Imo you can't just use mobile apps for e-scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Imo you can't just use mobile apps for e-scouting

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:51 am

My paper maps are right next to my VCR and boom box cassettes......... in a landfill somewhere....

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:My paper maps are right next to my VCR and boom box cassettes......... in a landfill somewhere....

I still have my boom boxes, cassettes, vhs tapes/players, record albums and players and even a few 8 tracks. That stuff is golden and still use daily. I would never get rid of any of it. ;)

Guess I’m stuck in the old days. I enjoy nostalgia.

Map and compass reading skills are good to know. There are gonna be a whole lot of lost people someday when there is an EMP attack wiping out ALL electronics. ;)
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist when I saw this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:21 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:
PK_ wrote:I am honestly real surprised at what I am reading. I haven’t looked at a map on a computer screen in many years. :think:

I am surprised you don't do e-scouting. If I read this right.
You leave FL to go hill hunting and do VERY WELL. Guys that can do that usually have time behind a PC to prep and break down an area. Will you try upping your game with some info here?

tbunao wrote:
PK_ wrote:I am honestly real surprised at what I am reading. I haven’t looked at a map on a computer screen in many years. :think:

I am honestly really surprised that you don't do even a little with your out of state trips. Props to you sir!

Ah thanks but you took that wrong. I cyber scout heavy but I do it 100% on my phone. So I meant that I am surprised that it can be much different or more productive on a PC...

I will have to give it a look.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 am

PK_ wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:

You leave FL to go hill hunting and do VERY WELL. Guys that can do that usually have time behind a PC to prep and break down an area. Will you try upping your game with some info here?

tbunao wrote:

I am honestly really surprised that you don't do even a little with your out of state trips. Props to you sir!

Ah thanks but you took that wrong. I cyber scout heavy but I do it 100% on my phone. So I meant that I am surprised that it can be much different or more productive on a PC...

Ahhh so you are saying that you are human after all. :lol:
You'll start to notice a lot more on the PC.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:22 am

I rarely cyber scout on phone. Just quick spot checks or in field use.

I run triple monitors in my office. Makes for an awesome cyber scouting setup.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 pm

tbunao wrote:
PK_ wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:

tbunao wrote:

Ahhh so you are saying that you are human after all. :lol:
You'll start to notice a lot more on the PC.

My PC is a 48" display. That alone gives much more info. Something like Hillmap.com really needs a big display since it splits the screen.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 am

I'm still pretty new this style hunting but i dont like onx at all. For whatever reason in my area they only have like 50' contour lines and being not a mountainous area most hills only have a few lines on them. funny though on the other side of the state it has the 1' contours. I'm a big fan of cal topo thought for being able to mark stuff on the map then export it to my gps with all the marks on it
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:56 pm

I do use Onx some but mostly rely on a garmin gps. I just find it better for navigating and more accurate. I am also a big fan of google earth. I like to look at the historical maps, especially like the older black and white photos, really shows ridges and sloughs well. Now when I get home from scouting I save all my new way points on google earth, even make notes on what I saw. It has helped me narrow down some spots I kept overlooking more than once.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 am

Good post and totally agree!

I just introduced a hiker to Caltopo and he is thanking me today for it!
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:40 am

tbunao wrote:It amazes me to see so many people on social media complaining about the maps on their mobile apps. They strictly rely on these apps. Maybe someday these apps will compete with Google earth or caltopo but until then, imo you have to use a desktop source to coincide with your mobile apps. The imagery, time feature and topo lines are far superior on the desktop. Transferring pins from desktop to your mobile app is extremely simple as well. Place the pins you want on Google earth in one folder, save as kmz, open OnX on your desktop, upload file, done.

This is extremely helpful! Thanks and good to know.
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:57 am

I think people look WAY too much into the E scouting thing.

Take out ANY mapping app on your phone, Onx, Google Maps, etc and just look at the property you want to hunt then use it to find likely bedding, bottlenecks, etc. Should take you 5-10 minutes no matter which you’re using then get out and walk to the spots to either scout them or hunt them and you’ll have all the info you’ll need to start breaking the property down into manageable and productive chunks.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:14 pm

hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 am

tbunao wrote:It amazes me to see so many people on social media complaining about the maps on their mobile apps. They strictly rely on these apps. Maybe someday these apps will compete with Google earth or caltopo but until then, imo you have to use a desktop source to coincide with your mobile apps. The imagery, time feature and topo lines are far superior on the desktop. Transferring pins from desktop to your mobile app is extremely simple as well. Place the pins you want on Google earth in one folder, save as kmz, open OnX on your desktop, upload file, done.

On line apps are Not needed for scouting. Period.
I mean, people have been hunting and killing deer for thousands of years.

Do you think hunters today are better hunters than Native Americans? Better than hunters in those in 1965?

All you need to do is walk and scout.
hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I think people look WAY too much into the E scouting thing.

Take out ANY mapping app on your phone, Onx, Google Maps, etc and just look at the property you want to hunt then use it to find likely bedding, bottlenecks, etc. Should take you 5-10 minutes no matter which you’re using then get out and walk to the spots to either scout them or hunt them and you’ll have all the info you’ll need to start breaking the property down into manageable and productive chunks.

Yup.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”