deer bedding and party balloons

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: deer bedding and party balloons

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 am

i cant believe how much the balloon theory is blowing upon face book there are people posting balloons everyplace there has got too be something too it. :shock: but not all that surprised at same time. :think:

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am

ghoasthunter wrote:i cant believe how much the balloon theory is blowing upon face book there are people posting balloons everyplace there has got too be something too it. :shock: but not all that surprised at same time. :think:

Dan if you make party balloon beast t shirts i will buy one right now lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:38 am

My mind is completely blown by this thread. Incredible. :clap:
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:00 am

I hunt public hill country and have seen a lot of balloons in the woods over the years. It always aggravated me because its litter in places most don’t go. My wife recently went with me to pull a trail camera that I placed in a known bedding area. She noticed a balloon half covered in leaves and said; what’s that? I said that’s an old balloon, I get tired of seeing them out in the woods around places I hunt. When I noticed this thread the light came on, this topic is very interesting. I will take a picture next time I run across one.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 am

I have a hard enough time finding a bed much less a bed with a used party favor in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:26 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I have a hard enough time finding a bed much less a bed with a used party favor in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Muddy just found a whole ridge full of party favors for you, Dave.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=49313
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I have a hard enough time finding a bed much less a bed with a used party favor in it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Muddy just found a whole ridge full of party favors for you, Dave.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=49313

lol
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Read this thread and it made me think of this picture I had from a few years back of a buck heading into bedding with a broken party balloon laying on the ground.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Sounds like a balloon invasion of some type. Maybe the Chinese or the Russians. :shifty:
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Motivated wrote:Nevermind jawbone or cementum aging... This whole time all we had to do was count the number of birthday party balloons in their bedding area! I never made the connection! :doh:

By the way, medical professionals have now determined that birthdays are good for your health. They discovered that people with more birthdays seem to live longer... :think:

Seriously though on the topic at hand. There is something really smart about the way you were thinking about down drafts and swirling winds. Also people tend to pick up trash in the woods believe it or not. But if people don't go in the thick stuff then those mylar balloons last forever.

I think though that conclusions can be drawn too far with just about anything in life. There's not a huge sample size when people release balloons, so many of these are just random. You would likely have to release thousands and thousands of balloons and then do significant statistical analysis and tons of work to see if there was a connection between where the balloons eventually ended up and these downdrafts or with the buck bedding areas.

Finally, there is something real about observation bias. If you look for something, then you tend to find what you are looking for. Our brains search for patterns, and now many folks who have read this will tend to notice these mylar balloons more frequently, just because they simply read this thread.

No doubt in my mind thousands and thousands have been released. And as mentioned, they last a long time.

But you do bring up excellent points to consider.

Good post
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Eb009

Unread postby Eb009 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Just found a remote buck bed/bedding area yesterday while scouting. I noted an old balloon on the ground near the bedding area. I have a few other places that have balloons. I always make note because if I get turned around in the dark I use the balloons as landmarks. Never thought about thermals and wind in relation to the balloons ending up there. Crazy. Great thread!
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:44 am

I read where I think both Gene & Barry Wensel shot bucks and both ended up dying beside an old party balloon. I think maybe even one of their friends had the same experience and they all laughed about it. That's what made me chuckle when I found that bedding area in the picture I posted before with the 8ptr and the balloon in it. I thought wow what a funny coincidence. But now reading here in this thread when good hunter after good hunter starts noticing the same thing with balloons showing up in bedding etc. it stops becoming a coincidence and becomes a trend to take note of. If anything it can help identify a location where a deer has a wind advantage that we may not perceive because of our not living through our nose. I'm going to pay more attention when I find a balloon in the future.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Just got done scouting a pretty remote area on public ground for the first time. After a mile and a quarter walk back through swamp to get to this oak island........my jaw dropped.

“You have to pay your dues”
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:15 pm

I've been hitting the scouting pretty hard in recent weeks, and really took notice to this. Found old balloons half covered in leaves very near individual beds on 3 separate occasions. All in hill country. I would think the "thick on top and open below" areas we look for are also places rising balloons would get hung up and inflate.
Barker

Unread postby Barker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Went scouting this weekend and was shocked at what I found. Saturday I scouted my property that we just closed on and started building our house and found this:
The red circle is a well used bed up against that tree about 15ft away.

Sunday morning I scouted a new piece of public that I always had a hunch about. Right off the road, between two large parking spots I confirmed a few great beds, big rubs, and of course just up the ridge from the beds:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”