it. In this area they recommend not eating one over 28” because of chemicals and only one serving a month.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bow Fishing”