Map editing or Drawing software

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sagDE

Map editing or Drawing software

Unread postby sagDE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 am

I have done a lot of scouting this spring. More then I think I have ever done before. Anyway, I have plotted all of these points on ONX, which is great, but I think that I am going to have a hard time remembering each area come the fall. I have been watching a lot of Dan's videos and notice that he either edits the satellite image by drawing on it, or draws up a picture of the area hunted or scouted on the computer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do either of those? I think that making a quick drawing that I could save in a file would allow me to remember these areas come the fall, whereas I'm certain that I would lose paper drawings! I appreciate it.

hcooper84

Re: Map editing or Drawing software

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 am

I believe many computers have a built in snipping tool. That snipping tool typically has a pen and highlighter that allows you to adjust size, color, etc. This is what I typically use to mark anything up.

Guinzy Half Mile Layout.JPG

This is a snipping from ONX that I drew on top of. Gives me the best of both worlds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:49 am

sagDE wrote:I have done a lot of scouting this spring. More then I think I have ever done before. Anyway, I have plotted all of these points on ONX, which is great, but I think that I am going to have a hard time remembering each area come the fall. I have been watching a lot of Dan's videos and notice that he either edits the satellite image by drawing on it, or draws up a picture of the area hunted or scouted on the computer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do either of those? I think that making a quick drawing that I could save in a file would allow me to remember these areas come the fall, whereas I'm certain that I would lose paper drawings! I appreciate it.

There is a "Notes" section under the edit waypoint option in OnX. I use it ALL the time. Be detailed and specific and take notes that day. See a big buck, note where he came from in reference to the way point, where was he going, wind direction, time of day, etc. Have a treestand setup, note what wind(s) it is best for, how many climbing sticks, which way the stand will face, etc. I would never be able to remember all the details without good notes, especially as the years and spots accumulate.
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:09 am

hcooper84 wrote:I believe many computers have a built in snipping tool. That snipping tool typically has a pen and highlighter that allows you to adjust size, color, etc. This is what I typically use to mark anything up.

Guinzy Half Mile Layout.JPG

This is a snipping from ONX that I drew on top of. Gives me the best of both worlds.

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
sagDE wrote:I have done a lot of scouting this spring. More then I think I have ever done before. Anyway, I have plotted all of these points on ONX, which is great, but I think that I am going to have a hard time remembering each area come the fall. I have been watching a lot of Dan's videos and notice that he either edits the satellite image by drawing on it, or draws up a picture of the area hunted or scouted on the computer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do either of those? I think that making a quick drawing that I could save in a file would allow me to remember these areas come the fall, whereas I'm certain that I would lose paper drawings! I appreciate it.

There is a "Notes" section under the edit waypoint option in OnX. I use it ALL the time. Be detailed and specific and take notes that day. See a big buck, note where he came from in reference to the way point, where was he going, wind direction, time of day, etc. Have a treestand setup, note what wind(s) it is best for, how many climbing sticks, which way the stand will face, etc. I would never be able to remember all the details without good notes, especially as the years and spots accumulate.

I do use the notes section, but I would have to write a book to detail what I could draw.
MOtgrinMI

Unread postby MOtgrinMI » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 am

I know you are specifically talking about OnX and translating that to hand drawn maps. Others have made great suggestions on how to do that.

I do want to mention that the being able to remember areas is one of the reasons I switched from OnX to HuntStand. Mainly HuntStand allows you to create as many maps over the same area as you want and only view the waypoints for that specific map. Basically this means you can create a specific map for deer sign or hunter sign if you want and having a more specific map helps recall of an area IMO. You can also view waypoints from all the maps you created for an area so they stack on one another. What I usually do is create a map for each area I hunt each year which allows me to see how sign, hunting pressure, etc changes year after year on the same pieces of public ground. It also keeps me from having a single map that has waypoints from multiple years as I found that these become way too populated/busy to discern any real patterns and makes it hard to remember what happened on an area year over year. Now with two or three years on specific public parcels, I can view all the hunter and deer sign together for all years and get a really good sense of what is being overlooked OR I can look at what happened specifically each year to look at trends of hunter or deer sign. What I usually see is that bedding is generally in the same locations but concentrations of deer sign (rubs/scrapes) tends to relate to changes in food availability on the parcel/crop rotations in late Oct/Nov and these concentrations of sign are generally away from most hunter sign year after year.

Now that much may be obvious to most guys but the key to having a map that shows year over year patterns is that I can get a sense of trends based on what food is available on a parcel, where deer are likely to move/bed depending on where concentrations of hunter sign are located, and I can make near instant decisions on where I want to hunt based on the food, deer, or hunter sign I find. It's even helpful to me when I go out to hunt a spot and find someone hunting in new area that I didn't expect because I can make an educated guess on where to set up based on that hunters likely access and food/bedding in the area. This equates to me being way more efficient and having a lot fewer wasted hunts!

HuntStand also allows you to create detailed notes for each hunt area/map you create, along with waypoints, tracks, etc and you can add photos to waypoints, tracks, areas to help you remember.

