Fly and Bugs when Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Fly and Bugs when Scouting

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:01 am

Just curious, but where Im at in Wisconsin, the flies get really bad during the summer months and sometimes into early fall. Anyone here got any tips or tricks that can make these bugs less annoying? I figured if any place has some tricks besides bug spray it would be this place.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Fly and Bugs when Scouting

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:11 am

I use sawyers permethrin for ticks. Spray it all over your clothes the day before you go out. Make sure its dry or it will burn your skin.

for flies just use any old bug spray.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:43 am

When bear baiting in the month of July the deer flies are usally really bad and drive you crazy... Have yet to find anything that keeps them away.. other than that ticks and masquitos don't bother me.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:48 am

I use Deep Woods off and apply it regularly during the scouting. Also Permethrin on the clothes. This isn't a perfect system but bugs can be rather relentless in the summer. If you can help it scout on cooler windy days. Also keep moving and stop when you have to.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 am

Head net!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 am

I like to do without any spray or any other type of repellant during the summer. Toughens me up for the season. :lol:

Only bug that drives me crazy are those small biting gnats. They love the face for some reason. :twisted: Jackson Marsh told me to try vanilla extract and it worked great. Thankfully I have only experienced them in the hills of Iowa so far. Once every four years isn’t so bad.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:55 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Head net!

This is the best when they’re thicker than thick.

But these work well on deer flies in July

https://www.deerflypatches.com/
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 am

Tim H wrote:I use Deep Woods off and apply it regularly during the scouting. Also Permethrin on the clothes. This isn't a perfect system but bugs can be rather relentless in the summer. If you can help it scout on cooler windy days. Also keep moving and stop when you have to.

Yup Im with you on the deep woods off. It seems to help. I try not to beat the woods too much in the summer- only to hang cameras. Heat and the bugs are the main reason. My scouting is either glassing or shining at that point.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Head net!

This is the best when they’re thicker than thick.

But these work well on deer flies in July

https://www.deerflypatches.com/

I should put a patch on the back of my neck instead of my cap. :lol: That’s where the deer flies nail me in the summer when mountain biking.

That video made me a believer. 8-)
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am

Dewey wrote:I like to do without any spray or any other type of repellant during the summer. Toughens me up for the season. :lol:

Only bug that drives me crazy are those small biting gnats. They love the face for some reason. :twisted: Jackson Marsh told me to try vanilla extract and it worked great. Thankfully I have only experienced them in the hills of Iowa so far. Once every four years isn’t so bad.

Come on up north. That'll toughen you up with bugs! :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like to do without any spray or any other type of repellant during the summer. Toughens me up for the season. :lol:

You obviously haven’t been in the middle of a cattail marsh in the heat of the summer. :lol:

The northwoods is tame by comparison. I’m speaking from experience. ;)
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 am

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

You obviously haven’t been in the middle of a cattail marsh in the heat of the summer. :lol:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Hopefully I will get a taste of summer marsh in the next month :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:53 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Hopefully I will get a taste of summer marsh in the next month :lol:

As dry as it is your gonna get off quite a bit easier this summer.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 am

When I used to trout fish a lot I would fire up a big cigar to keep the gnats away.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
Tim H wrote:I use Deep Woods off and apply it regularly during the scouting. Also Permethrin on the clothes. This isn't a perfect system but bugs can be rather relentless in the summer. If you can help it scout on cooler windy days. Also keep moving and stop when you have to.

Yup Im with you on the deep woods off. It seems to help. I try not to beat the woods too much in the summer- only to hang cameras. Heat and the bugs are the main reason. My scouting is either glassing or shining at that point.

Same here. The mosquitoes in PA are unreal. And I must be the right blood type because I can get bit several times in just a few minutes if I’m not moving. Therefore I always wear long sleeve and pants no matter the temp and spray sportsmen deep woods off. 40%deet. Seems to help. But I try to get most of my off season whitetail work done in the late winter early spring before turkey season. Summers months is the time to shine and glass.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”