What is my best way to scout this area?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonsakko
Facebook: brandon John sakkinen

What is my best way to scout this area?

Unread postby Brandonsakko » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:24 am

Hey guys, brand new to the beast forum and have spent a few days reading my but off on here. I attached a couple of screenshots of a swampy areas in northern Minnesota where I have spent a decent amount of time grouse hunting, but not deer hunting. Two years ago on the red marker was a 60ish inch shed that I found buried in the grass while grouse hunting in October. 30 yards away was a beautiful big buck bed where the purple point is. Last year I went in to hunt a few times and try some observation sits in early October, with the fall being quite dry it seemed like the deer could travel all over the swamps and I didn't really find anything I wanted to setup on. I was thinking about getting a few cameras hung, but Im not exactly sure where to start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: What is my best way to scout this area?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Really cool looking map.

I like the green points , bowls and lone trees.

The red are saddle and funnel rut cruising areas from swamp to swamp.

A few of those high spots may be good for dropping oaks.

Theres plenty of transition for bucks to use.

Theirs so much transition bedding could be in many places but I would start with the green areas.

Then figure out how they are moving bedding to food.

The Green circle appears lone trees in the swamp.
It is far from a road and isn't near where I would think other hunters would go. It is a area i would expect to be good..

Most hunters would stay on high areas in southeast or northwest part of the map.

Screenshot_20210806-220559_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:29 pm

I would be looking at pink for oak trees.

I would pretty much avoid northwest and southeast just due to those areas will attract hunters.

Screenshot_20210806-222758_Painter.jpg
Scott29
Facebook: Ryan Scott bottlemy

Unread postby Scott29 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:31 am

Wow do i have a lot to learn reading the way you broke that down just starting to figure out things on maps . I have to go back and learn more.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:55 am

Scott29 wrote:Wow do i have a lot to learn reading the way you broke that down just starting to figure out things on maps . I have to go back and learn more.

Didn't really detail it at all Just tried to give a general view of what I noticed most by looking at the map.. And if I were scouting this piece where I would start. Their is other great looking possible bedding spots that I didn't mark. Just because you would have 20 places to check.

Dans videos really show lone trees in swamp being great for bedding. Definitely check out Dans swamp bedding if you haven't seen it. So much great information in that video.

Those saddles im sure are hunted on southeast side map. But if your not seeing alot of pressure I'd check those out too. That east rut funnel goes just south,southeast of that saddle and I'd think a buck may cruise it to scent check doe trails that go through that saddle on a cold front.

I wish more commented on these type of threads to learn from each other. We all see things in different ways on maps.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:36 am

Now is not time. I would grid walk whole area a piece at a time. I would divide it up into sections. Learn it to best of you ability making note of anything an everything of interest. Hunt it according to contours and areas of interest. It take a few years to put history with an area for it to fall in place. But, when it does it like you are not throwing a hunt at it. Its like that is a good place to be today with a north wind and dropping temps. Or, it is opening gun weekend, I need to be at this place in morning. True you can look at lay of land and get some what of idea. But, it is now like boots on ground with hard work and past hunts with history.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:19 pm

Looks like some good ground! I agree with Tennhunter3 with the points and bowls. Those are the spots I like to check first. Don't overlook areas around water. Seems alot of hunters don't like crossing water even if it's a few inches deep.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 am

Don’t have much to add that hasn’t been already…well done. I did notice a few pinch points I’d check out too but not sure how to mark it up. I’d like to hear your results from scouting it though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”