ONYX Issues

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
GreenMountains

Re: ONYX Issues

Unread postby GreenMountains » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:26 am

I also have been having issues with OnX. It has been glitchy and not as accurate. Maybe its because my phone is a year and half older? Dont know, but ill stop using it of ot gets too bad and go back to my garmin.

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Dewey wrote:In what way?

I had problem using Safari on my MacBook. The web page wouldn’t load. I contacted them and they suggested using Google Chrome. Tried that and worked fine again. Never had problems with Safari before. Works just fine on my Mac desktop and iPhone.

Same here...Safari/Firefox pooped out on my old macbook....went to chrome, everything works better.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 pm

My issue lately is too many icons (Onyx). I'm almost near 1000. Seems to really bog it down. Guess I need to start deleting a few ….
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:40 pm

strutnrut716 wrote:My issue lately is too many icons (Onyx). I'm almost near 1000. Seems to really bog it down. Guess I need to start deleting a few ….

1900 waypoints for me. Yes it does bog it down so I select the box to only list content on the map I’m zoomed in on. Also you don’t have to delete. Just deactivate the waypoints your not using under “My Content”
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Dewey wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:My issue lately is too many icons (Onyx). I'm almost near 1000. Seems to really bog it down. Guess I need to start deleting a few ….

1900 waypoints for me. Yes it does bog it down so I select the box to only list content on the map I’m zoomed in on. Also you don’t have to delete. Just deactivate the waypoints your not using under “My Content”

Thanks ! Dewey !
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 pm

i just downloaded google earth and wow there imaging is awesome! But i no longer have that clock icon to go back and lock at old aerials?
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:30 pm

brkissl82 wrote:i just downloaded google earth and wow there imaging is awesome! But i no longer have that clock icon to go back and lock at old aerials?

It's there, they just moved it or something. I will look later when I get to my computer unless someone else answers first with specifics.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Blackmamba

Unread postby Blackmamba » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:51 am

On thing I’ve noticed when I’ve been trying to pin the exact tree I want to set up in standing still my dot will “float” around? I will be standing still trying to Mark rub lines or sign and the dot that is me looks like it’s still making it’s way around the woods as if I’m still moving any ideas on this?
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:00 am

some of my waypoints and edits that i made on my phone did NOT show up on the onx website.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:34 am

greenhorndave wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
RatMe wrote:Yeah, I’ve noticed the issues as well. To put salt in the wound, I’ve been hearing and have seen super aerials from some of their competitors.

I don’t want to see those aerials from competitors because then I’ll have to figure out how I’m going to re trace all my marks and put em into their platform. That’s the only reason onX has me locked in. I can’t imagine loosing all that info.

I’m off cell service a lot and on offline maps. On x has my location pinging all over the place and my phone dies fast. It’s pretty annoying.

OnX and the other apps have ways that you can export/import your data. Look for it on their support site. So you actually can take your data with you to other apps or formats

Nice! Thanks Dave

You got it, Anything for a fellow Horton Heat fan. :D

Saw him live in 99!

The only bad thing about the export is I think you still lose the waypoint type and color you made it. At least thats the problem I've had when I exported then imported into caltopo. Its just a bunch of waypoints.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

john1984 wrote:some of my waypoints and edits that i made on my phone did NOT show up on the onx website.

That's normal. You have to select them in your waypoint list or they won't automatically show up on the web map like they do on your phone.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Dewey wrote:
john1984 wrote:some of my waypoints and edits that i made on my phone did NOT show up on the onx website.

That's normal. You have to select them in your waypoint list or they won't automatically show up on the web map like they do on your phone.

Maybe its just my cheap 3 year old phone but I had to delete OnX and re install twice over the past 12 months. Because some of the ariels of my most popular spots became blurry at certain zoom levels. Once I reinstalled OnX the Ariels became clear again but some of my waypoints /waypoint edits were missing :shifty:
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:52 pm

Just like anything. What works for one may not work for another. Onx Works awesome for me.
I think this app has actual spoiled alot of people.
Money well spent.
bgordorfski

Unread postby bgordorfski » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:55 pm

I had 1/2 my way points get deleted end of October ago. Devastating.... I didn’t realize how much I depend on that app.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 am

Blackmamba wrote:On thing I’ve noticed when I’ve been trying to pin the exact tree I want to set up in standing still my dot will “float” around? I will be standing still trying to Mark rub lines or sign and the dot that is me looks like it’s still making it’s way around the woods as if I’m still moving any ideas on this?

This happens to me on cloudy/rainy days. Clear days It is much more exact. This is with any of the GPS apps I have used on the phone.

I Gave up on OnX tho as it seemed worse than the others for reliability. I have both Gaia and BaseMap for less $$ than just OnX alone and I like both of those apps better.

I always double up my waypoints between multiple apps. No way am I trusting my info to a single third party that can go bankrupt any day...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”