How do I access?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

How do I access?

Unread postby Seeker529 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm

I posted a pic to show a area I scouted this year of hill country this spring... I am fairly new to this type of hunting so I need help on accessing the beds.. so my questions are would you hunt this is the morning or evening? And would you access from the creek drainage up to the beds or would you park on the road and stay on top of the ridge? Any info on this is greatly appreciated!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: How do I access?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:25 am

those 2 beds on the crest of the hill... what is the distance between them? Its hard for me to figure out the scale of this map. I can give you an answer if i know.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat May 29, 2021 7:34 am

In early season, I'd access that location from the northwest on southwesterly winds for evening hunts. For my evening set up, I'd look for a staging area between 50 to 100 yards north of the oaks you have marked. Maybe some rubs and scrapes would give the staging area away for you.

During pre-rut and rut, I like that draw off the south road going down to that thermal hub. That would be good access for sure. I see you have a bed marked at the head of the draw to the northwest of that hub. I would anticipate the bucks to use that draw to enter the hub in the early morning hours or evening after the thermal shift, but mornings are probably better unless you have good cover getting in for an evening sit. Again, you'd want the thermals to shift before entering the hub for the evening sit- that last hour to 45 minutes of shooting light. My set up would be on the ground (no tree) either in the creek or in cover next to the creek by a crossing. I want my scent to dip into the creek bed or in the running water heading to the lake to the north. After you feel some swirling in the morning, that's a good time to end the hunt and leave the way you came.

Good luck!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Seeker529

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:14 am

rfickes87 wrote:those 2 beds on the crest of the hill... what is the distance between them? Its hard for me to figure out the scale of this map. I can give you an answer if i know.

It’s roughly 600 yards between the beds!
Seeker529

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat May 29, 2021 9:15 am

G-Patt wrote:In early season, I'd access that location from the northwest on southwesterly winds for evening hunts. For my evening set up, I'd look for a staging area between 50 to 100 yards north of the oaks you have marked. Maybe some rubs and scrapes would give the staging area away for you.

During pre-rut and rut, I like that draw off the south road going down to that thermal hub. That would be good access for sure. I see you have a bed marked at the head of the draw to the northwest of that hub. I would anticipate the bucks to use that draw to enter the hub in the early morning hours or evening after the thermal shift, but mornings are probably better unless you have good cover getting in for an evening sit. Again, you'd want the thermals to shift before entering the hub for the evening sit- that last hour to 45 minutes of shooting light. My set up would be on the ground (no tree) either in the creek or in cover next to the creek by a crossing. I want my scent to dip into the creek bed or in the running water heading to the lake to the north. After you feel some swirling in the morning, that's a good time to end the hunt and leave the way you came.

Good luck!

Thank you I always hunted farm so this is a great deal of information and help!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”