Simple Scouting is Best

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Simple Scouting is Best

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:To give an example of how simple sign interpretation can be, I must first state that nothing in sign reading is absolute. However, there are Major tendencies that can be interpreted the vast majority of the time.

Whether it is a bare patch of dirt next to a farm field, a sandy or dirt road, a two-track road in the woods...

When you come across a big track and there are no other tracks crossing with it... no other deer at all...

DING DING DING !!!

No, the odds are not that it is an old dry doe...

Bridge

Great post bridge!
You talking about tracks on roads is one of my big scouting technics that i really picked up on quick. I do this religiously when scouting new areas. I start from the road (espeacilly after a nice rain) and take off from there! As soon i as i pull in i have my window down and cruzing and swirving at about 3 mph with my eyes glued to the edge of the road. To me it has gottin me in the scouting game the quickest! If i dont see what i need to from the road, i then hike to areas picked out off maps and scout them.
I was one that relied on pixie dust and the camera game to rely on when to hunt in years past. Not anymore i set down all the stuff, well i do use a camera for inventory but there in spots i dont plan on hunting, probably most cases the deer will retreat those areas when pressure is on or come in at night anyway. My soul objective is to go in stand on back and scout till the sign is right. Beast scouting has made me that way. I have learned to walk past old sign and gauge it when was hot and plan to set an attack for that time frame, my so purpose to go till the sign is freshest and hunt it that on that hunt. I learned this by scouting and trying to hunt what i scouted last year, setting up on what i was scouted but had no rime or reason to hunt there at that time. It pushed me to look for the freshest sign, and not settling till i find it. Basically a camera doesnt do me any good the day im hunting, scouting for fresh tracks, scat, and fresh rubs does! What i do walk past thats old i mark on a map, save for later use.
Scout after season to me gets me in the right areas of big buck, scouting/hunting with stand on the back, looking for fresh sign puts me in the place to hunt!

Thanks, for posting your knowledge on here, you are one i read every post and try to put it to use!

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Simple Scouting is Best

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:18 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:To give an example of how simple sign interpretation can be, I must first state that nothing in sign reading is absolute. However, there are Major tendencies that can be interpreted the vast majority of the time.

Whether it is a bare patch of dirt next to a farm field, a sandy or dirt road, a two-track road in the woods...

When you come across a big track and there are no other tracks crossing with it... no other deer at all...

DING DING DING !!!

No, the odds are not that it is an old dry doe...

Bridge

Great post bridge!
You talking about tracks on roads is one of my big scouting technics that i really picked up on quick. I do this religiously when scouting new areas. I start from the road (espeacilly after a nice rain) and take off from there! As soon i as i pull in i have my window down and cruzing and swirving at about 3 mph with my eyes glued to the edge of the road. To me it has gottin me in the scouting game the quickest! If i dont see what i need to from the road, i then hike to areas picked out off maps and scout them.
I was one that relied on pixie dust and the camera game to rely on when to hunt in years past. Not anymore i set down all the stuff, well i do use a camera for inventory but there in spots i dont plan on hunting, probably most cases the deer will retreat those areas when pressure is on or come in at night anyway. My soul objective is to go in stand on back and scout till the sign is right. Beast scouting has made me that way. I have learned to walk past old sign and gauge it when was hot and plan to set an attack for that time frame, my so purpose to go till the sign is freshest and hunt it that on that hunt. I learned this by scouting and trying to hunt what i scouted last year, setting up on what i was scouted but had no rime or reason to hunt there at that time. It pushed me to look for the freshest sign, and not settling till i find it. Basically a camera doesnt do me any good the day im hunting, scouting for fresh tracks, scat, and fresh rubs does! What i do walk past thats old i mark on a map, save for later use.
Scout after season to me gets me in the right areas of big buck, scouting/hunting with stand on the back, looking for fresh sign puts me in the place to hunt!

Thanks, for posting your knowledge on here, you are one i read every post and try to put it to use!

You bet- that's what Beast Nation is all about.

Bridge

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”