Critique my first attempt at a map

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PApublic1187
500 Club

Critique my first attempt at a map

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:50 pm

I recently attempted to draw an area out with markers to make the pieces of the puzzle come together. If anyone would have done anything different let me know this was my first real attempt.

Here is the area I marked up
Map for Lake_LI.jpg

Here is the area with satellite and topo with no markings
InkedHillMap Lake_LI.jpg

I'm sure I am missing some key factors, I am looking to be able to better understand areas by mapping and allowing the transitions to pop out more and especially maybe a transition hub of 3 or more areas coming together.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Critique my first attempt at a map

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:37 pm

Being more hill country oriented, I would look at the highest and lowest parts and run that upper 1/3rd. If your prevailing wind is going to be anything north those ridge fingers above the stream would be worth a look.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:04 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Being more hill country oriented, I would look at the highest and lowest parts and run that upper 1/3rd. If your prevailing wind is going to be anything north those ridge fingers above the stream would be worth a look.

Hey thanks for the response, if you are referring to the part outlined in red with the 3 points coming out it is a swamp that just has some oddly shaped outer transition line. Or am I missing something and would these be considered ridges. Here's a better look at the area you are referring to, are they still considered ridges?

Fingered Swamp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:35 pm

InkedHillMap Lake_LI~2.jpg
Pretty much this line I would be walking to look for bedding.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:07 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:InkedHillMap Lake_LI~2.jpg.

Ok I understand, even in an elevation change of only 200 feet or even less I assume the bucks will still most likely be bedding on that higher edge (military crest)? This should help me narrow down my scouting, Thanks!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:27 pm

PApublic1187 wrote:

Ok I understand, even in an elevation change of only 200 feet or even less I assume the bucks will still most likely be bedding on that higher edge (military crest)? This should help me narrow down my scouting, Thanks!

In one of Dan's videos he talks about the thermal rise even in subtle areas. It can be a mostly flat piece with just a little hump. If there is proper cover for a deer, they will use it for bedding or travel. On our land, we have a flat overgrown brush lot. But it's not strictly flat. Scouting in early spring at a high point in the cover I found a large bed full of hair and nearby scrapes.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:50 pm

I would also look at the upper 1/3 and points on the edge of the swamp that I circled in thin red line. Also upper 1/3 on the southeast end of the property. And the point I circled in thicker red line really catches my eye for buck bedding I have seen it too many times on little finger ridges like that especially with the swamp edge below-unless that is an access road above with easy access to that spot

BFBC580C-AB10-4BAE-87CB-07ACE3F412E9.jpeg
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:08 am

brancher147 wrote:I would also look at the upper 1/3 and points on the edge of the swamp that I circled in thin red line. Also upper 1/3 on the southeast end of the property. And the point I circled in thicker red line really catches my eye for buck bedding I have seen it too many times on little finger ridges like that especially with the swamp edge below-unless that is an access road above with easy access to that spot

BFBC580C-AB10-4BAE-87CB-07ACE3F412E9.jpeg

The area you circled in thin red line has the most satellite sign. At a point in one of the swamps in that cirlcle it becomes narrow with timber squeezing the swamp into almost an hour glass shape.
From looking at maps it seems there is lots of travel at the most narrow point which makes sense. Assuming the direction of travel is towards the wet area of the swamp just south of the swamp and assuming the deer may bed on humps of dry land in that area just because of the amount of trails visible cutting across.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 am

Huntress13 wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:

In one of Dan's videos he talks about the thermal rise even in subtle areas. It can be a mostly flat piece with just a little hump. If there is proper cover for a deer, they will use it for bedding or travel. On our land, we have a flat overgrown brush lot. But it's not strictly flat. Scouting in early spring at a high point in the cover I found a large bed full of hair and nearby scrapes.

I see, I am starting to put the pieces together as how to properly think and process the way deer move within their environment, and how important thermals really are. Excited to see how much of a difference playing the wind and thermals into my favor. We will see!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 am

I agree with others above.
The high spots near swamp i would definitely check out.

That big red area looks very good as others have mentioned.
Plenty of edge transition and water ,funnel activity in that area.

Screenshot_20210824-174119_Painter.jpg
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:42 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I agree with others above.
The high spots near swamp i would definitely check out.

That big red area looks very good as others have mentioned.
Plenty of edge transition and water ,funnel activity in that area.

Screenshot_20210824-174119_Painter.jpg

The most action is coming from the very top right of your big red area. At least from satellite sign, there is lots of trails going through the swamp and from the topographical feature right in that corner I guess it makes sense, a nice funnel point for path of the least resistance. Do you think they are heading towards the part of the swamp with more water to bed on a high spot and use the water as protection?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”