First season beast style. Map help please!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

First season beast style. Map help please!

Unread postby seuss79 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 am

First off, sorry for asking questions with nothing valuable to contribute. Once I get the hang of this Beast style, I will contribute as much as I can.

After work I'm going to put boots on the ground to find observation stand locations on this piece of ground. Never stepped foot here. I don't want to be too intrusive and mess it up. I figured the first few hunts will be observations unless I get lucky.

This is my first beast season and with work this year, turnaround 7 days a week in the spring, I had no time to scout. This is a learning experience for me.

Please chime in and help me with where you think potential bedding areas are and potential observation stand locations could be from the pic. I'm not sure I'm even in the game right now besides picking edges.

I've left a blank slate you can mark up. North is up. S/W wind and west right now. This is north half of Illinois. Oct 1 is opener.

I appreciate any and all help/advice that you all are willing to share.
2073160467.png

botemple

Re: First season beast style. Map help please!

Unread postby botemple » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 am

I'd look for bedding and tracks in the 2 oxbows in the creek. Where the creek makes and S there is usually a trail where they cross in the middle of the S. I would also try and figure out what they are doing for food so you better understand which way they may exit their bed.
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 am

I'd look for bedding and tracks in the 2 oxbows in the creek. Where the creek makes and S there is usually a trail where they cross in the middle of the S. I would also try and figure out what they are doing for food so you better understand which way they may exit their bed.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 am

botemple wrote:I'd look for bedding and tracks in the 2 oxbows in the creek. Where the creek makes and S there is usually a trail where they cross in the middle of the S. I would also try and figure out what they are doing for food so you better understand which way they may exit their bed.

Definitely a spot I want to check. I only had 1 hour for some quick recon. Couldn't venture that far. There is a trail and a bridge to cross the creek in the oxbow. See pic. Red arrow.
Still want to give it a look though.

334514626.png
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:35 am

Went out last night. Only had 1 hour to check out some of it. In the pic above, the lower left corner there is a parking area where it looks like a road starts on the property. The only other parking area is in the upper right where it looks like a road heads south. It's all walk in. Old roads are overgrown and only used for maintenance.

I only had time to check out the small section of woods by the parking area.I ended up getting a little more intrusive than I hoped to but some of it was by accident. I was following trails looking for fresh sign. The waypoints that show "people running" are tree stands that I found. The red waypoints are buck beds. Brown is a rub. I was really surprised to see so many treestands so close to the parking area. However, maybe this is the case because there's only two access points and many people do not go too deep. I do not know yet and will not until I do further investigation.

Red bed
Brown rub
Running man treestand
Orange in woods are deer trails.
Everything north of brown waypoint up to the furthest north waypoint, I just skimmed the outside edge of the woods from the field because of time.

777848304.png

This pic has a bed next to this rub. Several other small rubs here as well. I thought I got a pic of the bed but I must not have.
IMG_20190917_174102.jpg

These are beds as well. Found some tracks in them and poop in one. Poop was still fairly fresh. Not dried out. Just neatly tucked in little pockets.
IMG_20190917_180302.jpg
IMG_20190917_180251.jpg
IMG_20190917_175928.jpg

IMG_20190917_180255.jpg

I usually discount anything on these bushy trees. Honeysuckle or whatever the invasive species is. Bark usually falls off every fall and can fool you as a rub. However, this is only in two small places on this one. The bark is also not loose yet. Also within 20 feet of the bed I found the bed with rubs.
IMG_20190917_175112.jpg
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 am

Pressure creates opportunities. Check transitions check out areas that allow a deer to observe people and escape clean.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”