deer bedding and party balloons

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bulldog27

Re: deer bedding and party balloons

Unread postby Bulldog27 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:19 am

So I have found two balloons within 200 yards of each other.
I have not found any bedding in the area of either, o have seen one good buck on the hoof IVO on of the balloons.
Am I missing the bedding? I feel like I know what I’m looking for but maybe not. The balloons are both on high dobs (the hunting area is a low river bottom prom to flooding).
What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Frustrated

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 am

Bulldog27 wrote:So I have found two balloons within 200 yards of each other.
I have not found any bedding in the area of either, o have seen one good buck on the hoof IVO on of the balloons.
Am I missing the bedding? I feel like I know what I’m looking for but maybe not. The balloons are both on high dobs (the hunting area is a low river bottom prom to flooding).
What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Frustrated

Probably not doing anything wrong. There are no rules, just observations.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Bulldog27

Unread postby Bulldog27 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:23 pm

I’m just nit sure why in not finding bedding.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Found a party balloon while scouting today but this guy already took the area over. Figured I better give him some space and moved on. :shifty:

Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm

Found a balloon today in a decent bedding area. Had a couple thigh to chest high rubs and a bunch of old scrapes around. Probably 10 good beds spread out over 3 different areas. I didn't walk the one point all the way down didn't have my knee boots with me. Stupid thick didn't feel like getting wet before work. Pretty close to parking lot. No new hunter sign that I could find. One old ladder stand that looked like it hadn't been used in years. I woke up early from a phone call said screw it went for a walk had 2 hours to burn before I had to head to work. It was a spot I kept driving by and looking at thinking I should go walk it. Glad I did now. Picked out 3 stand locations. Hope the beast stand is up to the challenge one is a serious fat chick setup. 3 inch birch tree nestled in with some small pines. Hardly any trees over 3 inches in this spot. Might be able to pull off a ground setup also. Hopefully not too windy the day I sit it.
PA60

Unread postby PA60 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 am

Interesting topic. I found a balloon yesterday in an area many of you have described. A transition area between woods and swamp. Will have to keep my eyes open in the future.
“From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive.”
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 am

Found one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:12 am

Found a spot with a balloon this spring close to bedding, with a crazy rub line coming out of it. There was also a scrape there. Started getting my trail cams out a couple weeks ago and put a cell cam on this spot. I've had a couple deer go through, but the crazy thing is this camera is taking an abnormally high number of pics with nothing there. You can tell the tree leaves are moving around a lot and setting the camera off. The funny thing is I have 4 other cameras within a half mile of this spot, some of which are more exposed to prevailing wind, with the same type and amount of vegetation, and they aren't taking all these blank pics. This spot is actually kind of protected from prevailing winds but its still winder there than anywhere else in the area. Just thought it was a pretty interesting phenomena and wanted to share. 8-)
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:12 am

Quick follow up on my post above, after a couple weeks, the cell cam I have on the spot I found the party balloon this spring has been producing pics of this buck almost daily. Been fun watching his antlers grow. Always been a little skeptical of the party balloon thing but am becoming a believer that there can be something to it. Its too early to tell if i had this buck on camera last year, but I have a feeling he is one of the bigger bucks I had show up a couple times about a half mile away and didn't figure out where he was coming from. I learned a ton more about this spot spring scouting and would have walked right past this little zone had I not spotted the party balloon.

I am going to bounce most of my cameras around through the rest of summer and into the season, but this one is going to stay put through the end of December.

Not sure exactly where he is coming from, pics are coming in 3 or 4 hours before dark so its gotta be close to a bed I didn't find yet.

Screenshot_20210625-221035_Strike Force Wireless.jpg

Screenshot_20210625-221022_Strike Force Wireless.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:43 am

He looks like he’ll be a nice one.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:01 am

Trout wrote:Quick follow up on my post above, after a couple weeks, the cell cam I have on the spot I found the party balloon this spring has been producing pics of this buck almost daily. Been fun watching his antlers grow. Always been a little skeptical of the party balloon thing but am becoming a believer that there can be something to it. Its too early to tell if i had this buck on camera last year, but I have a feeling he is one of the bigger bucks I had show up a couple times about a half mile away and didn't figure out where he was coming from. I learned a ton more about this spot spring scouting and would have walked right past this little zone had I not spotted the party balloon.

I am going to bounce most of my cameras around through the rest of summer and into the season, but this one is going to stay put through the end of December.

Not sure exactly where he is coming from, pics are coming in 3 or 4 hours before dark so its gotta be close to a bed I didn't find yet.

Man them brows are already impressive. Be cool to see the growth if he keeps posing for you down the road. Good luck
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Did some scouting on a new area on hill country today and found a raised area around a beaver pond with buck bedding around it with one really well used bed with lots of hair. While looking for a kill tree, sure enough there's a balloon 10 yd from the tree
20210627_165945_copy_2774x3699.jpg
20210627_170552.jpg
AlwaysWhitetail

Unread postby AlwaysWhitetail » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:39 pm

It just can NOT be coincidence at this point. Finding the balloons down here in the DEEP south.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:29 am

Trout wrote:Quick follow up on my post above, after a couple weeks, the cell cam I have on the spot I found the party balloon this spring has been producing pics of this buck almost daily. Been fun watching his antlers grow. Always been a little skeptical of the party balloon thing but am becoming a believer that there can be something to it. Its too early to tell if i had this buck on camera last year, but I have a feeling he is one of the bigger bucks I had show up a couple times about a half mile away and didn't figure out where he was coming from. I learned a ton more about this spot spring scouting and would have walked right past this little zone had I not spotted the party balloon.

You just gave me an idea where to hang a camera that I really didn’t think of hanging one there because it’s close to access and open but not many people walk over there. It’s a spot I found a party ballon and there was a big cluster of rubs coming out of a swamp. Looked like a thermal mixing zone the way the elevation drained into that spot
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:47 am

Another walk on the woods, another balloon, another buck bed 15 feet from the balloon
20210821_095745_HDR.jpg

20210821_095706_HDR.jpg
funny I stumbled across the balloon at the bottom of a rocky face, and figured I'll glance around for a bed.. sure enough!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”