Do you ever get burnt?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

Do you ever get burnt?

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 am

I am noticing that when I first get out to scout a property, I start real slow and take everything in and am super curious but then the longer I scout, the faster I walk, the more sign I walk by that before I was investigating and its like my standards slowly increase. I really want to take it slow and take everything in, but for some reason its like I get burnt? Don't get me wrong, I love the scouting. It seems more subconscious?

Any advice? Similar experience?

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Do you ever get burnt?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 am

I don’t know about you but personally scouting is really a hobby in of itself for me as much as hunting. So i look at it almost the same as hunting, meaning me enjoying the outdoors, instead of a means to an end being i kill a deer.

Now, not saying i ever intentionally made it this way it’s just sort of evolved this way over more than 3 decades of hunting. I do believe some things just take time to evolve as i do think i looked at scouting much differently in the early 90s than i do now. Back then it was very much find the sign to locate the kill spot i need to be in next fall. It was very much a task i needed to do. Don’t get me wrong, that’s still the goal at the end of the day but it’s not a job or a task that is ever completed for me now it’s more an excuse to get some “me time” in the woods, same as hunting.

Not sure there is any one strategy to acclompish what you’re asking other than to learn to enjoy the process for lack of a better term as i’m not really saying you don’t enjoy scouting if that makes any sense? Hunting and scouting are all one to me really at this point.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:02 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I don’t know about you but personally scouting is really a hobby in of itself for me as much as hunting. So i look at it almost the same as hunting, meaning me enjoying the outdoors, instead of a means to an end being i kill a deer.

Now, not saying i ever intentionally made it this way it’s just sort of evolved this way over more than 3 decades of hunting. I do believe some things just take time to evolve as i do think i looked at scouting much differently in the early 90s than i do now. Back then it was very much find the sign to locate the kill spot i need to be in next fall. It was very much a task i needed to do. Don’t get me wrong, that’s still the goal at the end of the day but it’s not a job or a task that is ever completed for me now it’s more an excuse to get some “me time” in the woods, same as hunting.

Not sure there is any one strategy to acclompish what you’re asking other than to learn to enjoy the process for lack of a better term as i’m not really saying you don’t enjoy scouting if that makes any sense? Hunting and scouting are all one to me really at this point.

I see yeah! This is my second beast year, and my first really spring scouting. SO I think i'll understand more when it hits hunting season haha. I just know if I do not scout/procrastinate, It's gonna take me longer to learn areas and probably end up with me messing up hunts.

But one thing I am noticing is my online scouting. I can now look at areas that look similar to what I have scouted and decipher better if worth looking at. I purchased the swamp, hill, and farm bedding DVD's as well. Excited for them to arrive.

Maybe I just need to take some breaks while scouting a property, ya know sit down, slow myself down, sorta like hunting right? Really absorb it all. I know that I always feel rushed for some reason, I just need to accept the fact it will take time.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:17 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:I don’t know about you but personally scouting is really a hobby in of itself for me as much as hunting. So i look at it almost the same as hunting, meaning me enjoying the outdoors, instead of a means to an end being i kill a deer.

I see yeah! This is my second beast year, and my first really spring scouting. SO I think i'll understand more when it hits hunting season haha. I just know if I do not scout/procrastinate, It's gonna take me longer to learn areas and probably end up with me messing up hunts.

But one thing I am noticing is my online scouting. I can now look at areas that look similar to what I have scouted and decipher better if worth looking at. I purchased the swamp, hill, and farm bedding DVD's as well. Excited for them to arrive.

Maybe I just need to take some breaks while scouting a property, ya know sit down, slow myself down, sorta like hunting right? Really absorb it all. I know that I always feel rushed for some reason, I just need to accept the fact it will take time.

Pretty sure you just answered your own question here. Seems you’re well on your way to connecting the dots, best of luck.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:22 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:

Pretty sure you just answered your own question here. Seems you’re well on your way to connecting the dots, best of luck.

Haha I did. Thanks man! Hope you have a great season!
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed May 04, 2022 6:18 am

I think this is just a natural progression for those starting out with this style of hunting. For me, I was doing scouting and I wasn't seeing it pay off right away. But believe me when I say it will pay off! And once you get a taste of success that you can directly connect to the work you did in the pre-season, scouting will become as enjoyable as the hunt! Please stick with it!

