Catch of the Day!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Catch of the Day!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 am

82 degrees with a west wind... Shoot u can't beat that with a stick Jack! Went to a spot I haven't fished yet this year but have been fishing this cove since I was 10 years old. So many great memories there. Caught em jiggin flooded button willows in 18" of water, I had a blast. Rare up!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 am

Dang Boogie, are you going to save a few for the rest of Texas? :o
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Nice oldrank! Now what the heck is it? And what's the marble looking things, guessing eggs. Real or synthetic? Also what's the logic behind fishing with that style bait? For the fish I have to play with catfish is the onlything I use a prepared or cut bait for. Mainly cause I fish the spawn for whatever species, and a jig/lure lets me cover a lot of water quicker and find where they are piled up. Catfish are not nearly as visual and rely mostly on smell so I'm better off stinking up an area an bringing them to me. Always like learning something new and why guys fish for a certain fish a certain way, if u don't mind sharing.

That is a great lakes steelhead. It's basically a large rainbow trout. The spawn is steelhead eggs. I save them and freeze them. The steelhead run out of the great lakes and into the rivers to spawn. We roll the eggs up in bags and drift them into holes. The fish feed on the eggs. I take the eggs and add a little sugar, salt n food coloring. I'll do a few different style batches cause you never know what they are going to prefer that day. I also run flies, little beads that look like eggs, n different cranks n spinners.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Dang Boogie, are you going to save a few for the rest of Texas? :o

Plenty to go around! I only keep the males during the spawn. Don't really no if it makes any diff or not a female lays a trillion eggs. But I feel better about it and I can honestly say I've never wasted a bag of fish. A bunch of fish hounds in this house lol
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:53 pm

oldrank wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Nice oldrank! Now what the heck is it? And what's the marble looking things, guessing eggs. Real or synthetic? Also what's the logic behind fishing with that style bait? For the fish I have to play with catfish is the onlything I use a prepared or cut bait for. Mainly cause I fish the spawn for whatever species, and a jig/lure lets me cover a lot of water quicker and find where they are piled up. Catfish are not nearly as visual and rely mostly on smell so I'm better off stinking up an area an bringing them to me. Always like learning something new and why guys fish for a certain fish a certain way, if u don't mind sharing.

That is a great lakes steelhead. It's basically a large rainbow trout. The spawn is steelhead eggs. I save them and freeze them. The steelhead run out of the great lakes and into the rivers to spawn. We roll the eggs up in bags and drift them into holes. The fish feed on the eggs. I take the eggs and add a little sugar, salt n food coloring. I'll do a few different style batches cause you never know what they are going to prefer that day. I also run flies, little beads that look like eggs, n different cranks n spinners.

Cool deal! When I was younger I used to make chicken blood for catfish very similar. Not to many years ago they sorta outlawed getting fresh blood so I stopped making it. Looks like a lot of fun and bet your whackin em
-John Wayne-
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:Dang Boogie, are you going to save a few for the rest of Texas? :o

Plenty to go around! I only keep the males during the spawn. Don't really no if it makes any diff or not a female lays a trillion eggs. But I feel better about it and I can honestly say I've never wasted a bag of fish. A bunch of fish hounds in this house lol

No doubt! Get em while the gettins good! :L:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 pm

oldrank wrote:

As I know it, that is fishing in a nut shell. I will never understand how a fish can turn down an easy meal because it's not... quite... right...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:25 am

Lockdown wrote:
oldrank wrote:

As I know it, that is fishing in a nut shell. I will never understand how a fish can turn down an easy meal because it's not... quite... right...

I had an experience when I was a teenager ice fishing that really brought this point home to me... We were in a dark Shack looking through the ice into some crystal clear water. We had a large hole in the ice and we could see the bluegill swim up to our line look at it and then swim away... We watch this for literally a couple of hours with dozens and dozens of fish. No bite. We're bobbing the bait into their faces and they still wouldn't take it. Come to find out it was not the bait, but the size of the line was too big and they were seeing it, according to a local bait shop guy. Really was frustrating, but also eye-opening. There are fish down there, even if they don't want to bite sometimes!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:43 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
oldrank wrote:

I had an experience when I was a teenager ice fishing that really brought this point home to me... We were in a dark Shack looking through the ice into some crystal clear water. We had a large hole in the ice and we could see the bluegill swim up to our line look at it and then swim away... We watch this for literally a couple of hours with dozens and dozens of fish. No bite. We're bobbing the bait into their faces and they still wouldn't take it. Come to find out it was not the bait, but the size of the line was too big and they were seeing it, according to a local bait shop guy. Really was frustrating, but also eye-opening. There are fish down there, even if they don't want to bite sometimes!

