Finding other hunters stands.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Putt400
500 Club

Re: Finding other hunters stands.

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Dewey wrote:I report every illegal stand I see. Noticing a lot of guys just ignore them or say it’s nice to know where others are hunting so they can avoid them. So what happens when illegal stands completely over run the public your hunting on? If nothing is done and everybody looks the other way that’s how this stuff gets out of hand. It’s monkey see monkey do. If others see it as an acceptable behavior next thing you know everyone is doing it. It’s our job as honest sportsmen to police ourselves and keep trash out of the woods. Nothing worse than a bunch of old run down stands littering public lands not to mention guys staking out areas with multiple stands laying claim to the property. Wardens can’t be everywhere and it’s in our best interest to help keep this stuff to a minimum. When guys start losing stands that get confiscated you would be surprised how quickly word gets around and how fast an area gets cleaned up.

Well said!

“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:55 am

Dewey wrote:I report every illegal stand I see. Noticing a lot of guys just ignore them or say it’s nice to know where others are hunting so they can avoid them. So what happens when illegal stands completely over run the public your hunting on? If nothing is done and everybody looks the other way that’s how this stuff gets out of hand. It’s monkey see monkey do. If others see it as an acceptable behavior next thing you know everyone is doing it. It’s our job as honest sportsmen to police ourselves and keep trash out of the woods. Nothing worse than a bunch of old run down stands littering public lands not to mention guys staking out areas with multiple stands laying claim to the property. Wardens can’t be everywhere and it’s in our best interest to help keep this stuff to a minimum. When guys start losing stands that get confiscated you would be surprised how quickly word gets around and how fast an area gets cleaned up.

I used to do the same.. I would send in GPS coordinates to the exact location, aerial overlay with a pin on the location in relation to established trails, and a pic of the illegal stand.. Ray Charles could walk directly to them with the info I would provide. But the Mass Dept of Fish and Game almost never does a darn thing about them.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:46 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:

I used to do the same.. I would send in GPS coordinates to the exact location, aerial overlay with a pin on the location in relation to established trails, and a pic of the illegal stand.. Ray Charles could walk directly to them with the info I would provide. But the Mass Dept of Fish and Game almost never does a darn thing about them.

Way different here. Every single one was removed without fail and I was thanked for the assistance. Every state is different I suppose especially if the wardens are spread really thin. Much bigger fish to fry.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I see lots of stands hanging in my parts. More often than not I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would hang a stand there other than it might look like a good spot for a family to picnic. Now when I spot one of those old rotted wood stands from many moons ago I always slow down and pay attention!

I’ve found what you said about old wood stands to be very true. I’m not sure why it is but it really seems they were magnificent spots sometimes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:02 pm

PApublic1187 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I see lots of stands hanging in my parts. More often than not I cannot think of one logical reason why someone would hang a stand there other than it might look like a good spot for a family to picnic. Now when I spot one of those old rotted wood stands from many moons ago I always slow down and pay attention!

I’ve found what you said about old wood stands to be very true. I’m not sure why it is but it really seems they were magnificent spots sometimes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

No prob! I’ve found lots of those old rotten wood treasures through the years. Have a few thoughts on the subject. One being is if a hunter is gonna lug all that lumber deep in the woods it probably ain’t due to a guess. Then others seem to mostly be based on terrain. Then I have found a few that I don’t know what the heck is the attraction. But looking around I see scrapes and many years of historical rubs. Suspect they were a lot smarter than me. Regardless like I said when I find em I stop and pay attention. Dummy hunting at its finest :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:21 pm

First and foremost I try and figure out if it’s being used or not. Or if it’s a bow or gun stand. I also do the branch thing that was mentioned previously.

If I know it’s being used then I’m out. But I treat it like it’s not even there if it’s not being used. Every deer I’ve ever killed walked within range of a hunter’s set up (mine) ;)

My 2019 buck was standing right next to a box stand on private when i shot it. Tyler’s 160’s buck was also next to a box stand, and I just watched my target buck walk past a box stand Sunday night.

You’re going to be missing out on a lot of action if you ignore every area with a stand in it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:23 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:

No prob! I’ve found lots of those old rotten wood treasures through the years. Have a few thoughts on the subject. One being is if a hunter is gonna lug all that lumber deep in the woods it probably ain’t due to a guess. Then others seem to mostly be based on terrain. Then I have found a few that I don’t know what the heck is the attraction. But looking around I see scrapes and many years of historical rubs. Suspect they were a lot smarter than me. Regardless like I said when I find em I stop and pay attention. Dummy hunting at its finest :lol:

My biggest MN archery buck came from a spot with remnants of an old stand about 10 yards away.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:48 pm

When i was a kid, maybe like 15 or so, i found a massive old homemade stand crumbling in an old and twisted burr oak on a new farm i got permission on.

So i climbed up in it to look around and there carved in with a knife was “16 pointer 11/9/1983”. My mind ran wild at that age imagining a 16 point buck walking by this spot.

To this day i love finding old wooden stands and imagining the hunts that occurred out of it in some bygone era.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:21 am

Lockdown wrote:First and foremost I try and figure out if it’s being used or not. Or if it’s a bow or gun stand. I also do the branch thing that was mentioned previously.

If I know it’s being used then I’m out. But I treat it like it’s not even there if it’s not being used. Every deer I’ve ever killed walked within range of a hunter’s set up (mine) ;)

My 2019 buck was standing right next to a box stand on private when i shot it. Tyler’s 160’s buck was also next to a box stand, and I just watched my target buck walk past a box stand Sunday night.

You’re going to be missing out on a lot of action if you ignore every area with a stand in it.

Put some branches in the climbing sticks the they would have to move to climb. Im %100 not going to ignore the area.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 am

I really dont see a cure for it, people are going to let their stuff in the woods no mattet what laws are written. One thing i find is properties have pressure cycles, what i mean by that is a property will be good then word gets out and the area gets crowded. The hunting gets bad and people leave and a few years go by then the hunting gets good again. This is why i have a ton of different spots and i try to hit them on the good side of the cycle.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:06 am

I used to work for the MO dept of conservation several years ago. I worked with two other guys most of the time. Our jobs were to take care/improve certain conservation areas. This included TSI, food plotting, trail maintenance, trash pickup, invasive species removal, etc.. You name it, we did it. We would find stands and ground blinds both left out after season, and much longer after the time they were allotted to remove them. We asked what we should do with them, and the response was that we should treat them as trash and either discard them or take them home with us. Needless to say, we got several free stands out of the deal. We ended up keeping a few and giving some of them to others so they didn't just become trash.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”