deer bedding and party balloons

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailhunter63

Re: deer bedding and party balloons

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 am

this is a great read, i first heard about this in a scouting video dan did and then stumbled upon the thread. very interesting. i will definitely be keeping an eye out for balloons next time i am in the woods

MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm

was just out this past weekend scouting a heavily hunted state forest here in MA. Got into a nice little depression with a mix of laurels and swampy bottom. A knoll on one side of the depression was covered in beds, quality droppings, and tons of rubs. Lo and behold, balloon!! I'm a believer. Seen it all over Mass.
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Drenalin wrote:I'm going to have to develop a cheap featherweight GPS chip you can attach to balloons and track on your OnX app. I'd sell them to you guys cheap, as long you don't hunt near me.

This is a pretty cool phenomenon that I'll have to keep an eye out for.

This is a super interesting idea. :clap:

Better patent that idea right now before someone else does!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm

The more I scout their is something too this theory. I've found several balloons in buck bedding areas 2019 and some recently.

One spot is a bowl with a bed on the highest point of it and a giant signpost rub down in the bottom of the bowl. Sitting in the bowl was a party balloon.

When I went in to hunt it in 2019 I kicked two bucks from that area on entry they saw me setting up. Saw nothing from a tree during this hunt.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:30 am

Scouting a small piece this morning and come across this balloon, with a bed just beyond it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
Yankee301

Unread postby Yankee301 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Just scouted two spots of Indiana public. I found some promising bedding and old balloons very close to them. Definitely something to watch for now.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Scouted into, then hunted a bowl between bedding and an oak flat opening evening in KY. 4 ballons in 100 yards. 4 does, then a pretty decent 10 pt that night. The balloons rarely disappoint.
Yankee301

Unread postby Yankee301 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:57 pm

Scouted my way in on Indiana public yesterday and found a balloon in a spot with crisscrossing trails. The wind was right so I set up in the saddle right there. Got a nice 8 pt. about 45 minutes before sunset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 pm

First post here.. Couple days ago, I took a mature buck on public land here in NY. When I shot him, he was basically standing on a party balloon. My friend who came to help get him out of the woods with me, was telling me about this site and the balloon theory. It makes sense to me, as there was another group of balloons that still had helium in them, further down the ridge a little ways and it would be more than coincidence those balloons, just converging on that one spot.

My cell cam, managed to capture the buck and balloon in same picture, just after the shot.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 pm

Best big buck bedding area on public parcel. Guess what I found?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:18 pm

20210319_201648.jpg
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:06 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:i cant believe how much the balloon theory is blowing upon face book there are people posting balloons everyplace there has got too be something too it. :shock: but not all that surprised at same time. :think:

Dan if you make party balloon beast t shirts i will buy one right now lol

I like it! Make a funny cartoonish T-shirt with a buck laying in its bed holding a balloon that says "Good Luck (insert vulgarity)" :lol:
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:23 am

BTW- I posted this a while back. This explains the physics behind the balloons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BYVIS7ARek&t=40s
and here is an article about it: https://ucscphysicsdemo.sites.ucsc.edu/ ... in-vacuum/

Not sure if it helps or hurts with your hunt- but could be an extra tidbit to put in the scouting toolbelt.
DaWiz9578

Unread postby DaWiz9578 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 am

Was just out with my father in law walking his hunting property this weekend and came across a balloon. He was pretty much upset he had to pick up garbage but I tried telling him that might be a pretty good indicator of your thermals wind direction and what not. He just brushed it off and continued to tell me how the deer move through the area and its the same way all day every day morning and evening....knows it like the back of his hand. :lol:. Thought to myself you better stick to private.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 am

I find these all the time in bedding as well. I like the air current theory, makes sense.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”