I would strongly suggest keeping a journal as well. I make videos of my scouts as if the video was intended to be posted on YouTube to share with others but I never post them, ha! This has really helped me to track all my spots and not forget anything. I have actually gone back and reviewed old videos where I was able to pick up on something that I didn't realize at the time I was scouting!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
resolutetackle

Unread postby resolutetackle » Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 am

I have noticed that I seem to get less intrigued by rubs and sign on hour 4 vs hour 2 of a scouting expedition. If it’s hot enough or “big” enough sign that’s a different story.

I always try do do my best to take notes and pictures which I review once home to help retain the most valuable information learned from the scouting trip
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Fri May 06, 2022 6:21 am

i'm the opposite, i start going fast and then when i find something that peaks my interest i start slower and spend way more time in the area.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat May 07, 2022 3:01 am

Thank you! Yeah, scouting is fun to me. It's just sometimes I get worried about time and stuff. Need to let go of that.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat May 07, 2022 4:58 am

Andr3wxmma wrote:i'm the opposite, i start going fast and then when i find something that peaks my interest i start slower and spend way more time in the area.

Have to echo this because I am the same way, I kind of scout in layers. First trip to a property I give it a quick go of things hitting some of the spots that look the best and checking transition areas. If I find something interested I certainly stay in that area and scout it out and at the very least formulate some setups for different winds and such, but generally speaking I am trying to assess the area as a whole and my odds of connecting on a buck there. However so many times beds can be hot one year and gone the next so it really helps me to make additional trips and really get to know the area. Ideally you find that one killer spot where the sign says a whole lot of bucks have used this particular bedding area for years and years but its not always that easy. Sometimes I will hunt an area for 5 years and finally give up on it, other times I overlook things and didn't realize what an absolute honey hole I found and either didn't see it or wasn't hunting it right or a mix of issues. Every year I pick up something new too, either learning a property I know well, hunt a bedding area a little different than the year before, or fine tuning my scouting to find the best spots. It is really what makes this so much fun, there is a never ending series of things to learn and levels to climb. Add in some logging and pressure and you kind of have a constantly evolving situation anyway so best to be flexible and adaptable as much as possible.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun May 08, 2022 12:06 am

headgear wrote:
Andr3wxmma wrote:i'm the opposite, i start going fast and then when i find something that peaks my interest i start slower and spend way more time in the area.

Have to echo this because I am the same way, I kind of scout in layers. First trip to a property I give it a quick go of things hitting some of the spots that look the best and checking transition areas. If I find something interested I certainly stay in that area and scout it out and at the very least formulate some setups for different winds and such, but generally speaking I am trying to assess the area as a whole and my odds of connecting on a buck there. However so many times beds can be hot one year and gone the next so it really helps me to make additional trips and really get to know the area. Ideally you find that one killer spot where the sign says a whole lot of bucks have used this particular bedding area for years and years but its not always that easy. Sometimes I will hunt an area for 5 yearsand finally give up on it, other times I overlook things and didn't realize what an absolute honey hole I found and either didn't see it or wasn't hunting it right or a mix of issues. Every year I pick up something new too, either learning a property I know well, hunt a bedding area a little different than the year before, or fine tuning my scouting to find the best spots. It is really what makes this so much fun, there is a never ending series of things to learn and levels to climb. Add in some logging and pressure and you kind of have a constantly evolving situation anyway so best to be flexible and adaptable as much as possible.

To expand on your timeframe a bit as i also will hunt a new spot for several years. Sometimes it takes that long to get the exact spot you need to be in dialed in.

Case in point, i started to hunt a brand new swamp when we relocated. Always saw nice bucks in the interior of the swamp or on the other side (private) about 3/4 of a mile a way. There was good sign on the public side too and through the years i’d relocate and seem to get ever closer encounters with nicer bucks but still be just off. Year 4 i found a perfect little tree just big enough to get into, just far enough out into the cattails to be totally overlooked by everyone else, and just hard enough to get into that i knew i found “the spot”. Killed my first mature buck out of that tree on year 4 and have it firmly entrenched in my rotation of killer public spots now.

I think the idea that experienced hunters can just walk into a property, scout it in a day or two, and kill a nice buck is wrong. Yes, that can be done once in awhile but i think it’s more typical that even experienced hunters need a couple years in a spot to really find those great big buck kill spots because there are so many nuanced unknowns like pressure, access, availability of food, even individual buck personalities/habits to figure out.

