ONX Map Question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waddams

ONX Map Question

Unread postby Waddams » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:33 am

For the aerials, is there a way to make it switch to older, historical imagery like in Google Earth Pro? I've been putting the hybrid ONX screen next to a 2nd screen with Google Earth open and going back in time to see better differentiation of trees / edges as well as age back as much as the historical ages to see how old cutovers are. I couldn't find a similar function in ONX, but was wondering if anyone knew of some wizardry or sorcery to do so.

Am also noticing I can sometimes spot the coloration of the oak leaves if the timing of the aerial is right and everything else hasn't really turned yet. Being able to tag that and go right to it on scouting would be magnificent. As it is I'm dropping pins from just estimating based on common features to try to get close.

Dewey

Re: ONX Map Question

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:36 am

Nope. What you see is what you get. That’s my biggest gripe about Onx. Aerial resolution is still lagging behind other apps. I noticed some areas are better than others but still far from great detail.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Agreed. With all the marketing they do maybe they will filter that $$$$ back to the imagery. Less fancy features and better images.

I actually liked the older google earth version also. This high end 3D imagery makes me eyes pop.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:15 pm

I love onx and use it like crazy, but the aerials are better elsewhere and the topos are better elsewhere. Its kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:17 am

Going back in time in google earth seems to be the best way still. I seem to rotate thru the same 5 resources when cyber scouting...

-google earth time line
-hillmap.com
-google maps
-Caltopo (because i don't like Onxmaps topo's)
-Onxmaps (for property lines and infield use)

I'm having a brain fart though :think: ...I swear I just used a "leafless" layer in Onxmaps but now I can't find it. Anyone else come across this? Was is on one of those other sites? I swear I just used it to find some mountain laurel thickets and now I can't get back to it. :doh:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:37 am

At least OnX shows clear cuts. Google maps still hasn't updated in like 8 years or more.

brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:57 am

There is a timber harvest layer in Onx for public land it has some real good info.
Can’t say I have ever needed better topos or aerials but I hunt all mature forest and know the areas pretty well usually.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”