Fly and Bugs when Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Fly and Bugs when Scouting

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Bugs are pretty darn mild this summer. One positive result of the very dry conditions. The marshes have very little water in them except for main ditches or river channels and even those are VERY low. Cattails are pretty much dry peat. Not much breeding grounds especially for skeeters. Some deer flies but nothing like normal years.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Dewey wrote:Bugs are pretty darn mild this summer. One positive result of the very dry conditions. The marshes have very little water in them except for main ditches or river channels and even those are VERY low. Cattails are pretty much dry peat. Not much breeding grounds especially for skeeters. Some deer flies but nothing like normal years.

Agreed. Pretty weird. That same spot I took that video had almost none this year after sounding like a million tiny chainsaws floating in the air last year.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:23 pm

Seems like the horse flys this year are the top dog. I cant even drive a side by side at my place to check fence without getting nailed and it's a swamp.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:33 pm

Dhoff wrote:Seems like the horse flys this year are the top dog. I cant even drive a side by side at my place to check fence without getting nailed and it's a swamp.

Yeah, they seem worse than normal, but maybe it’s just the lack of mosquitoes that’s making them stand out
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:59 pm

I said screw it and went deep into the belly of the marsh tonight bareback with shorts, t-shirt, no bug spray, Thermacell and no dang deer fly stickers. What doesn’t kill me will only make me tougher. :lol:

I glassed till dark and survived. Skeeters were surprisingly bad right at dark but nowhere near what I’m used to during normal years. Didn’t expect any being so dry this year. I donated a few pints. Another month of this and I’ll be ready for the season.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:10 am

Same thing around here, the dry June we had really put a hurting on the skeeters. Now the deer flies are a whole different story, but still not as bad as normal years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”