OnX vs Basemap vs Gaia

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: OnX vs Basemap vs Gaia

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 am

bass28 wrote:I've been going between onX and HuntStand. HuntStand has high quality maps.

I require the offline maps so I never considered huntstand. I have the free version of huntstand & have liked it.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 02, 2020 9:30 am

I use onX and have for several years. Like off line maps. Its fairly accurate. Going be difficult to have pin point accuracy from satellites.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat May 02, 2020 10:26 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I use onX and have for several years. Like off line maps. Its fairly accurate. Going be difficult to have pin point accuracy from satellites.

Same here.

Using the offline maps greatly speeds up the OnX app. I mostly use it for the boundary information. The owner info here in the northeast seems to have a long lag.

For navigation I use my Garmin 62S. It is more accurate than using my phone.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:I use onX and have for several years. Like off line maps. Its fairly accurate. Going be difficult to have pin point accuracy from satellites.

Same here.

Using the offline maps greatly speeds up the OnX app. I mostly use it for the boundary information. The owner info here in the northeast seems to have a long lag.

For navigation I use my Garmin 62S. It is more accurate than using my phone.

Bob

Same here. :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:50 am

I wouldn’t switch from onx cuz I have waaaaay to much info saved to that app. Is there a way to easily transfer data between apps? I wouldn’t think they’d make it very easy to do.
Levantou

Unread postby Levantou » Sat May 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes, there is a way to transfer from OnX to Basemap. They have instructions on how to export from OnX and import to Basemap. It's almost the same process as transferring to or from Google Earth.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm

My question for the guys who have used basecamp, I know it gives the landowners name like OnX, but does it give their tax address like Onx?
khel

Unread postby khel » Sat May 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Pudster wrote:My question for the guys who have used basecamp, I know it gives the landowners name like OnX, but does it give their tax address like Onx?

It sure does.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue May 05, 2020 6:31 am

I'm trying to get into this whole virtual scouting deal.

I don't own a reliable GPS, so would just use my phone and the Iowa atlas for now.

I am not interested on spending $100 between the 3- just go with OnX and then try to figure out GE to overlay if need be? I have a ton of research to do as I don't really even know what I'm looking at at this point-this stuff can be overwhelming!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue May 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:I'm trying to get into this whole virtual scouting deal.

I don't own a reliable GPS, so would just use my phone and the Iowa atlas for now.

I am not interested on spending $100 between the 3- just go with OnX and then try to figure out GE to overlay if need be? I have a ton of research to do as I don't really even know what I'm looking at at this point-this stuff can be overwhelming!

I think you would be just fine with your phone for most everything. I take a portable power with me so I can recharge.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:34 am

khel wrote:Just a couple of observations after using OnX, Basemap and Gaia. (paid versions)

OnX - (used it for a couple of seasons)
Most expensive. $29 per year (single state) or $99 for all states (they do have military discount I hear)
Least amount of maps. No hi-res satellite.
Public land maps. VPA overlays for Wisconsin.
Good interface.
Private land boundaries, acreage, and owners info.
Conclusion - love it for hunting, though basemap is catching up.

Basemap - direct competitor to OnX (just got it, used it on a few shed hunting hikes)
Least expensive $29 for all states (first responders /military discounts available as well) No trial of premium membership.
Good amount of maps. Public land maps. VPA maps for Wisconsin. Hi-res satellite maps.
Good interface but can be a bit clunky and slow
Private land boundaries. No other info.
Conclusion - not quite ready to make a switch from OnX, but really close.

Just downloaded both apps.
I’m a public land hunter in FL

I had high hopes for Onyx but I’m not sold on it.
It’s slower to load (for me) and the satellite imagery doesn’t appear as detailed as BaseMap
Basemap also appears to have non-named roads in the public woods identified and onyx doesn’t.

The property boundary’s/lines appear equal

I haven’t used them in the woods yet but I’d like to know how are they each with a track? Heading into and out of stands in the dark it would be helpful for me, to follow a saved track

I know this thread is a bit older, what have other observations have you noticed with the apps over time?
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 am

I have BM, Gaia, and OnX on my phone. I will throw in another comment regarding OnX and their WEB application I have not seen stated. I have over 3000 waypoints and the Onx WEB appl is dog shi& slow!!!!!! The web app is not even usable as it is so frustrating as E scouting is much better on a 27" screen !!! I have had the issue for over a year, I have been working with OnX for a solution, and they still do not have a solution and are not sure when they will have one.

Therefore, note that icon symbols and color coding do not transfer accross gps platforms. Therefore, you better use a detailed naming convention to differentiate waypoint types when transferring them to different systems.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:05 am

PeteD wrote:I have BM, Gaia, and OnX on my phone. I will throw in another comment regarding OnX and their WEB application I have not seen stated. I have over 3000 waypoints and the Onx WEB appl is dog shi& slow!!!!!! The web app is not even usable as it is so frustrating as E scouting is much better on a 27" screen !!! I have had the issue for over a year, I have been working with OnX for a solution, and they still do not have a solution and are not sure when they will have one.

Therefore, note that icon symbols and color coding do not transfer accross gps platforms. Therefore, you better use a detailed naming convention to differentiate waypoint types when transferring them to different systems.

I have the same exact problems with Onx web platform. They keep giving me things to try and nothing changes. I also have over 3000 waypoints but the issue started showing already with about 1500 waypoints. Works just fine on the phone app. Very frustrating because I also like cyberscouting with a big screen. Sucks doing it on a phone.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:19 am

Since i posted last on this. I have pretty much switched primarily to Basemap. Hunstand, on my current phone, does not have a direction arrow. I have contacted them over a year ago, and been told they will be updating the program so you can change the arrow head size. Nothing done in the past year, even after multiple emails back and forth on it. I have been updating my basemap with my more used spots, and slowly update it with the others over time. Basemap has a nice arrow for direction, but you can also go into a mode where you get a line going out 200-300 yds or further depending on how far in you are zoomed, kind of a nice feature when you are hiking in. With huntstand, you cannot output your files, another thing I do not like. otherwise, I was happy with huntstand.

next phone upgrade, it will probably work again. lol
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:01 am

I've tried quite a few... Gaia, OnX, Hunt Stand, and Spartan Forge... Gaia is the best in my opinion. Huntstand was powerful, but in making it so powerful they overlooked some really simple features that it should have. For example, I can attach a photo to a waypoint on the PC, but not on the phone that took the picture. Who overlooked that! I can't view multiple "hunt areas" at the same time. No direction of travel arrow and the compass is super crazy and flakey. It flips 180 over on me frequently. You can't use it to navigate.

Gaia is the best all-around app I can find. I still use a handheld Garmin GPS as well (64S). But the app is nice for attaching photos to waypoints, making notes, viewing property info, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”