Friend of my Dads told me the same thing. He finally went down to 2 lb test and he started catching fish.

Ive had many times trolling spinners where one color will out produce all others 3 to 1. Had another time when I was fishing a river and I saw this guy pulling in quite a few. I could see he was using crawlers, so was I, but he was catching them 4 or 5 to my one. I finally asked what he was doing that I wasn’t, he said “take your spinner and beads off.”. Really? :think: I started catching them steady after that.

Even ice fishing “gotta have shiners” and I’ve also seen two fatheads on one hook outfish everything else.

Good fisherman constantly change presentations.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Lockdown wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
oldrank wrote:

Friend of my Dads told me the same thing. He finally went down to 2 lb test and he started catching fish.

Ive had many times trolling spinners where one color will out produce all others 3 to 1. Had another time when I was fishing a river and I saw this guy pulling in quite a few. I could see he was using crawlers, so was I, but he was catching them 4 or 5 to my one. I finally asked what he was doing that I wasn’t, he said “take your spinner and beads off.”. Really? :think: I started catching them steady after that.

Even ice fishing “gotta have shiners” and I’ve also seen two fatheads on one hook outfish everything else.

Good fisherman constantly change presentations.

For myself and the lake I fish I have opinions and willing to admitt I know jack squat about other states. But there's multiple factors at hand in my backyard. From water clarity, time of year, water level, wind, temp, to what the fish are naturally feeding on and the size of it.

Much like deer I focus my efforts on the breeding season when odds are high and things are active. I switch from one species of fish to the next based on timing of the spawn. I will be flat honest I like catching a whole lot better than sitting there fishing.

My opinions are these and it's just what I say an opinion. The only reason color matters is based on water clarity. Some colors are a lot more visible than others based on what the water looks like. I go for a diff bite than feeding, I luv the spawn cause it's a reaction bite. Males are either making beds or protecting the hatch. Get something in there danger zone they can see and they are gonna whack it reguardless of beads, pound line or presentation.

Now out side the spawn things are much diff and a lot more tricky. Line poundage affects the fall speed of the bait and the suckers are finicky. In this case if water is not stained I would go with a fluorocarbon line. It's a blast any way u do it and like I said just my opinions we all got em lol
-John Wayne-
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Very nice boogie! Are you wade fishing?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:32 pm

thwack16 wrote:Very nice boogie! Are you wade fishing?

Yes sir! Best part about wade fishing is u get in spots a boat can't. In terms of crappie there a edge lover 95% of the time the females will be on the next drop edge from the males. Females tend to be bigger so if I was just sport fishing I would prob target them. But I like the males they get fired up and aggressive. Mix that in with they tend to get extremely shallow, with a long rod it's one heck of a thump! By far my fav fishing is in knee deep water with a 11' rod and 12" of line hanging. Just addicted to it I guess lol
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am

Didn’t take any pictures but I kept 4 walleyes yesterday. All in the 16-17” range. Tried fishing my better spring spots but it was just bumper boats so I went downriver to my backup stuff. Had to sort but managed to end up with a dinner. Very streaky bite which usually means it’s the lull period. Usually have pretty good fishing with not many fish but a great average size, a lull, then easy 100 fish days and lots of sorting. Missed the best part but still have great fishing ahead.

Lost about a 36” Muskie at the boat. Pretty common to get them in the spring but that’s about the higher end size wise I’ll get.

What was weird is 1 eye was a female with eggs. The other 3 must have been it’s. No eggs, no white stuff. Must be undecided or something.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 am

Mother in law asked if I could get her some catfish. Works out great how can my wife tell me no if it's for her own mom. Had a strong South wind this morning so I headed to the north end of lake and fished from the bank along some rip rap. Pretty easy Pickens suckers were chasing shad all up and down the bank. 45 min limit those days are always a blast.

-John Wayne-
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 am

Nice eats!!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Lake Fishing”