Prevailing wind tool

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunterga
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/traditionaloutdoors

Prevailing wind tool

Unread postby bowhunterga » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:09 am

All,

Thought I would share a website utility I use to narrow scouting or "going in blind" locations based on prevailing winds for a given area.

https://www.windfinder.com lets you enter a city or zip code to get wind information and you can click "report" and then "Statistics" to see a graphical representation of the winds in that area with a percentage of each wind direction. Just another tool to have in your toolbox.

Happy Hunting!

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Prevailing wind tool

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 am

Good post, thanks for sharing!

Here is another - www.windy.com
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks for sharing. Remember to recheck the wind at the truck and at the stand as it doesn't always line up and if it doesn't make a note of it for future reference
bowhunterga
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/traditionaloutdoors

Unread postby bowhunterga » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Thanks for sharing. Remember to recheck the wind at the truck and at the stand as it doesn't always line up and if it doesn't make a note of it for future reference

Agreed. I have maintained a log for many seasons now of wind direction realized in specific locations versus what is in the forecast and what is detected where the truck is parked. :clap:
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:36 am

I have used that site to get historical prevailing winds for most of the areas I hunt. Great tool for baseline data. Thx for posting.
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:19 am

Excellent! Thanks for posting!
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:08 am

Not sure how I missed this thread but was looking for a tool to help me for understanding the prevailing winds for my area
when I checked several areas of my state the differences of prevailing winds amazed me for each area
it also explained the weather patterns we experience in the area I live

thanks to tater on another thread who pointed me to a video done by bowhunter15
https://youtu.be/sr0w4_HiMVg
https://www.windfinder.com
windfinder has historical data
while I could not find a similar feature for windy.com, anyone know if they have a historical data feature
would like to compare the data

the wind tool and the video really help me sort and narrow down the many spots I need to put boots on the ground this year
I hope this helps anyone who is new to this forum
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 am

bowhunterga wrote:All,

Thought I would share a website utility I use to narrow scouting or "going in blind" locations based on prevailing winds for a given area.

https://www.windfinder.com lets you enter a city or zip code to get wind information and you can click "report" and then "Statistics" to see a graphical representation of the winds in that area with a percentage of each wind direction. Just another tool to have in your toolbox.

Happy Hunting!

I use windfinder every day for patterning deer after I'm done scouting its a game changer
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
bowhunterga wrote:All,

Happy Hunting!

I use windfinder every day for patterning deer after I'm done scouting its a game changer
using this tool and overlaying this on topos and understanding how wind flows over terrain can put you right on top of deer every day
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 am

I use windfinder and weather under ground they both are great
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:22 am

bowhunterga wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:Thanks for sharing. Remember to recheck the wind at the truck and at the stand as it doesn't always line up and if it doesn't make a note of it for future reference

Agreed. I have maintained a log for many seasons now of wind direction realized in specific locations versus what is in the forecast and what is detected where the truck is parked. :clap:

I do this too I will hike back to my spots periodically with different winds and confirm the winds for my data
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
bowhunterga wrote:

I do this too I will hike back to my spots periodically with different winds and confirm the winds for my data

also measuring wind speed is valuable I carry a kestrel wind meter for this really helps on the so called low percentage days when the wind is howling I have special trees for those times.
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am

ghoasthunter wrote:I use windfinder every day for patterning deer after I'm done scouting its a game changer
using this tool and overlaying this on topos and understanding how wind flows over terrain can put you right on top of deer every day[/quote]

how do you overlay this on topos??
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
bowhunterga wrote:

also measuring wind speed is valuable I carry a kestrel wind meter for this really helps on the so called low percentage days when the wind is howling I have special trees for those times.

You got a link for that meter ghost?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 am

no but if you google hand held wind meter you will find them I bought mine from midway usa I think. I originally bought mine for shooting my bolt guns over a thousand yards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”