Not sure how to setup

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NySRitual33

Not sure how to setup

Unread postby NySRitual33 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:19 pm

I have a piece of public that I've been eye balling the last couple years and finally went in and scouted 2 weeks ago. All of the heavy sign is with 40yards of the road. The buck has atleast 100rubs waist to chest high in this little 5acre spot. It's got a wall of cover by the road then opens up to over look a creek bottom that has 3 streams dump into. Across the stream is a very steep hill. The banks of the streams are a straight drop of 6-10'. I found where 2 low spots are and the deer are using. Towards the south west is an agg field and apple trees are loaded and only 20yards from his bed. To the north across the road is a very steep hill that goes for .5mile. To the east .75mile is more hay fields.

The buck bed is located on a small point dropping into the larger stream. Now my thought is if I sit above him up stream where there is a community rub I may be able to let my thermals catch the stream and pull right down past him. However it would be close to his bed within 5-10yards. All of his rubs lead to the community rub heading towards the hay field on private and reverse going to his bed. My concern on a strong solid wind is it will bounce all over the creek bottom and he will blow out of the area.

I'll try to get some pictures up. But going off what I stated above what would you do? I'll add any extra info if needed.

Thanks

NySRitual33

Re: Not sure how to setup

Unread postby NySRitual33 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:30 pm

1st picture is where all the trails go into before heading to the ag field just beneath it. Also the purple line indicates the public land boundary. This is just a small piece off the main chunk of property.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 am

If I were pretty sure he's bedding where you indicated, I'd leave the hang-on in the garage and just have somebody drop me off on the road, in pre-dawn darkness (on a morning of decent wind direction or no wind.)
Slip in just out of sight of the road and start glassing for him to return to his bed at first light.

Peg his exact location/bed, and spend the rest of the day stalking him in his bed.

You've got all day to cover thirty (?) yards.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 am

It doesn’t sound like good odds setting up with your thermals falling into the creek towards his bed if he is that close to the creek.

If I understand the situation correctly he is bedding close to the apple trees. There is a good chance he will stage around the apples.
Is there any chance you can sneak up the creek to within range of the apple trees? Use the steep bank as cover?
NySRitual33

Unread postby NySRitual33 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Possibly but it would be very tricky. The bottom is wide open and the bank on the opposite side and it is thick and nasty all the way around his bed and the apple trees. Might be something I need to try with a strong wind. Use the noise of the wind to creep in close. I'm going back next week to look real quick again to get a game plan and pull my camera on one of the exit trails that is down to mud about 80yrds from his bed. Maybe one of the ditches leads close to him and I didn't realize it my first time in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”