It’s a process that takes time so you just need to embrace it and enjoy it.
savageofcedars

Unread postby savageofcedars » Thu May 12, 2022 4:02 am

headgear wrote:

Have to echo this because I am the same way, I kind of scout in layers. First trip to a property I give it a quick go of things hitting some of the spots that look the best and checking transition areas. If I find something interested I certainly stay in that area and scout it out and at the very least formulate some setups for different winds and such, but generally speaking I am trying to assess the area as a whole and my odds of connecting on a buck there. However so many times beds can be hot one year and gone the next so it really helps me to make additional trips and really get to know the area. Ideally you find that one killer spot where the sign says a whole lot of bucks have used this particular bedding area for years and years but its not always that easy. Sometimes I will hunt an area for 5 years and finally give up on it, other times I overlook things and didn't realize what an absolute honey hole I found and either didn't see it or wasn't hunting it right or a mix of issues. Every year I pick up something new too, either learning a property I know well, hunt a bedding area a little different than the year before, or fine tuning my scouting to find the best spots. It is really what makes this so much fun, there is a never ending series of things to learn and levels to climb. Add in some logging and pressure and you kind of have a constantly evolving situation anyway so best to be flexible and adaptable as much as possible.

I'm kinda the same. Rip through til I find something worthwhile. I feel like big woods especially so much of it is junk that you can't waste time on a area til you see it holds some animals. I scouted a new place sunday...got there wasn't at all what I was expecting so I blew through the maples til I found oaks and terrain to concentrate travel a bit
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu May 12, 2022 5:36 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by Sailfish_WC on Thu May 12, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 am

Same.
My WMA’s require miles long bike rides to get in (no vehicles allowed) so if I do get back in there, i go fast to cover maximum ground
Often I’ll speed scout a new area the day before (we can have vehicles on the road then) hunting is allowed. It’s when you can set up your stand
Then, if I’m in a new area hunting, if I get the chance I’ll speed scout some more of that area before the hunt is over.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
headgear wrote:

Have to echo this because I am the same way, I kind of scout in layers. First trip to a property I give it a quick go of things hitting some of the spots that look the best and checking transition areas. If I find something interested I certainly stay in that area and scout it out and at the very least formulate some setups for different winds and such, but generally speaking I am trying to assess the area as a whole and my odds of connecting on a buck there. However so many times beds can be hot one year and gone the next so it really helps me to make additional trips and really get to know the area. Ideally you find that one killer spot where the sign says a whole lot of bucks have used this particular bedding area for years and years but its not always that easy. Sometimes I will hunt an area for 5 yearsand finally give up on it, other times I overlook things and didn't realize what an absolute honey hole I found and either didn't see it or wasn't hunting it right or a mix of issues. Every year I pick up something new too, either learning a property I know well, hunt a bedding area a little different than the year before, or fine tuning my scouting to find the best spots. It is really what makes this so much fun, there is a never ending series of things to learn and levels to climb. Add in some logging and pressure and you kind of have a constantly evolving situation anyway so best to be flexible and adaptable as much as possible.

To expand on your timeframe a bit as i also will hunt a new spot for several years. Sometimes it takes that long to get the exact spot you need to be in dialed in.

Case in point, i started to hunt a brand new swamp when we relocated. Always saw nice bucks in the interior of the swamp or on the other side (private) about 3/4 of a mile a way. There was good sign on the public side too and through the years i’d relocate and seem to get ever closer encounters with nicer bucks but still be just off. Year 4 i found a perfect little tree just big enough to get into, just far enough out into the cattails to be totally overlooked by everyone else, and just hard enough to get into that i knew i found “the spot”. Killed my first mature buck out of that tree on year 4 and have it firmly entrenched in my rotation of killer public spots now.

I think the idea that experienced hunters can just walk into a property, scout it in a day or two, and kill a nice buck is wrong. Yes, that can be done once in awhile but i think it’s more typical that even experienced hunters need a couple years in a spot to really find those great big buck kill spots because there are so many nuanced unknowns like pressure, access, availability of food, even individual buck personalities/habits to figure out.

It’s a process that takes time so you just need to embrace it and enjoy it.

No matter how much I walk a spot post season, spring, and summer it is still going to take me at least a year usually a couple to really figure it out.

Learning the property is step 1 then learning how the deer use it is step 2 and that one takes time
Strategically Inefficient

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”