The last great feature of HuntStand that I use to help me remember is purchasing the durable, water resistant, high resolution printed maps with satelite and topography overlays that you can write on. These maps can be printed with all your waypoints, specific waypoints, or you can even have them print specific yearly maps for an area. This allows you to take these maps along you on your hunt and refresh yourself on the area and review them quickly without relying on an electronic device. You can take them along scouting and mark them up as you go which to me is way more efficient. HuntStand also allows you to save offline maps so you can use your electronic device with no service if that is what you prefer but for me I like taking the physical map along with me and marking things as I go to add to HuntStand later.

IMO these are majorly important features that OnX lacks right now. I really didn't like having to map EVERYTHING on the same map in OnX and that single map getting too populated (too many waypoints and notes for one map for me to remember). It was very hard for me to discern any patterns of hunter or deer behavior when using only a single map. Also, another benefit is that HuntStand is $30 for all states while OnX is $99 for all states - so you save money and have more features!

By the way, I am not affiliated with HuntStand in any way - I have used almost every mapping app and they all have their pro's and con's but thought I might suggest an app that I find way more helpful than OnX for my hunting style.

Good luck!
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:54 am

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a well thought out reply. I have Huntstand as well as OnX but I have never been able to get used to it. I do use it for the HuntZone wind direction feature though and have found that to be accurate for me. I may need to spend a little more time with it. I didn't even realize that you could make different map layers! Thanks
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 am

I agree, Huntstand is a great app. I loved them as scoutlook but their new format seems good. Every app I use has a specific purpose even though they are all similar.

If you want to draw on the map then id suggest using a PC.
Look up a youtube video for locating and using the 'snipping tool' for windows PCs. >Screen shot the map > at the top will have pen editing options > doodle > save. I believe MAC PCs have their own drawing software to make some really cool maps.

If you want to keep everything then id suggest developing a system that works for you. As you grow yearly it will likely change. I do not use basic hunting apps for scouting purposes. I use an actual mapping app like back country navigator (droid). I keep a master map files for every property, save that file every off season, keep adding to it yearly. I can upload the files to caltopo/google earth and see them on a big screen w my pins.

Bc bedding/targets change and thr main maps have so many pins -I use the hunting apps which has all the properties, just targets beds, wind (less scouting details). I also create a separate map file on my back country app which I log food sources and dates.

Based on other guys on here, id say my way is moderate haha

Something iv found extremely important is taking footage of the beds/spots. Its good to look back and re visit the spot. I like checking how far they can see from the beds and re read the sign. Over time iv grown to read sign better and different ideas to be successful. I just did this on a 5+ year old spots which I never hunted, I scouted it last month and found some of the best sign iv ever seen before. I keep everything hunting on a external drive.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:42 am

Theres a older thread that talked about how everyone likes to keep track of their info. I absolutely love the back country navigator app tho. It always works and has gotten me to trees in thr dark, which I scouted years prior. Love it
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 am

Yeah, I'm starting to think that keeping the data separate may be a better system. Because I can already see where the OnX map is getting cluttered. I have a Garmin GPS and use Basecamp but have been solely using OnX this year. I like the idea of being able to mark up a map for this seasons scouting then save it and start with a new map for next season but be able to overlay the two. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'll find a bedding area, then in my excitement forget to take the time to find the exit trails! Or, I'll find multiple doe trails to a food source and not look for parallel trails. At least I'm starting to figure out what I don't know.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:47 pm

What I end up doing alot of times is while scouting I will take notes or videos so I dont forget anything. I used to write everything in a word format on my phone but then that got too much so I just started taking videos instead. Its nice to be able to go back and watch everything and get a look of the area again. I also put a ton of pins on OnX seems like I add more pins for different reasons every year. I mark my access routes, any terrain differences so if Im walking a thick edge and all of a sudden it opens up I drop a pin and add notes to it, anything that stands out I will drop a pin on and make notes.

I used to use my garmin for marking everything but I find using ON X to be alot easier because I can just easily switch back and forth from my computer and phone. I find my self only using my Garmin if im going into a new area just so I can mark my access and make it easier to walk out in the dark.
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:33 am

Jhand wrote:What I end up doing alot of times is while scouting I will take notes or videos so I dont forget anything. I used to write everything in a word format on my phone but then that got too much so I just started taking videos instead. Its nice to be able to go back and watch everything and get a look of the area again. I also put a ton of pins on OnX seems like I add more pins for different reasons every year. I mark my access routes, any terrain differences so if Im walking a thick edge and all of a sudden it opens up I drop a pin and add notes to it, anything that stands out I will drop a pin on and make notes.

I used to use my garmin for marking everything but I find using ON X to be alot easier because I can just easily switch back and forth from my computer and phone. I find my self only using my Garmin if im going into a new area just so I can mark my access and make it easier to walk out in the dark.

I have taken some videos, but like an idiot I have not labeled them so now when I go back I can't remember where they're from! I'm headed back out this afternoon to scout a bedding area for the second time because I failed to locate the exit trails before. I will be taking some better photos and videos this time though! I like the garmin because it works everywhere all of the time, but on the 64st marking waypoints becomes tedious.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”